Backpacking, Hiking and Camping - the PowerAdd Pilot Pro

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CapnLoki

Re: Backpacking, Hiking and Camping - the PowerAdd Pilot Pro

Post by CapnLoki » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:47 am

OkyDoky wrote:
Sleeprider wrote:OkyDoky, what are you using to charge from 12 volt sources?

I had emailed Poweradd for plug size but they never responded so I started looking on what I had. I have a Toshiba T215 notebook that has the same size plug. When PR suggested a boost converter and CaponLoki suggested a Dell one I wasn't sure a Dell plug would work so I found this Toshiba one that works. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WVML9M/ref ... ZXPGPJ0CC9
Just to be clear, I mentioned the Dell simply as an example of a suitable voltage and current match, not the plug size. You should verify the current polarity on the plug before use.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:07 am

CapnLoki wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:
Sleeprider wrote:OkyDoky, what are you using to charge from 12 volt sources?

I had emailed Poweradd for plug size but they never responded so I started looking on what I had. I have a Toshiba T215 notebook that has the same size plug. When PR suggested a boost converter and CaponLoki suggested a Dell one I wasn't sure a Dell plug would work so I found this Toshiba one that works. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WVML9M/ref ... ZXPGPJ0CC9
Just to be clear, I mentioned the Dell simply as an example of a suitable voltage and current match, not the plug size. You should verify the current polarity on the plug before use.
How do you verify the polarity when it is not specified on either the Poweradd info or the Toshiba DC plug? The plugs look the same. I have used the Toshiba plug twice without problems.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:45 am

Almost all coax plugs have the power pin in the center and ground on the outside. That avoids accidentally applying current when the plug is out of a device and is just standard practice. I think you can safely skip getting out the multimeter.

Thanks for the link and information. Looks like a good solution and with Prime, the price looks good.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:59 am

OkyDoky wrote:[
I use a multimeter, but if you've already run successfully, its almost certainly the normal "center positive" setup. As for Sleeprider's assertion that's its not worth testing, there are enough exceptions to the conventions that I always check, especially when plugging into expensive equipment. For example, a number of musical instrument mini-amps and filters use a 9V center pin negative setup.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Today I recharged my Poweradd up, after 2 nights use, on my Duracell Powerpack 300 using the above 12 volt plug. I started at 7% on my PowerAdd at 9AM and at 1PM it was at 70% but my Duracell was on red and no longer charging. I wasn't surprized by this as the Duracell only gives me one night on my CPAP and this charge was more than one night on the Poweradd. I have now plugged both up to the AC to complete charging. For myself I plan on charging on a running diesel with 2 batteries but if you are planning on charging from another battery source make sure it is big enough to charge completely or you will need to have a running battery charge or AC charge.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

raftergirl

Post by raftergirl » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:00 pm

I had everything hooked up exactly like the OP showed it. There's really only one way to plug in the cords. I used the J adapter, which was the only one that fit and was the one used by the OP. I turned on the battery and it read 100% and 12V. I plugged it into my cap machine and the machine did not turn on or light up. Nothing. I tried the PowerAdd with a USB cable to my iPod and it seemed to work ok. Maybe the cable was bad? Anyway. It's on it's way back to Amazon.

I contacted the BPS battery folks to seem how many nights they thought I'd get off the C-100 battery. 1-2 was the answer. When I plugged in the info on my machine and pressure settings (15/17) on the battery calculator on cpap.com it gave an estimation of 11 hours run time. That's not enough for me to spend $300. I will just go without my cpap on 2 night kayak trips. For rafting, I can carry my 12V battery set-up easily.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Rafter,

I use the C-100 with my little Transcend Apap (10cm -- 13cm) ....the battery is new and with a full charge I only get between 8 and 9 hours out of the battery. So I don't think you would get quite as much time as they quote on the estimator.

The C-100 is fine for my needs but it sounds like you'd have to double up two batteries to get a full two nights if you went the C-100 route.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

raftergirl

Post by raftergirl » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks Tangled Hose. That's what I am afraid of. Spending a big chunk of money for only one night. Two C-100 batteries runs about $500. Way too much for just a couple nights. I was willing to try out the PoweAdd battery for $130 to see what kind of mileage I'd get. But two of them at $260 and about 4 lb. still seems a bit much for two nights of kayak camping. I think what I'll do is try a two night trip without cpap and see how I feel. If I feel terrible, then I'll think more about the investment. For my weeklong rafting trips, I'm all set with my 12 V battery system, so I can easily use my cpap. Those are the trips where I definitely need the rest and energy the most.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:14 pm

Raftergirl,
I don't know if you are getting a replacement on your Poweradd or have given up on it all together. Just wanted to let you know I get 15 to 15.5 hours of CPAP off one charge on the Poweradd. My pressures are bilevel 15/11 and this gets me 2 nights sleep before I have to recharge.

raftergirl

Post by raftergirl » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:37 pm

Thanks OkyDoky. That does give me a glimmer of hope that a C-100 might give me two nights on my cpap. Given the random quality of the PowerAdd, I'm not sure about trying it again? I just blew my tax refund money on a new mattress and an upgrade on my computer......two things there are guaranteed to improve my sleep and my life in general. I'll have to think more about the C-100 or another PowerAdd?

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:40 pm

raftergirl wrote:Thanks OkyDoky. That does give me a glimmer of hope that a C-100 might give me two nights on my cpap. Given the random quality of the PowerAdd, I'm not sure about trying it again? I just blew my tax refund money on a new mattress and an upgrade on my computer......two things there are guaranteed to improve my sleep and my life in general. I'll have to think more about the C-100 or another PowerAdd?
Have you considered LiFePO4 such as http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N59CQHS ?
This is a bit heavier than Li Ion or Li Poly but its a better match to 12v systems and cheaper. It can use the same charger as your AGM batteries (though for long term you might consider a lithium specific charger). This example was picked randomly - I have no experiance with them but there seem to be a number available. Make sure the specs are true Amp-hours, not "equivalent," and the battery needs to have a "battery management system" built in to make sure the cells charge and discharge evenly.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Loki.....looks like your doggie is going to slip off das boat!

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

raftergirl

Post by raftergirl » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:38 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
raftergirl wrote:Thanks OkyDoky. That does give me a glimmer of hope that a C-100 might give me two nights on my cpap. Given the random quality of the PowerAdd, I'm not sure about trying it again? I just blew my tax refund money on a new mattress and an upgrade on my computer......two things there are guaranteed to improve my sleep and my life in general. I'll have to think more about the C-100 or another PowerAdd?
Have you considered LiFePO4 such as http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N59CQHS ?
This is a bit heavier than Li Ion or Li Poly but its a better match to 12v systems and cheaper. It can use the same charger as your AGM batteries (though for long term you might consider a lithium specific charger). This example was picked randomly - I have no experiance with them but there seem to be a number available. Make sure the specs are true Amp-hours, not "equivalent," and the battery needs to have a "battery management system" built in to make sure the cells charge and discharge evenly.
If I get 2 nights off a 12V 20A AGM battery, how would this one compare? One night? Or more? If it was 2 nights for sure, then $155 and 3 lb. weight might be worth it.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:46 am

raftergirl wrote:
CapnLoki wrote: Have you considered LiFePO4 such as http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N59CQHS ?
If I get 2 nights off a 12V 20A AGM battery, how would this one compare? One night? Or more? If it was 2 nights for sure, then $155 and 3 lb. weight might be worth it.
This is only 10AH, so it will be marginal with your pressure. My pressure is 9-10, and it runs 4AH a night, so I'd guess you're around 5-7 AH. To cover two nights and make sure you're not completely draining every trip, you probably want at least 15 AH. The battery management system or BMS, should prevent the worst effect of a total drain - LiFePO4 holds its voltage nicely down towards the end, but it can be damaged if taken all the way to zero, so the BMS should shut it down before that happens. I mentioned this battery because its a bit more power (I think) than the Powerad or C100.

To replace your 20 AH AGM you would need something like:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H7I13A4
which gives 20AH at 6.1 pounds, for $260. Prices (and weight) are falling, so it wouldn't surprise me if this size battery goes for $200 later this year, and maybe weighs a few ozs less.

Finster63

Post by Finster63 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:40 am

At 6.1 lbs for the battery alone, this would be the heaviest item in my backpack.

Heavier than my 4 person tent, my complete cookset, sleeping bag, etc.

The 4.7 lbs for the entire CPAP setup (Poweradd + ResMed) is not exactly practical, but it's the best solution I've found for multiple nights of backpacking.
Weights:
The PowerAdd unit without any connections weighs 28.25 ounces (1.8 lbs)
The PowerAdd + connector + REMStar 60 + hose + mask weighs 75.75 ounces (4.7 lbs)
Poweradd has huge problems with quality control, but for me it is the best solution - even with having to send the first one back.
Everyone has different needs, but for backpacking I think most people will want to go with the lightest option.
Home: ResMed S8 Escape II
Backpacking: PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus with the PowerAdd 32000mAh battery:http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103170&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Travel: Zzz-PAP 'Silent Traveler'