Backpacking, Hiking and Camping - the PowerAdd Pilot Pro

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Finster63

Re: Backpacking, Hiking and Camping - the PowerAdd Pilot Pro

Post by Finster63 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 pm

I assume you also used the 12-volt direct connector for the PR System 1 60 series as well, and omitted any humidifier?
How do you hook up a 12 volt Respironics adapter? I see lots of adapters but nothing that looks like 12 volt. Did you have to buy something else and can this unit be recharged from 12 volt?
I did not use a 12v direct connector for the PR system - I connected from PowerAdd directly to the CPAP using the included PowerAdd cable and adapter. The PowerAdd has an adapter ("J") that fits the PR.
I did not use a humidifier.
No need for the cigarette lighter adapter. The O.P. can correct me if I'm wrong, but the battery comes with coax connectors that conduct positive and ground directly to the machine. The kit includes coax adapters including a size that fits in the cpap machine. It's a straight connection, and much better than using the lighter adapter. Using coax means no possibility of reversing polarity, and the connection is much more secure.
Well said, Sleeprider!
Home: ResMed S8 Escape II
Backpacking: PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus with the PowerAdd 32000mAh battery:http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103170&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Travel: Zzz-PAP 'Silent Traveler'

Finster63

Post by Finster63 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Here is what my setup looks like for the PR System One 60:

Close up of the "J" adapter attached to the PowerAdd cable:

You can see the various adapters that the PowerAdd comes with in the pics.
The adapters just plug into the PowerAdd cable.
Last edited by Finster63 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backpacking: PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus with the PowerAdd 32000mAh battery:http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103170&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:24 pm

Thanks for the pics. I'm a visual person and that really helps. I think that is about as minimal as you can get. Do you see any problem recharging with a running vehicle battery? And how many recharges do you think it would handle?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Finster63

Post by Finster63 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:37 pm

I'll post the results from the S8 as soon as I finish testing...
For the S8 I had to use the ResMeds 12v dc converter (shown below) -

My setup has the PowerAdd using the PowerAdd cable and a PowerAdd male adapter.
The PowerAdd male adapter connects to the piece I made.
The piece I made has a female adapter wired to a 12v female cigarette socket.
The ResMed 12v plugs into the cigarette socket and into the CPAP.

This what my setup looks like for the ResMed S8 Escape II:

This is a close up of the piece I had to create:

Finster63

Post by Finster63 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:44 pm

OkyDoky wrote:Thanks for the pics. I'm a visual person and that really helps. I think that is about as minimal as you can get. Do you see any problem recharging with a running vehicle battery? And how many recharges do you think it would handle?
I don't see a problem charging directly from a car battery if you get the input volts and amps correct.

I don't see myself camping for more than three nights in a row, but if I did - even though it is highly inefficient - I could always use a 12v dc inverter plugged into the car's cigarette lighter socket, and then plug the PowerAdd's 110v AC wall wart into the inverter. Using that config, I won't have to worry about volts and amps - just plug it in...

I have no idea how many recharges it can handle...

Finster63

Post by Finster63 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:57 pm

I tested the ResMed S8 Escape II with the PowerAdd last night (see the earlier post for the configuration using the ResMed 12v dc adapter)

I slept for 8 1/2 hours and the PowerAdd had 36% power left.

So in my test using the S8, at a pressure level of 9, the PowerAdd will work for one night only.

SleepingSue

Post by SleepingSue » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:44 pm

I got the Poweradd battery yesterday, charged it to 100% and used it last night

I used it with my Philips Respironics Series 60 autopap with the same setup that Finster use a few posts back. I used the cable included with the Poweradd and its J attachment. No humidifier or heated hose.

The machine's pressure is set at at range of 7 to 10. Last night the average was only about 7.3. It worked great and still had 82% power remaining this morning. I'm going to continue using it the next couple nights to see how it goes.

The same Poweradd did NOT work with my older Devilbiss autopap. The power would come on briefly to light up the screen, but as soon as I tried to use the mask (or even before, it seemed) the power died. I did try setting the ramp on the Devilbiss as low as it would go (a pressure of 3.0), but the same thing happened.

I'm looking forward to using this for traveling and camping.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:04 pm

That's helpful to know two people have gotten PR S1 Auto machines to work on this setup, and it appears to be good for more than one night.

SleepingSue

Post by SleepingSue » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:07 pm

An update on my usage - this is very exciting. I've had four nights and could probably get one more.

Using:
Poweradd™ Pilot Pro 32000mAh Monster Capacity Multi-Voltage (5V 9V 12V 16V 19V 20V) Portable Charger External Battery Backup Power Bank
(from Amazon - I actually bought a used one from AmazonWarehouse deals)
I set it to 12 volts and used the J connector and the enclosed cable

With:
Philips Respironics System One Series 60 autopap set at a pressure of 6 to 10 (average about 6.4 the last few nights) without humidifier or heated hose
(In a previous post I incorrectly said it was set at 7 to 10)

I started by charging the PowerAdd to 100%

After one night: 82% charge remained after 6.5 hours
After two nights: 61% (7 hr)
After three nights: 41% (7.5 hr)
After four nights: 21% (6.5 hr)

I plugged the PowerAdd in to recharge it. It charged to 100% in about 6 hours

Finster63

Post by Finster63 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Excellent news, Sue! ! !
Thanks for the update!

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 pm

Sue, this puts camping back in play! I've been looking for a solution that would make it possible to take motorcycle trips without a hotel stay EVERY night.

Thanks for doing this testing. This solution will completely work for what I had in mind, and the only thing that would make it better is a mobile 12 volt charger. Still, 3 nights is enough for what I need. I'm in, and for the price of a single motel stay.

rogerconnelly

Post by rogerconnelly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:18 pm

All - this thread is fantastic and once again cpaptalk has proved to be just the place I needed to get the right information - so thank you!

However, I'd like to try and make 100 percent sure I've got the answer I need before I invest in this battery (which I desperately need for camping trips like others here).

A year ago my equipment supplier "upgraded" me to the 60 series PR System One, mostly on the recommendation that I would love the heated tube. When this upgrade happened, I didn't realize that the power supply for this 60 series was different from my old PR System One (that had the non-heated tube) and thus I was inadvertently making the $250 battery I had bought for my old PR System One obsolete. And the added insult is that our friends at cpap-dot-com seem to have stopped selling those $250 batteries and now only sell ones for $295 or $350 that are rated to work with my new set up. I'm therefore very excited to have found this (possible?) solution for only $130 on amazon-dot-com.

So, what I really need to know is: has anyone with the 60 series PR System One used this Poweradd Pilot Pro 32000mAh battery with success (with the obvious caveat that you skip using the humidifier and heated tube on those battery nights)? Judging by the systems listed in some of your profiles I think the answer here is "yes" - but I just want to be sure before I buy what looks to be an excellent solution to my current predicament

- Roger

Amenite

Post by Amenite » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:05 pm

rogerconnelly wrote:...

So, what I really need to know is: has anyone with the 60 series PR System One used this Poweradd Pilot Pro 32000mAh battery with success
The pictures are clear and labeled too, it's a PRS1 60 series hooked up there so the answer to your question is basically "yes". I would have been able to tell you first hand too, but the unit I ordered from Amazon would not charge after it arrived, the display was rather funky, the display would randomly activate when handled, and the inner box (which was very nice BTW) was somewhat banged up. It's on a truck back to Amazon as we speak.

But there must be a way to adapt the battery you have to work with the PRS1. I may be mistaken, but it looks very much like you could hack the cord from a Dell Latitude or Vostro notebook computer to use for the plug too. These Dell laptop bricks I use output 90W.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:40 pm

Roger, there is a DC power cord for the 60 series that you can use to power from a battery. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/dc-pow ... hines.html I use the cord to plug into a Duracell PowerPack https://www.cpap.com/productpage/dc-pow ... hines.html It is heavy and has limitations so I am looking at this battery for the size and light weight. When I asked how to connect with the 60 series dc cord they said it was unnecessary. It has an adapter that plugs into the 60 series.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Finster63

Post by Finster63 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:47 pm

There are lots of comments on Amazon about some of the batteries being lemons. My first one was. I returned it and got another.
The new one is working perfectly so far.