Backpacking, Hiking and Camping - the PowerAdd Pilot Pro

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Finster63

Backpacking, Hiking and Camping - the PowerAdd Pilot Pro

Post by Finster63 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Hello All -

I wanted to find a way to go backpacking and take my CPAP.

Adant33 did the initial research here: viewtopic/t97350/Battery-power-packs-for-camping.html
All I want to do is verify and expand on their findings.

I bought a PowerAdd Pilot Pro 32000mAh battery from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Pilot-Pr ... B00DN0KBXU
I tried it with my ResMed S8 Escape II using their proprietary 12v dc converter.
The battery drained within 4 hours: viewtopic/t102743/ResMed-Escape-II-S8-a ... empts.html
Since 4 hours would not be enough, I bought a PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus.

It worked for 7 1/2 hours. Not as well as I hoped. It turned out the PowerAdd was defective - it would drain slowly to about 60% (6+ hours) and then go to 0% and shut down within minutes.
If you read the comments, there have been several defective units sent out.

I returned the defective PowerAdd, and the new one works great!
I used it three nights in a row without recharging on the REMStar at a pressure of 9.
It lasted 23 1/2 hours before it got down to 6%.
The first night I used it for 7+ hours and it went down to 70%.
The next night I used it for another 7+ hours and it went down to 40%.
The third night I used it for 8+ hours and it was at 6% when I shut it off.

Tonight I'll hook up the S8 with the PowerAdd using the DC12 adaptor and see how long it will last...
Last edited by Finster63 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home: ResMed S8 Escape II
Backpacking: PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus with the PowerAdd 32000mAh battery:http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103170&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Travel: Zzz-PAP 'Silent Traveler'

Finster63

Re: Backpacking, Hiking and Camping - the PowerAdd Pilot Pro

Post by Finster63 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:10 pm

Weights:
The PowerAdd unit without any connections weighs 28.25 ounces (1.8 lbs)
The PowerAdd + connector + REMStar 60 + hose + mask weighs 75.75 ounces (4.7 lbs)

So, it's not "light" but if it means a good night's sleep, I'll lug while backpacking.
Will greatly reduce the amount of space used when car camping also (I used to take a 12v deep cycle marine battery)
Home: ResMed S8 Escape II
Backpacking: PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus with the PowerAdd 32000mAh battery:http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103170&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Travel: Zzz-PAP 'Silent Traveler'

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:53 am

I appreciate the information. Getting nearly 3 sessions on a battery that weighs less than 2-lbs is not bad. Worth considering, and the cost is reasonable. I assume you also used the 12-volt direct connector for the PR System 1 60 series as well, and omitted any humidifier?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:12 am

How do you hook up a 12 volt Respironics adapter? I see lots of adapters but nothing that looks like 12 volt. Did you have to buy something else and can this unit be recharged from 12 volt?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:01 am

The battery has a 12 volt 4.5 amp output. This could be directly connected to the CPAP using a home-made patch cord and coax connectors, or one could use the 12 volt connector sold by Philips, but the cigarette plug is completely unnecessary. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -cord.html

There is no power inversion or transformer needed since the battery output meets the power requirement as-is. I assume the O.P simply used the supplied Laptop power connector with a supplied terminal adapter that fit the CPAP.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:19 am

Sleeprider wrote:The battery has a 12 volt 4.5 amp output. This could be directly connected to the CPAP using a home-made patch cord and coax connectors, or one could use the 12 volt connector sold by Philips, but the cigarette plug is completely unnecessary. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -cord.html

There is no power inversion or transformer needed since the battery output meets the power requirement as-is. I assume the O.P simply used the supplied Laptop power connector with a supplied terminal adapter that fit the CPAP.

I have that cord but is there an adapter from the cigarette plug to the unit and can you use 12 volt car battery to recharge and what plug? Or would you have to rewire a different connector to the Respironics cord. I currently use a duracell battery pack but am looking for something smaller that can be recharged from auto as we drive during the day.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:28 am

No need for the cigarette lighter adapter. The O.P. can correct me if I'm wrong, but the battery comes with coax connectors that conduct positive and ground directly to the machine. The kit includes coax adapters including a size that fits in the cpap machine. It's a straight connection, and much better than using the lighter adapter. Using coax means no possibility of reversing polarity, and the connection is much more secure.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks. Still looks like I would have to use an inverter though to recharge from my auto battery.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:52 am

Maybe not...The PowerAdd battery uses a power charger that converts AC power to 15 volts DC at 2 amps. A car's power outlet will typically produce 14.2-14.5 volts when running, and do that directly. Converting your car's DC power to AC and back to DC is pretty inefficient, but it can be done. A male DC power adapter to a coax plug into the DC input port should work to charge this from your car, as long as you're careful to get the polarity right.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks. I did find a site with a variety of cigarette plugs to coax. Haven't used the site so I don't want to post link yet. This maybe what I will replace my setup with when it fails. Interested in seeing more results from OP.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:03 pm

OkyDoky wrote:Thanks. Still looks like I would have to use an inverter though to recharge from my auto battery.
Think about this carefully - the output of the charger is 2 Amps, if you discharge fully you'll need around 5-6 hours to recharge back to around 80% full. The last 20% will take much longer. Also, although the battery may only have supplied about 10 Amp-hours, recharging it has inefficiencies in the charge process, in the wall wart power supply, and in the inverter. The net could be 50% efficient or worse, meaning it actually cost 20 Amp-hours which is a serious load on a starting battery. If this is a small, older battery it may be enough to prevent starting the car.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:44 pm

We have 2 batteries in our diesel and charging would be done while driving about 10 hours. Would that not work with this battery?

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:40 pm

OkyDoky wrote:We have 2 batteries in our diesel and charging would be done while driving about 10 hours. Would that not work with this battery?
Yes, that would work. If the diesel is running its alternator is easily capable of putting out 50 Amps or more. The only issue is how much the battery gets topped off in 10 hours - only testing will tell you that but I would guess around 90% or better.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:48 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:We have 2 batteries in our diesel and charging would be done while driving about 10 hours. Would that not work with this battery?
Yes, that would work. If the diesel is running its alternator is easily capable of putting out 50 Amps or more. The only issue is how much the battery gets topped off in 10 hours - only testing will tell you that but I would guess around 90% or better.
Thanks. It looks like it might be an option for me. I'm waiting for OP to post more testing.

jscholz

Post by jscholz » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:30 pm

I like the weight of that battery being tested. Its less than my owell 12-266 but I think I get a day or 2 more.