Need Advice-AirFit F10 Leaks!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NateS

Re: Need Advice-AirFit F10 Leaks!

Post by NateS » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:13 am

cwillis wrote:I get it with the headband, how you position it over the hose, yes I see that. Glad you found something that works for you, I really want this FFM thing to work cuz of nasal issues and mouth breathing. Bout to try my second night of F10, but keeping my Quattro nearby. Gonna try chinstrap also I guess. You gave up on FFM then?
No - I have NOT given up on my AirFit F10 FFM. I will keep working on it until all issues are resolved, and I am confident they will all be eventually resolved if I stick with it, keep being very observant, and keep getting advice from fellow cpaptalkers.

But I need to switch back to my other setup with the Wisp from time to time to let my girlfriend catch up on her sleep and rest and sometimes me too.

In fact, I think there are other cpaptalkers who switch back and forth from time to time for various reasons.

Best wishes, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

squid13

Post by squid13 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:24 pm

I've been trying this mask the last couple of nights and the only thing I have against it is the way you attach the bottom straps, I hate those post's. I have arthritis in my hands and sometimes it's hard to do, where if they had a clip it would be much easier, to bad there isn't a conversion kit to fit over the post. I measured a large but am wondering if a medium would be better, to expensive to buy a cushion and then find out you were wrong.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:23 pm

squid13 wrote:I've been trying this mask the last couple of nights and the only thing I have against it is the way you attach the bottom straps, I hate those post's. I have arthritis in my hands and sometimes it's hard to do, where if they had a clip it would be much easier, to bad there isn't a conversion kit to fit over the post. I measured a large but am wondering if a medium would be better, to expensive to buy a cushion and then find out you were wrong.
I too didn't like the way the bottom straps worked at first, stretching the straps in order to slip the loops at the end over the hooks in front, but now that I've gotten use to that system, I wish my Wisp straps attached that way too! Once I got used to it, I found/find it much more convenient for both putting the mask on and taking it off. I never have to fiddle with the clips coming unsnapped the way they often do on the Wisp.

With the Wisp, if a hook comes unsnapped, I have to pull the whole mask off my head and turn on the light to see to use my so-called "fine motor skills" to find the stray strap with the unsnapped snap, find the empty slot and then snap the thing back together and then put it back over my head; whereas with the F10, it never comes apart unless and until I want it to!

If arthritis makes it hard or painful for you to stretch the loops forward to slip them over the front hooks, you have the option of making the straps temporarily longer each night by re-doing the velcro which forms the loops, then slip the loops over the front hooks first, and then reach forward (as I do in the dark and lying down) and re-adjust both the loops at the same time with your left and right hands, tightening them as desired. That's my usual routine.

You might try this, squid.

Best wishes, Nate

cwillis

Post by cwillis » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:52 pm

That F10 sure seemed to leak early this morning, and my numbers were awful. I don't even want to say. Leak rate according to SH was at 38 or so? I used chinstrap[ for the first time also, at least I had success with that....

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:53 pm

cwillis wrote:That F10 sure seemed to leak early this morning, and my numbers were awful. I don't even want to say. Leak rate according to SH was at 38 or so? I used chinstrap[ for the first time also, at least I had success with that....
which leak rate?

what do the charts look like?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cwillis

Post by cwillis » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:50 pm

palerider wrote:
cwillis wrote:That F10 sure seemed to leak early this morning, and my numbers were awful. I don't even want to say. Leak rate according to SH was at 38 or so? I used chinstrap[ for the first time also, at least I had success with that....
which leak rate?

Palerider, since being on therapy now for about 50 days I had my worst night last night, my AHI was 17 with over 100 events registering as Central. I'm just going by Sleepyhead leak rate my charts from last night are simply alarming.Leak rate on SH was all over hovering around 40-45. I'm going back to Quattro tonight. Seeing some new sleep Drs. on Monday.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:42 am

I have used the Quattro for 5 years...Recently I decided to try the F10. I loved the weight and the way the air was diffused, but I could not stop the leaks. I tried it for 5 nights and then gave up and exchanged it for another Quattro.

MarciaD

Post by MarciaD » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Thank you for the ideas to control the air I feel from the mask. I tried the eye mask and a piece of fabric but both make it uncomfortable. For 4 yrs I've used the Fisher Paktel 406 successfully but keep thinking that there must be another mask I would like - esp. one that doesn't have the strap thing on the forehead. I've tried several at my pulmonary office and the F10 has come the closest.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:46 pm

cwillis wrote:
palerider wrote:
which leak rate?

Palerider, since being on therapy now for about 50 days I had my worst night last night, my AHI was 17 with over 100 events registering as Central. I'm just going by Sleepyhead leak rate my charts from last night are simply alarming.Leak rate on SH was all over hovering around 40-45. I'm going back to Quattro tonight. Seeing some new sleep Drs. on Monday.
cwillis, with the Respironics machines they include the flow vent rate in their total leak rate, so what you need to do is find the vent rate of your mask at your pressure. This is in the user manual. Subtract this amount from your total and your leak rate might not be bad at all.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:49 pm

OkyDoky wrote: cwillis, with the Respironics machines they include the flow vent rate in their total leak rate, so what you need to do is find the vent rate of your mask at your pressure. This is in the user manual. Subtract this amount from your total and your leak rate might not be bad at all.
I was trying to get info on *which* leak rate he was complaining about with sleepyhead, since SH reports both the total leak, and a calculated best guess at excess leak....

but, I kinda gave up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:13 pm

NateS wrote:I too didn't like the way the bottom straps worked at first, stretching the straps in order to slip the loops at the end over the hooks in front, but now that I've gotten use to that system, I wish my Wisp straps attached that way too! Once I got used to it, I found/find it much more convenient for both putting the mask on and taking it off. I never have to fiddle with the clips coming unsnapped the way they often do on the Wisp.
Yes, I love the bottom straps on the F10 way better than the clips that keep falling off the Eson. I've tried the Wisp with and without the clips. I generally tolerate it with them as at least they don't fall off putting the mask on!
If arthritis makes it hard or painful for you to stretch the loops forward to slip them over the front hooks, you have the option of making the straps temporarily longer each night by re-doing the velcro which forms the loops, then slip the loops over the front hooks first, and then reach forward (as I do in the dark and lying down) and re-adjust both the loops at the same time with your left and right hands, tightening them as desired. That's my usual routine.
Exactly, what I do as well. No reason. Just find it easier!

Best,

Mike

cwillis

Post by cwillis » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:42 pm

palerider wrote:
OkyDoky wrote: cwillis, with the Respironics machines they include the flow vent rate in their total leak rate, so what you need to do is find the vent rate of your mask at your pressure. This is in the user manual. Subtract this amount from your total and your leak rate might not be bad at all.
I was trying to get info on *which* leak rate he was complaining about with sleepyhead, since SH reports both the total leak, and a calculated best guess at excess leak....

but, I kinda gave up.
Palerider, I don't believe I was "complaining" about anything? Please I was only asking for advise, so the leak rate I was referring to is the leak rate on the graph, obviously changing with pressure.So after viewing your comment I believe I educated myself on the two values SH reports. Now I see that there are 2 values, last night my leak rate good wearing my Quattro just not so good wearing that F10 the night before. Ok, Palerider thank you for helping me educate myself. Just tryin to find the right mask.

NateS

Post by NateS » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:17 pm

NateS wrote:
No - I have NOT given up on my AirFit F10 FFM. I will keep working on it until all issues are resolved, and I am confident they will all be eventually resolved if I stick with it, keep being very observant, and keep getting advice from fellow cpaptalkers.

But I need to switch back to my other setup with the Wisp from time to time to let my girlfriend catch up on her sleep and rest and sometimes me too.

In fact, I think there are other cpaptalkers who switch back and forth from time to time for various reasons.

Best wishes, Nate
Despite all my previous bravado and optimism, I am afraid I have to give up on the AirFit F10 and call it a day (or a night )

For the past week or so, I have been starting out every night with the AirFit F10+Remzzz but, as the leak alarm starts sounding off and wakes both of us up, and I can't find any adjustment that will stop the leak alarm for more than a few minutes before it goes off again over and over, I have to turn off the machine, take it off and switch to the Wisp+headband over my mouth. Here's a good example of what my charts have been looking like with the break in between to switch from the AirFit F10 to the Wisp:

It's very easy to see the big difference before and after the break caused when I switch masks.

In addition, the Remzzz excess, which has to stick out of the AirFit F10 mask when the instructions are followed to stretch it, result in the top of the Remzzz mercilessly tickling my eyelids no matter how I try to arrange those liners, which pretty much equals the annoyance with the Wisp of having the sweatband slip down from my mouth as the night wears on.

In addition, I went to the concept of a full face mask because I couldn't stop the mouth dryness and yet I get the same mouth dryness with the AirFit F10 as I got with the Wisp and other nasal masks. And for the latter, I recently discovered a solution, quite by accident. After messing around with all the goopy gels and gummy products, plus the lozenges which irritated my stomach, I found that if I just make the sucking motions I made with a lozenge, without anything in my mouth, within seconds my mouth re-moisterizes itself in the same way as it did with the lozenges! And of course this works with either mask.

So I guess it's goodbye to the AirFit F10, which I deliberately kept long past the return period because I was determined to master it. I have a family member who sounds like he'd be interested in my passing it along.

Best wishes, Nate

PST

Post by PST » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:02 pm

Hi Nate,

I haven't followed the whole thread, so I apologize if this is redundant. I've been using the Quattro Air pretty successfully for a couple of months. It's kind of a cross between the AirFit 10 and the old Quattro. The mask part is like the Airfit, and the whole assembly is lighter with fewer parts than the older Resmed masks. However, it has more top support than the AirFit. I know no one can just keep trying one mask after another, but this might combine part of what you like about the AirFit with better leak control. I'm not perfectly satisfied, but I never expect to be.

By the way, I was disappointed to learn that you don't have the same beard as your avatar. That would look cool with any full face mask.

PST

NateS

Post by NateS » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:18 pm

Thought I'd post this here too for anyone struggling to get a leak-free fit with the AirFit F10:

While awaiting the cavalry to arrive at my front door with the next steps towards a hoped-for solution for the Hybrid mask, I had another good night with the AirFit F10, which I credit to a resized Comfort CPAP sticky foam liner sample sent to me by Ferris:
http://www.cpap-pads.com/order.html

It's called a "2a"

Makes me glad I chose not to return the AirFit F10 even though it didn't work at all the first 30 days of trying. And it doesn't hurt to have more than one arrow in one's quiver.

Regards, Nate