Need Advice-AirFit F10 Leaks!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sir NoddinOff

Re: Need Advice-AirFit F10 Leaks!

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:44 pm

OkyDoky wrote:Nate, I read somewhere, recently here, that if you get 0.0 several days in a row you need to unplug your machine for a while. Then check your AHI the next night.
Nah, nothing to those 0.0s. I'd literally go multiple weeks with my ResMed ASV with a constant 0.0 AHI. Sounds great on paper but maybe not so great in real life. Those ResMed machines are just very easy on reporting their results. On the other hand, using my PR autoSV for the last year, I've never had a single 0.0 and nothing much has changed in terms of treatment. Given that, my AHI is always below 1.0 AHI, so that's fine by me. IMO,It's all just algorithm juggling involving proprietary firmware... therefore nothing to take too seriously.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:26 pm

palerider wrote:
NateS wrote:Here's Last Night - I'm starting to wonder whether all these 0.00 nights are real:
zoom in on the flow waveform, to where you can see individual breaths, and then scroll across it.
you'll be able to see if there are times where you're having unflagged events.
remember, anything that is less than 10 seconds doesn't count for scoring purposes.
Thanks for that suggestion, Palerider. I will try that and report back.

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

library lady

Post by library lady » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 pm

Lukie wrote:My AirFit F 10 leaks too. You have to make sure you get a new mask cushion every month. The silicone gets floppy.
Also make sure you change your head gear when it gets stretched out. I buy a new one at Amazon because my ins won't pay for every three months.
Also pull it down a bit on your nose and tighten the lower straps when you feel a leak.
My F10 cushion, which is interchangeable with Quattro Air, lasts more than a month. I've been using my current cushion for almost 4 months. I change the cushion whenever the leaks become bothersome, and I rarely have leaks that go much over the red line anyway. I do have a spare cushion that I haven't broken out of the bag so that it's there when I need it, and at that point I'll know to get another for a spare. Next month I will have been using cpap for a full year, so the machine is very near the end of the rental period and I will own it.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

library lady

Post by library lady » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:00 pm

NateS wrote: Also, my mouth was extremely dry this morning - even more so than usual - probably due to those large leaks, I assume? (The main reason I switched to an FFM was to try to eliminate the dry mouth.)

Regards, Nate
Nate, I also experience dry mouth... My solution was a double-walled mug with a handle, a cover and a straw (mine from Target, but probably WalMart and others have similar versions. I fill it half-full of water, place it on a low stool a few feet from my bed where I won't trip on it, or, heaven forbid, tip it over onto my machine. When I wake up needing water, I turn the machine off (otherwise a spike on the leak chart), pull the connector off the mask and get a small amount of water to swish around in my mouth before swallowing. This works well for me because the F10 connector port is in direct alignment with my mouth. If your mouth is not in direct alignment, it is still possible to do this using a throw-away flexible straw, though a bit awkward... I wondered about that so experimented by holding the mask to my face so that it was positioned differently, and it can be done. These days, I don't experience dry mouth as much. I suspect that I've gotten used to it, but to some extent I've also trained myself to keep my mouth closed most of the time.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:17 pm

NateS wrote:
palerider wrote:
NateS wrote:Here's Last Night - I'm starting to wonder whether all these 0.00 nights are real:
zoom in on the flow waveform, to where you can see individual breaths, and then scroll across it.
you'll be able to see if there are times where you're having unflagged events.
remember, anything that is less than 10 seconds doesn't count for scoring purposes.
Thanks for that suggestion, Palerider. I will try that and report back.

Regards, Nate
Is this what you had in mind?:

If so, how would you interpret this?

Best wishes, Nate

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:26 pm

library lady wrote:
NateS wrote: Also, my mouth was extremely dry this morning - even more so than usual - probably due to those large leaks, I assume? (The main reason I switched to an FFM was to try to eliminate the dry mouth.)

Regards, Nate
Nate, I also experience dry mouth... My solution was a double-walled mug with a handle, a cover and a straw (mine from Target, but probably WalMart and others have similar versions. I fill it half-full of water, place it on a low stool a few feet from my bed where I won't trip on it, or, heaven forbid, tip it over onto my machine. When I wake up needing water, I turn the machine off (otherwise a spike on the leak chart), pull the connector off the mask and get a small amount of water to swish around in my mouth before swallowing. This works well for me because the F10 connector port is in direct alignment with my mouth. If your mouth is not in direct alignment, it is still possible to do this using a throw-away flexible straw, though a bit awkward... I wondered about that so experimented by holding the mask to my face so that it was positioned differently, and it can be done. These days, I don't experience dry mouth as much. I suspect that I've gotten used to it, but to some extent I've also trained myself to keep my mouth closed most of the time.
That's a great idea! I never would have thought of that!
I'm going to try that!
Neat way to avoid disassembling the mask and liner while getting some H20 relief!

Thank you, library lady.

Best wishes, Nate

MarciaD

Post by MarciaD » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:41 pm

I have a question about the AirFit F10. There are no leaks, but the air holes on top of the hose made for cold air at the top of my nose/between my eyes. Any of yuu experiencing this and if so, how is it remedied?

NateS

Post by NateS » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:02 pm

MarciaD wrote:I have a question about the AirFit F10. There are no leaks, but the air holes on top of the hose made for cold air at the top of my nose/between my eyes. Any of yuu experiencing this and if so, how is it remedied?
Have you tried routing the hose over your head, tucking it under the top strap? You can do that with most cpap masks.

If that doesn't work for you, or you prefer having the hose hanging downward, wearing a quality, softly-lined eyemask is usually a good alternative. You can even pull the eyemask downward slightly, so that the bottom of it covers the top portion of your nose, while still shielding your eyes from the airflow.

Regards, Nate

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:57 pm

NateS wrote:
MarciaD wrote:I have a question about the AirFit F10. There are no leaks, but the air holes on top of the hose made for cold air at the top of my nose/between my eyes. Any of yuu experiencing this and if so, how is it remedied?
Have you tried routing the hose over your head, tucking it under the top strap? You can do that with most cpap masks.

If that doesn't work for you, or you prefer having the hose hanging downward, wearing a quality, softly-lined eyemask is usually a good alternative. You can even pull the eyemask downward slightly, so that the bottom of it covers the top portion of your nose, while still shielding your eyes from the airflow.

Regards, Nate
Great advice! I also use eye lubricant at night and lubricant drops during the day per advice of the eye doc. Systane Overnight Therapy Gell at night and Systane Ultra or Systane Advance drops during the day. Either of the later works as a lubricant, but Advance also treats an eye condition that some folks have as well. I just couldn't see getting glasses for my one Pap eye for a 1 diopter adjustment. Funny, thats what they measured me, but I couldn't see a thing on any test out of that eye.

Still going well with the F10 I hope.

Best,

Mike

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Have the F10'and had leak issues. Tried a few things and now it works great . Only use Padacheek neck cushion and cinch the straps tightly . Problem solved .

cwillis

Post by cwillis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:13 pm

Nate you've given me advise, I'm following this thread because I too got an AirFit F10, tried it last night and had crazy leaks. Tonight I will close shave, want to find out if you've had success yet?

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:27 pm

cwillis wrote:Nate you've given me advise, I'm following this thread because I too got an AirFit F10, tried it last night and had crazy leaks. Tonight I will close shave, want to find out if you've had success yet?
Cwillis, the Remzzz have solved the leaking problem most nights, but not the dry mouth problem. I was hoping a FFM would solve the dry mouth problem for me. Also, there are still some nights where I have to switch to my Wisp+headband {over my mouth} because the F10+Remzzz sometimes still sets off the leak alarm on my machine, waking my girlfriend up. Maybe I have to further polish my technique of applying the Remzzz, although I did watch all their videos and think I am doing it right.

Best wishes, Nate

cwillis

Post by cwillis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:44 pm

NateS wrote:
cwillis wrote:Nate you've given me advise, I'm following this thread because I too got an AirFit F10, tried it last night and had crazy leaks. Tonight I will close shave, want to find out if you've had success yet?
Cwillis, the Remzzz have solved the leaking problem most nights, but not the dry mouth problem. I was hoping a FFM would solve the dry mouth problem for me. Also, there are still some nights where I have to switch to my Wisp+headband {over my mouth} because the F10+Remzzz sometimes still sets off the leak alarm on my machine, waking my girlfriend up. Maybe I have to further polish my technique of applying the Remzzz, although I did watch all their videos and think I am doing it right.

Best wishes, Nate
So you have a headband which you cut out the area where the elbow to hose connection is made? Will this work on this F10 ya think? Also how's your beard these days, cuz I like to keep a little stubble look.

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:12 pm

cwillis wrote: So you have a headband which you cut out the area where the elbow to hose connection is made? Will this work on this F10 ya think? Also how's your beard these days, cuz I like to keep a little stubble look.
No, I don't put the Ruby on anymore. I slip the headband - I think it's actually called a sweatband because it is supposed to go on your forehead and around your head - anyway I slip it onto the end of the large hose, then I connect the large hose to the mask of choice - any nasal or nasal cushion mask but not a FFM - I don't think it would work with the F10 - and I put the mask on properly.

After the mask is in position, I take hold of the sweatband, which is just hanging on the large hose, and I slide it up and over the top of my masked head and position is so that the sweatband is covering my mouth in front and slopes upward about over my ears and the back of my head, at sort of an angle sloping upward in back and downward in front.

The sweatband is soft cotton with elastic woven into it. It is not really tight, but as long as it covers my mouth (and part of my lower mustache and upper chin hair) I don't get any leaks and it works almost the same as taping with no tape and nothing sticky. If I have to talk, I slide it below my mouth for a few words and then back in place.

"As long as…" is the key phrase. It would be perfect if it always stayed in place, but sometimes in the early morning or sooner I find it has fallen down around my neck like a dog collar and that's when the dry mouth, leaks etc. resume.

Best wishes, Nate

cwillis

Post by cwillis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:36 pm

I get it with the headband, how you position it over the hose, yes I see that. Glad you found something that works for you, I really want this FFM thing to work cuz of nasal issues and mouth breathing. Bout to try my second night of F10, but keeping my Quattro nearby. Gonna try chinstrap also I guess. You gave up on FFM then?