first night on vpap auto

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tan

Re: first night on vpap auto

Post by tan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:Will not make any difference. The obstructions are deep inside my nose.
This part is a bit wrong but here goes right now the left nostril is congested. But I can still my finger into my nostril all the way to my skull with no resistance. The obstructions are deep inside
You may wish to achieve (gradually) such pressure settings that there is no pressure bump due to flow limitatiations or snoring, if possible and tolerable. Maybe even a bigger pressure support than 6 or 7. Dr Krakow's was 8.5, if i am not mistaken. If, of course, your case is about FLs. There is a lot of experimenting ahead of you.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:13 pm

I have it at 7 for tonight's sleep. The vpap is set at 25 ipap 14 epap 7 ps

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:24 am

Last nights was better. Shorter but better. Ahi is down a little. Flow limitations and snoring are down a good bit. Still woke up a lot. Will probably leave out like it is for a few days

tan

Post by tan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:57 am

Greg Riddle wrote:Last nights was better. Shorter but better. Ahi is down a little. Flow limitations and snoring are down a good bit. Still woke up a lot. Will probably leave out like it is for a few days
Looks like even minor leaks coincide with flow limitations. Though people here explained the machine is supposed to compensate for that. Interesting

tan

Post by tan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:03 am

Yeah, I would leave as is for a few days, and then would try ps==8

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Had to take an hour nap today. Good hour of sleep. Had a mask leak issue once. I know what happened. One thing that I noticed, since I started using the vpap I have been slobbering a bit while sleeping. That is what caused the mask leak

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:59 pm

not a bad leak though

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:15 pm

Experiment with trigger settings
I changed the trigger setting to very high when I first setup the vpap. I decided to change it back to med to see what happens. The first pic is the night before the test the second is the trigger set at med. The third is where I set it back to very high made I big difference in central apnea

Very high

Med

Back to very high

I'm thinking about lowering the epap to 13 and raising the ps to 8. I may leave the ps at 7 but not decided yet. I'm trying to see if it gets rid of the pause that happens several time over the night, about every ten minutes. The pause seems to also happen in clusters. Looks like a miniature central. They don't get flagged but every apnea I have starts with one of them a breath or two before I have a flagged oa

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:00 am

Best night of sleep in a long time. Didn't fall asleep quick but I didn't have the usual constant wake ups while trying to get to sleep. Woke up feeling good. Checked data and the pause at the end of exhale was gone. Snoring was up but I had severe congestion from allergies. Will post data later

tan

Post by tan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:30 am

Greg Riddle wrote:Best night of sleep in a long time. Didn't fall asleep quick but I didn't have the usual constant wake ups while trying to get to sleep. Woke up feeling good. Checked data and the pause at the end of exhale was gone. Snoring was up but I had severe congestion from allergies. Will post data later
hmm, is it a bug in SleepyHead? Pressure settings don't show properly

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:06 am

tan wrote:
Greg Riddle wrote:Best night of sleep in a long time. Didn't fall asleep quick but I didn't have the usual constant wake ups while trying to get to sleep. Woke up feeling good. Checked data and the pause at the end of exhale was gone. Snoring was up but I had severe congestion from allergies. Will post data later
hmm, is it a bug in SleepyHead? Pressure settings don't show properly
it's not so much a bug as a machine that sleepyhead doesn't know anything about yet.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

tan

Post by tan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:Best night of sleep in a long time. Didn't fall asleep quick but I didn't have the usual constant wake ups while trying to get to sleep. Woke up feeling good
A few things to check:
1) what time was the last meal on each day for the past week?

2) In File -> Preferences -> CPAP tab -> Custom CPAP User Event Flagging, have these:
#1: 20%, 5s
#2: 20%, 3s

Enable UF1 and UF2 on the Event chart and compare bad nights and good nights.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Thank you Tan. I did what you said. Both events have decreased more and more the lower I go on epap and increase ps. The last two nights the 3s event flag didn't change much but the 5s flags decreased by half. I'm going to stay at these settings for a few days and compare. I'm also going to take decongestant tonight to try to decrease oas. If the settings produce similar results for the rest of the week. I'll lower epap and raise ps and see what happens

tan

Post by tan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:06 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:Thank you Tan. I did what you said. Both events have decreased more and more the lower I go on epap and increase ps. The last two nights the 3s event flag didn't change much but the 5s flags decreased by half. I'm going to stay at these settings for a few days and compare. I'm also going to take decongestant tonight to try to decrease oas. If the settings produce similar results for the rest of the week. I'll lower epap and raise ps and see what happens
Your EPAPmin setting from the lab was 14, was it not? Going lower may increase the number of apneas. At this point, I would rather stay with current setting in an attempt to repeat your success.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:16 pm

Yes epap was supposed to 14 but I kept having those short 4-5 sec events that looked like short central apneas I lowered the epap to 13 and raised the ps to 8 to see if it helped. It appears to have helped. If the events, not flagged but still waking me up, are not gone they have been shortened greatly. That was what I needed. I wanted to stop waking up every ten minutes. If the oas don't drop after a couple days I may try to raise ps before I raise the epap

Im still wondering how the conversation with the sleep dr is going to go. Curious to see if she bitches about my adjustments

They can't bitch too much the dme screwed up the settings when I picked up the vpap