thank you for being here

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
McShane78

Re: thank you for being here

Post by McShane78 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:53 am

Thanks OkyDoky,
That is duly noted.The ref number said 561p. I have just changed my equipment. I hope I did it right And yes, no humidifier attached... yet.
I will let you all know how my night goes.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:13 pm

McShane, many users will over-humidify and this can cause stuffiness or congestion. If you use reasonable humidity levels then the impact of pressurized airflow on sensitive tissues in the nose, sinus and back of the throat is less, especially for air-conditioned dryer air. Even without CPAP people subconsiously adjust humidity and warmth in their sleep by breathing near or under the covers or pillow at times. With CPAP, there is no escape from the environmental air in the room. There is a reason a huge percentage of these machines are sold with humidifiers. If your doctor used one, he would have a humidifier and heated hose...I guarantee it.

We use these machines every night for 8-hours for the rest of our lives, in health, sickness, summer and winter. A humidifier just makes it easier to tolerate.

McShane78

Post by McShane78 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:26 pm

I appreciate your points Sleeprider and I will make sure to be more insisting with the doctor. I have an appointment for a compliance check-up and data analysis two months from now. Up until then I have a humidifier in my bedroom that I could use to set the general humidity in the room. I come from Denmark and it can be rather dry in the winter and very wet during summer. I will let you know how I feel in the morning.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:59 pm

McShane78 wrote:Thanks OkyDoky,
That is duly noted.The ref number said 561p. I have just changed my equipment. I hope I did it right And yes, no humidifier attached... yet.
I will let you all know how my night goes.
you got your equipment right well done, it's mighty confusing.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

McShane78

Post by McShane78 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:46 am

Hi guys

As promised, I am checking in with the report for the first night on "the apparatus".

I went to bed at around 11 PM. I have clean my face as per the instruction from the doctor. Initially I got 2,5 hours of sleep and woke up at 1:30 AM with a bit of a mask leak. The machine was definitely a lot higher than 4 cm/H2O. I remember what I read on here, got out of bed and started reading a little, instead of attempting to fall back asleep. After about 15 minutes I felt tired again, so I did some minor adjustment to the straps on the head gear ( to prevent the leaking which had woken me up).
I slept up until 6:45 AM. Dumbo told me I had had an AHI of 2,3

So what is the verdict? Well I feel good, but I am sure I can feel even better.

The Positive
- The machine sounds like " a day at the beach", when I inhale the waves are coming in and when I exhale they are going back out. That was a really nice mental picture that helped me sleep
- I dont have my usual morning headache.
- I felt far more refreshed when I woke up than I have in a long time.
- The usual morning fogginess was still there, but a there was a lot less of it.

The Negative
- My neck is a bit sore, I am guessing this is due to sleeping in new positions because of the mask and hose
- Half an hour after waking up, I felt tired again and had a bit of head ache.
- Being woken up because of air leaking in my face

All in all, I am very happy with the result so far, however I know that it has only been one night and I am still a big newbie. I am looking forward to getting more nights under my belt.

I hope you all have a nice weekend.

/McShane78

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:03 am

Sounds like a very successful first night. As you get more comfortable, things should improve. Your machine is set to 4.0 minimum as I guessed, so pretty soon you will want to look at your sleep data and see at what pressure the events are occurring, and at what pressures they seem to disappear for the most part. That will be the sweet spot for minimum pressure. Also, do yourself a favor and either turn off ramp, or limit it to 5 minutes. Everytime you start using your machine, the default settings take you 45 minutes to complete ramp.

Congrats on the successful first night!

McShane78

Post by McShane78 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:00 pm

Sorry for late reply. After two nights with completely dried up sinuses and morning nose bleedsI get your point about the humidifier. That has first priority when I see the doctor next. I am going to change the ramp settings as you suggested. I am finding it hard to breathe at 4 cm h2o.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Since you have the PR S1 60 series, please have your doctor specify "heated tube humidification". This will give you the option of classic pass-over humidity as well as the heated tube sensor control type. It avoids rain-out condensation, and the heated tube is only 15 mm diameter rather than 22 mm diameter. So it is lighter and more flexible. Price is effectively the same.

You will be more comfortable with that, and good call on turning off ramp.

McShane78

Post by McShane78 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:16 pm

I finally got around to look into the settings. Apparently the hospital has set a very limited number of features I can meddle with
Unfortunately "Ramp time" and "Ramp pressure" settings have been disabled by the medical staff. All I can do is turn the ramp background light on and off... how sad is that?

Anyway a quick update after the first week.
I think my sinuses are getting better even though I don't have the heated hose nor the humidifier. I still feel a bit like I have a cold during my waking hours, but I am guessing that will improve soon and I will be able to reap more benefits from my treatment.
I have stopped napping during the afternoons and I feel naturally tired around 11 pm in the evening. My sleep hygiene has improved and I am hoping I can keep it that way.
During this first week the machine tells me I have had:
60,2 hours of treatment time
There is also a number in there that is called compliance control, whatever that means. The number is: 39.249. I have absolutely no idea what this means, but I have not slept without using the machine.
I am not sure the Ahi indicated by the machine is correct. It says I have an average Ahi of 1,0 over the past week. last night the machine said I had 0,6 ahi. I think those numbers are very low and they can't be right.
I am sorry I can't give more numbers, the hospital has really limited my access to the settings and info.

Hope you are all doing well

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Please check your private messages because I sent you a PM with a link so you can download the clinical manual for your machine so that you can access the forbidden area your supplier has locked you out of.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.