I just want to sleep!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ron439

I just want to sleep!

Post by Ron439 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:37 am

Hi, I am the wife of a CPAP user. He's been on CPAP therapy since 2007 ... and I've been on and (mostly) off this forum since then. I have begun work to get him a new machine, figure we could use an update after 7 years, and I'm looking at the S9 Auto, since he's got the S8 Auto right now. I can't believe how much insurance is going to charge me for this machine (over $3000 out of pocket, what's the point?), so I told the DME to get lost and I'll get a new machine online. Figured that's my best option at this point -- am I on the right track?

But my problem this morning, as nearly every night since he got the darned machine ... he sleeps with his arm tucked up under his pillow and pushes the mask out of position, breaking the seal. This results in huge leaks and very loud "face farts". So why the heck doesn't it bother him and wake him up??? I can't sleep through it, how can he?? At one point I even bought him a very expensive CPAP pillow. What did he do? Positioned himself so that the mask did not fall in the cutouts, but rather at the extensions, resulting in the same problem. Like he just HAS to have that support under his cheek. When he accidentally lost the pillow on vacation a couple years ago, it wasn't worth the money to replace it. At least he is a compliant and faithful user, even with the leaks, the machine does help him sleep.

Anyway, I'm exhausted. Can't take it any more. I've been sick lately (respiratory crap going around, I haven't been able to shake it after 3 full weeks, ugh) and feel like I can't recover because I don't get a full night's sleep. I have talked to him many times about his sleeping position, but he doesn't see a problem with it. He says he can't help how he sleeps. And his solution is to tighten the straps of his mask, which doesn't help because that's not what is causing his problem. Aside from the fact that there's no way he can get full treatment because HE is causing massive leaks. Is there anyone out there who can give me some suggestions to fix this problem, other than ear plugs? Thanks in advance.
Posted by Ronnie's wife Cyndi!

49er

Re: I just want to sleep!

Post by 49er » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:44 am

Hi,

I am going to leave the technical details to other posters but I did want to say that if you aren't getting enough sleep, you need to move to another bedroom. I know this advice isn't popular but as one who has suffered big time for sleep problems, you need to take of yourself, particularly if you are getting sick.

I also want to warn you that many posters on this forum when they see posts like this will criticize you as being very insensitive and selfish. I hope that won't be the case with your situation but I did want to warn you.

My heart goes out to you and I hope you can solve the problem that turns into a win win situation.

49er

Ron439 wrote:Hi, I am the wife of a CPAP user. He's been on CPAP therapy since 2007 ... and I've been on and (mostly) off this forum since then. I have begun work to get him a new machine, figure we could use an update after 7 years, and I'm looking at the S9 Auto, since he's got the S8 Auto right now. I can't believe how much insurance is going to charge me for this machine (over $3000 out of pocket, what's the point?), so I told the DME to get lost and I'll get a new machine online. Figured that's my best option at this point -- am I on the right track?

But my problem this morning, as nearly every night since he got the darned machine ... he sleeps with his arm tucked up under his pillow and pushes the mask out of position, breaking the seal. This results in huge leaks and very loud "face farts". So why the heck doesn't it bother him and wake him up??? I can't sleep through it, how can he?? At one point I even bought him a very expensive CPAP pillow. What did he do? Positioned himself so that the mask did not fall in the cutouts, but rather at the extensions, resulting in the same problem. Like he just HAS to have that support under his cheek. When he accidentally lost the pillow on vacation a couple years ago, it wasn't worth the money to replace it. At least he is a compliant and faithful user, even with the leaks, the machine does help him sleep.

Anyway, I'm exhausted. Can't take it any more. I've been sick lately (respiratory crap going around, I haven't been able to shake it after 3 full weeks, ugh) and feel like I can't recover because I don't get a full night's sleep. I have talked to him many times about his sleeping position, but he doesn't see a problem with it. He says he can't help how he sleeps. And his solution is to tighten the straps of his mask, which doesn't help because that's not what is causing his problem. Aside from the fact that there's no way he can get full treatment because HE is causing massive leaks. Is there anyone out there who can give me some suggestions to fix this problem, other than ear plugs? Thanks in advance.

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:52 am

Ron439 wrote: I have talked to him many times about his sleeping position, but he doesn't see a problem with it. He says he can't help how he sleeps. And his solution is to tighten the straps of his mask, which doesn't help because that's not what is causing his problem. Aside from the fact that there's no way he can get full treatment because HE is causing massive leaks. Is there anyone out there who can give me some suggestions to fix this problem, other than ear plugs? Thanks in advance.

Have you checked the data on his machine? If in fact he is not getting full benefit from treatment it will show up on his data. Perhaps that would convince him that changes need to be made. If not there is always the other bedroom option.

Ron439

Post by Ron439 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks ... I'm not trying to be insensitive or selfish, I've always been supportive of his CPAP therapy ... but when you can hear the mask leaks in the bedroom all the way downstairs in the living room, over the sound of the TV, you know it's loud. We're not talking about normal leaks here. It's off the chart, to where the machine can't record his sleep info.

49er, I see you're using a SleepWeaver mask. I have thought about this as an option a number of times, that possibly it would give under the pressure of his arm without breaking the seal ... but heard mixed reviews. He uses a FF mask. Could this possibly help?

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:36 am

Ron439 wrote:Thanks ... I'm not trying to be insensitive or selfish, I've always been supportive of his CPAP therapy ... but when you can hear the mask leaks in the bedroom all the way downstairs in the living room, over the sound of the TV, you know it's loud. We're not talking about normal leaks here. It's off the chart, to where the machine can't record his sleep info.

49er, I see you're using a SleepWeaver mask. I have thought about this as an option a number of times, that possibly it would give under the pressure of his arm without breaking the seal ... but heard mixed reviews. He uses a FF mask. Could this possibly help?
Do you know your husband's pressure? For me, I am currently at 12/8 so I am not sure how it holds up when they are higher. And as an FYI, I sleep on my back in a straight forward position so I am not sure how my experience would be applicable to what your husband does.

But generally, I love this mask. I went through months of what I call full face mask h-ll before a good friend sent me this one. Much to my surprise, even though I have nasal obstruction and congestion issues which I am seeing an ENT for in January, I can wear it and usually keep my mouth closed. And I have minimal problems adjusting it for leaks.

Of course, your mileage will vary.

49er

Ron439

Post by Ron439 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:12 am

I don't remember what his pressure settings are ... it's been a while since I've looked. But probably not too far off from yours, from what I do remember. I think it's worth trying the SleepWeaver. I'll order one when I order his new machine. I see now that ResMed has a newer model, so will probably order that machine (S10). Might as well get the most updated version.

Ronnie just had a turbinate reduction, just over a week ago, a quick and fairly painless procedure. He said he was breathing better immediately. We'll see how he fares once it's all healed. In the meantime, it didn't help the mask issue!

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:49 am

Ron439 wrote:I don't remember what his pressure settings are ... it's been a while since I've looked. But probably not too far off from yours, from what I do remember. I think it's worth trying the SleepWeaver. I'll order one when I order his new machine. I see now that ResMed has a newer model, so will probably order that machine (S10). Might as well get the most updated version.

Ronnie just had a turbinate reduction, just over a week ago, a quick and fairly painless procedure. He said he was breathing better immediately. We'll see how he fares once it's all healed. In the meantime, it didn't help the mask issue!
Doesn't hurt to try. If you buy the mask from cpap.com, our hosts, there is a 30 day money back guarantee without having to purchase mask insurance.

It sounds like your husband had the surgery under local anesthesia if it was quick and fairly painless. Am I right about that? Glad to hear it greatly helped him.

Unfortunately, the only ENT who does that type of procedure in my area is not public transportation accessible and is too far out for me to feel safe in driving there. I will ask the ENT I am seeing in January if he would be willing to do it if he feels my turbinates are causing problems. But my guess is the answer will be no and the only option will be under anesthesia as it is with most ENTs.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:55 am

Since he has had the nasal surgery with better nose breathing, you might consider the nasal pillow mask. I sleep the same way with my right arm under a soft pillow, half on my stomach and half on my side. I have slept this way all my life and find it difficult if not impossible to change. With the AirFit P10 I rarely move it out of my nose and the venting noise is very quiet. There is always the possibility of mouth breathing, which I didn't have a problem with, but those who do have found ways to correct.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:30 am

Ron439 wrote: so I told the DME to get lost and I'll get a new machine online. Figured that's my best option at this point -- am I on the right track?
resmed s9 autoset (make sure you get the autoset, not the escape auto, it's crap) secondwindcpap.com not quite 1/10th the cost your dme wanted, but close.
Ron439 wrote:But my problem this morning, as nearly every night since he got the darned machine ... he sleeps with his arm tucked up under his pillow and pushes the mask out of position, breaking the seal. This results in huge leaks and very loud "face farts".
look up mask liners. they'll quiet the noise greatly. also, new masks may fit better than the old one... lots of new better masks these days.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Cyndi,

From what I'm reading, it sounds like Ronnie needs a different bed pillow. One that his head doesn't sink into, which skews his mask alignment.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:53 pm

49er wrote: you need to move to another bedroom. I know this advice isn't popular but as one who has suffered big time for sleep problems, you need to take of yourself, particularly if you are getting sick.
Ditto, If you have to sleep in another room, so be it... even the living room or den if necessary, especially if your husband won't listen to your issues. You really need to sleep, so you have to take the next step by yourself if your husband won't help you.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:16 pm

Either the S9 or A10 would be great. S9s are much cheaper used now as you paying out of pocket.

Also try the P10 and simply get 2/3 firmer pillows that he won't sink into.

Both steps should make a huge difference, unless your pressures are very high.

Good luck

Ron439

Post by Ron439 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks, everyone. I think it's time to act on this. I'm going to do a little more research and get a new machine ordered, and look into a new mask. And if that doesn't work, I'll continue to do what I have done many times, fall asleep on the couch then go to bed at 2 or 3 AM, when I'm so tired I don't care what noise is there. Takes a toll on the body, though.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Ron439 wrote:Thanks, everyone. I think it's time to act on this. I'm going to do a little more research and get a new machine ordered, and look into a new mask. And if that doesn't work,
mask liners, they're awesome for quieting down mask noises.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:18 pm

From the Resmed paper on Central Sleep Apnea Detection:
Central apneas were considered to have an open airway if cardiogenic flow was visible and a closed airway if cardiogenic
flow was not observed.
What the heck is "cardiogenic flow"? Is that shallow breathing due to heartbeat alone?