Odd Question About CPAP Dreaming

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Re: Odd Question About CPAP Dreaming

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:01 pm

Iflyacrj wrote:Since using a CPAP machine, I have no memories of my dreams.
That's not a "bad" thing. In fact, it's probably a "good" thing. If you're dreaming, it's probably in deeper sleep stages.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Also, a useful phrase to google is "REM rebound."

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Iflyacrj wrote:Since using a CPAP machine, I have no memories of my dreams.
typically, from what I've read (and cited in other posts on the subject here) as soon as your dream ends, it starts to fade from memory, and if you don't wake up before it's gone, you won't remember them.

I have a zeo, and it shows me having rem states (where most dreaming happens) on and off all night, but I often remember nothing. if you are roused while having a dream, those are the ones you remember the most.... etc.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Woody

Post by Woody » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Here is an article about glycine and sleep quality. I have been taking it the past
2 weeks and I seem to be dreaming a lot more. It may and I say may have lowered my
AHI just a little bit. I don't have enough data to be sure of this but at least it hasn't
caused my AHI to go higher.

http://www.naturopathiccurrents.com/art ... ep-quality

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:23 pm

There is more then one kind of dream state and REM is only one of them. REM state is required for integration of new information, which is why it is a good idea to get good sleep the night before your exam. REM sleep dreams also tend to cover more emotionally challenging subjects while the other dream states tend to be more "woo-hoo run in the flowers and have some 'fun'" type dreams.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Iflyacrj

Post by Iflyacrj » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Since using a CPAP, I've also become a very very heavy sleeper. I've slept through thunderstorms, phone ringing and unfortunately wake up alarms
At least I'm finally sleeping

borgready

Post by borgready » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:37 pm

TangledHose wrote:Borgready,

That information you posted is pure garbage - that's the only way to say it.

Not only is it unfounded, but I have personal experience as well.

I supplement my cpap with O2 and monitor my O2 levels every night - no dips below 90' average is 93 percent, and I have Vivid dreams that I can recount almost every night.

Literature on vivid dreaming indicates that the amount of detail one remembers depends greatly on what sleep state you are in when you wake up.

Your statement that vivid dreaming is caused by O2 depletion is not only erroneous, but also irresponsible by causing concern where there isn't any.

Hey TangledHose,
Why do you supplement O2 with Cpap? What is your health like? Do you take any drugs?

What do you dream about when you have your vivid dreams? When do you have your vivid dreams? Right before you wake up in the morninging or at periodic times when you wake up at night?

borgready

Post by borgready » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:57 pm

I am sure that there is more than one formula for dreaming. O2 depletion is only one of them.

Mental instability is another one that enhances the vivid dreams. If you get hallucinations while awake, then the dreams can become vivid. Things like degenerative brain diseases and chemical imbalances will effect/enhance dreaming.

borgready

Post by borgready » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:22 pm

The dreams you get from O2 depletion are death themed or anything else that wil scare you. Some call them nightmares. People that don't use cpap and are getting nightmares and death themed dreams are usually having some kind of breathing problem.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:33 pm

borgready wrote:Mental instability is another one that enhances the vivid dreams. If you get hallucinations while awake, then the dreams can become vivid. Things like degenerative brain diseases and chemical imbalances will effect/enhance dreaming.
your dreams must be *amazing*

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:42 pm

borgready wrote:I am sure that there is more than one formula for dreaming. O2 depletion is only one of them.

Mental instability is another one that enhances the vivid dreams. If you get hallucinations while awake, then the dreams can become vivid. Things like degenerative brain diseases and chemical imbalances will effect/enhance dreaming.
borgready wrote:The dreams you get from O2 depletion are death themed or anything else that wil scare you. Some call them nightmares. People that don't use cpap and are getting nightmares and death themed dreams are usually having some kind of breathing problem.
Please provide some (clinical) links to support your hypotheses.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

borgready

Post by borgready » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:27 am

To start searching for clinical stuff just google nightmares sleep apnea

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17061140
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... key=171651

Post a poll on this website asking how many had nightmare/scary dreams/death themed dreams before they started cpap and how many had the nightmare dreams once they had successfully adapted to cpap therapy.

If I use the cpap and its working good I don't get any bad dreams. Heck I don't remember dreams. Why cause I don't wake up while in REM sleep. When you wake and can remember the dream it will progress from something nice or harmless to something that has a death theme. Death themed dreams will be about vampires, zombies, getting shot, getting stabbed, getting beaten, electrocuted, drowning, being choked or sufficated. You may be being chased or running or fighting. You will also dream about people that are dead and that you knew. The whole point of the dream being scary is to eject you out of sleep. If you stay in a dream where you are not breathing, then the dream can get vivid. When I say vivid the imagery is so crystal clear its like seeing with your eyes closed. Usually the imagery may be cloudy when you remember it.

I have noticed that there are articles about soldiers that have PTSD and are being treated with cpap and it reduces the bad dreams. If a soldier saw bad things like his friends being killed and blown up and the death of unknown people where bodies are laying around. This is the very death themes that the mind will goto when O2 depletion occurs in sleep. Eliminate O2 depletion and you stop the jump to death themes to wake a person up. Does the person stil think/dream about bad shit that happened. Most likely. If they don't wake up they won't remember it. It just gets processed or what ever happens to memories in sleep. Since they are pushing the psych drugs on soldiers now, it hard to tell what all happens. They go off the psych drugs and all those bad memories may be unleashed. Suicides for soldiers once they are home are higher than battle casualties. This maybe how the military gets rid of people that they don't keep on a short leash on. You work for the govt and they keep you supplied with psych meds. You leave the govt and they put you on some other drug or no drugs at all and you go ape shit and suicidal.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:36 am

borgready wrote:To start searching for clinical stuff just google nightmares sleep apnea

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17061140
It must be concluded that the oxygen hypothesis did not play a major role in explaining the occurrence of nightmares.
awesome, the first thing you cited says you're batshit. (ie, it concludes the opposite of your wild claims)

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:43 am

In "healthy" people you only get O2 depletion during sleep if there is some sort of apnea happening. Treat the apnea and you get rid of the O2 depletion.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:44 am

Makes me want to cite stuff too, so pr can call me batshit crazy, too!!

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!