Is it OK to put drops in water of the humidifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bill44133

Re: Is it OK to put drops in water of the humidifier?

Post by Bill44133 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:59 pm

palerider wrote:
GoneFishin wrote:
Bill44133 wrote: I had terrible issues with allergies. I use these inline filters: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Respir ... -pack.html
They really help. I change them out about every 3 weeks. During the Ragweed season I changed them out weekly.
I

I wish you well...
These filters are not recommend for use on any cpap/bipap machine after the humidifier bc the moisture clogs these filters right up seriously reducing the flow and pressure at the mask.
you should probably call up resmed and tell them this, so they can remove the settings in the machines that compensate for those filters.
The filters are made by Respironics the same folks who make my bi-pap. I would think they would be safe.

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

GoneFishin

Post by GoneFishin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Bill44133 wrote:The filters are made by Respironics the same folks who make my bi-pap. I would think they would be safe.
These type of filters were made and designed to be used on machines which used a separate stand-alone humidifier, before the M-series and tank models. If you will read the instructions you get with them it does say not to get the filters wet as that does indeed restrict the airflow.

Don't believe me? Remove the filter for a night then check your data, simple enough to check right?
Last edited by GoneFishin on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoneFishin

Post by GoneFishin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:16 pm

palerider wrote:you should probably call up resmed and tell them this, so they can remove the settings in the machines that compensate for those filters.
No need to call. If you think about it there would be no need to "compensate for those filters" if there were no flow restriction. And if you are using an auto cpap I don't think there is a way to compensate well except to remove the filter. An auto simply not detect many (or any) events with this filter in place.

If you want to call the manufacturer of the filters that may help you understand or simply read the literature that comes with the filters.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:19 pm

GoneFishin wrote:
palerider wrote:you should probably call up resmed and tell them this, so they can remove the settings in the machines that compensate for those filters.
No need to call. If you think about it there would be no need to "compensate for those filters" if there were no flow restriction. And if you are using an auto cpap I don't think there is a way to compensate well except to remove the filter. An auto simply not detect many (or any) events with this filter in place.

If you want to call the manufacturer of the filters that may help you understand or simply read the literature that comes with the filters.
your ignorance is showing. resmed disagrees with you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

GoneFishin

Post by GoneFishin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:28 pm

palerider wrote: your ignorance is showing. resmed disagrees with you.
Your ignorance is not understanding that Resmed does not make these filters. Maybe YOU need to call them.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:10 pm

GoneFishin wrote:
Your ignorance is not understanding that Resmed does not make these filters. Maybe YOU need to call them.
they are generic anti-bacterial after filters for cpap use.

resmed has a setting to compensate for anti-bacterial after-filters.

why's this too complicated for you to figure out?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:24 pm

GoneFishin wrote:
Bill44133 wrote:The filters are made by Respironics the same folks who make my bi-pap. I would think they would be safe.
These type of filters were made and designed to be used on machines which used a separate stand-alone humidifier, before the M-series and tank models. If you will read the instructions you get with them it does say not to get the filters wet as that does indeed restrict the airflow.

Don't believe me? Remove the filter for a night then check your data, simple enough to check right?
You seem to have the humidifier and the heated hose confused.

Important Tips

Heated Hose/Tubing Compatibility

CPAP/BiPAP machines that are using a heated hose/tubing which is specific to that machine and require a specialized connection are not compatible with the In-line Bacteria filter. The In-line Bacteria Filter cannot be placed between the machine and the hose/tubing connection. In this case, the In-line Bacteria filter could be used between the Hose/Tubing and the mask if desired and will add bulk at that connection.

Examples of machine specific heated hose/tubing are:

PR System One Heated Tube for 60 Series Auto CPAP Machine
ClimateLine™ Tubing for S9™ and H5i™ Climate Control System
Thermosmart Heated Hose for 600 Series CPAPs
The In-line Bacteria Filter is compatible with the Hybernite Rainout Control System, fitting between the hose and the machine.

Here is a little bit more information for you reading pleasure :

What is an In-line Outlet Bacteria Filter for CPAP/BiPAP?
Bacteria filters are fine enough to remove some bacteria and are clinically indicated when a CPAP machine is used by more than one person. However, many CPAP users find them helpful in reducing the occurrence of sinus infections and other nasal issues. Bacteria filters can be used with an CPAP/APAP/ or BiPAP machine.

Bacteria filters are housed in a plastic frame and are placed at the CPAP air outlet, rather than the air inlet. They may be used with humidifiers, but should be removed and allowed to air dry during the day.

This filter is placed at the air outtake for your machine if you are not using a humidifiers. If you are using a humidifier, it is placed at the air outake for your humidifier. The bacteria filter is placed in the air outtake and the CPAP hose is placed on the other end.

The entire housing is disposable and should be discarded as soon as matter becomes visible. A clogged Bacteria filter may affect the amount of air delivered by the CPAP.

I wish you well...

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:40 pm

I think those anti-bacterial filters are mostly intended for a single night's use in sleep labs and such where multiple people use the same CPAP machine. If you put them on the output of the humidifier, they will become soaked with water during the night and will sit wet during the day.

I haven't been able to find any statement from Respironics on the lifetime of this particular filter, but some other CPAP antibacterial filters DO specify single night usage only.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:42 pm

Bill44133 wrote:
GoneFishin wrote:

Important Tips

CPAP/BiPAP machines that are using a heated hose/tubing which is specific to that machine and require a specialized connection are not compatible with the In-line Bacteria filter. The In-line Bacteria Filter cannot be placed between the machine and the hose/tubing connection. In this case, the In-line Bacteria filter could be used between the Hose/Tubing and the mask if desired and will add bulk at that connection.

The In-line Bacteria Filter is compatible with the Hybernite Rainout Control System, fitting between the hose and the machine.

Bacteria filters are fine enough to remove some bacteria and are clinically indicated when a CPAP machine is used by more than one person. However, many CPAP users find them helpful in reducing the occurrence of sinus infections and other nasal issues. Bacteria filters can be used with an CPAP/APAP/ or BiPAP machine.

Bacteria filters are housed in a plastic frame and are placed at the CPAP air outlet, rather than the air inlet. They may be used with humidifiers, but should be removed and allowed to air dry during the day.

This filter is placed at the air outtake for your machine if you are not using a humidifiers. If you are using a humidifier, it is placed at the air outake for your humidifier. The bacteria filter is placed in the air outtake and the CPAP hose is placed on the other end.

The entire housing is disposable and should be discarded as soon as matter becomes visible. A clogged Bacteria filter may affect the amount of air delivered by the CPAP.

I wish you well...
nice.

GoneFishin

Post by GoneFishin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:25 am

palerider wrote:
GoneFishin wrote:

Why are you passing on misinformation?

GoneFishin

Post by GoneFishin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:51 am

palerider wrote:
Bill44133 wrote:
GoneFishin wrote:

Important Tips

I wish you well...
nice.
Any filter placed in the air tube will restrict airflow - do you not understand that?

Using a humidifier will quickly cause an increase in this restriction further reducing airflow.

Here are some things you left out of your talking points...

If the bacteria filter becomes very dirty or wet, machine performance may be affected.

Heated humidifiers can cause water to collect in the filter chamber, thus clogging the filter and adversely affecting therapy.

Auto Adjusting CPAP Machines

This filter may have an impact on the ability of any Auto Adjusting CPAP to accurately respond to airflow restrictions during use. If the average treatment pressure is below a pressure of 7cm H2O this should not be used.

The In-Line Outlet Bacterial Filter may contain phthalates which may cause adverse health effects.

Obviously the below was published BEFORE the A10 or S9 were released:
CPAP and BiPAP machines with Auto On/Off Feature

The Auto On/Off Feature has a difficult time sensing air flow, which helps determine whether the machine is in use or simply blowing air. Our tests show the Auto On/Off feature does not work with the following machines:

ResMed S8 Vantage
ResMed S8 AutoSet II
ResMed s8 VPAP
ResMed s8 VPAP Auto 25
ResMed VPAP Malibu

The point of all of this is there is definitely a restriction and resulting reduction in airflow which does impact the users therapy - whether you want to admit it or not - just please stop misleading people.

There have been many posts on this exact topic in this forum for your review. Using Google may broaden your perspective.

GoneFishin

Post by GoneFishin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:59 am

Perhaps you can return to the OPs question - "Is it OK to put drops in water of the humidifier?"
Dewyeyes wrote:My allergies are worse with CPAP. It creates these awful fluid-filled bags under my eyes. If I sleep without CPAP the bags diminish or go away. I just cannot keep up with this constant cleaning of the machine. My life is busy. Isn't it possible that my lungs could take a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide or vinegar or even bleach in the water without harm? Maybe the peroxide would keep the water cleaner longer so I wouldn't have to clean so often and could keep those bags at bay. Please help. I need an answer! Thanks, Dewy

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:46 am

GoneFishin wrote:
palerider wrote:
GoneFishin wrote:

Why are you passing on misinformation?
I'm correcting the misinformation that an ignorant newbie to the forum (yourself) is spounting.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:51 am

GoneFishin wrote:The point of all of this is there is definitely a restriction and resulting reduction in airflow which does impact the users therapy - whether you want to admit it or not - just please stop misleading people.
yes, please do stop spreading your bullshit.

resmed s9 and as10 machines have a setting, AB Filter, "select yes if you attach an antibacterial filter" (quoting the as10 manual).

now, why do you suppose they have that, if not to compensate for the added restriction? and if the machine manufacturer builds in an option to use it, then THEY engineer their machines to work with those filters.

GoneFishin

Post by GoneFishin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:20 am

palerider wrote:
GoneFishin wrote:The point of all of this is there is definitely a restriction and resulting reduction in airflow which does impact the users therapy - whether you want to admit it or not - just please stop misleading people.
yes, please do stop spreading your bullshit.

resmed s9 and as10 machines have a setting, AB Filter, "select yes if you attach an antibacterial filter" (quoting the as10 manual).

now, why do you suppose they have that, if not to compensate for the added restriction? and if the machine manufacturer builds in an option to use it, then THEY engineer their machines to work with those filters.
I feel like I am repeating myself but you can increase the pressure to quasi compensate but no setting will be able to help detect events (any events) because of the damping effect that putting obstacles in the tubing causes. Maybe that is why you are so irritable.