Oxygen Concentrator HELL - RESOLVED

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
squid13

Re: Oxygen Concentrator HELL

Post by squid13 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:21 am

Madalot wrote:The pumping sound it makes sounds a lot like my cats vomiting
Oh the great feeling you get when you step on one of those wet hairballs in the dark at night.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:53 am

squid13 wrote:
Madalot wrote:The pumping sound it makes sounds a lot like my cats vomiting
Oh the great feeling you get when you step on one of those wet hairballs in the dark at night.
If it were only that. I have 5 cats now (one died last week) and two of them are "pukers" like you would not believe. They lick everything (you can't stop them) then throw up. We sometimes find up to 5-10 piles almost every morning. And the sound they make -- oy. If it were JUST hairballs, it wouldn't be so bad.

The concentrator sound was so similar I kept waking up thinking "they're puking right next to the bed!!!!"

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Do you know how far away the concentrator can be loacted and still supply the correct L/m of O2?
If it can be 20 or so feet away and still be effective, perhaps it can be located in another room.
If that can't/won't work, might it be possible to make an enclosure lined with sound deadening material that could attenuate the annoying noise. Do make sure that there is adequate air ventilation into any enclosure that you make. Perhaps a small comouter fan (Radio Shack) could be used to ensure a good air flow.

One last suggestion, putting cushioning under the unit could uncouple the noise generated by the machine from being transmitted through the floor.

The best solution would be to get the DME to supply a unit that is quiet.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Oh, so sorry about your cat!

I had similar problems over the years and discovered 90% of them were due to 'allergies' to any kind of gravy in cat food... the slices, bits, etc. that come in gravy of any kind... Fancy Feast type. You never know...

Hope things work out better for you this week.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:46 pm

We had a cat that was a compulsive licker. He would lick himself, the other cat,
or whatever human was holding/petting him. Sweetest creature ever. Lived to 17 years.
Hairballs on the floor were not so bad, but we learned to cover the laundry basket with a towel.
Stomach acid will destroy a silk blouse.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:54 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:We had a cat that was a compulsive licker. He would lick himself, the other cat,
or whatever human was holding/petting him. Sweetest creature ever. Lived to 17 years.
My 14yo cat is half bald, compulsive licker, chronic puker, but still here, sweet as can be. My oldest to date was 17.5 when I had her put down. My friend currently has a 23yo tom who's not at all interested in the newer additions to the household, but he's not ready to check out either.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:19 pm

50 foot is the max recommended length for a O2 compressor line. Mine is Green, and is almost kink proof. Length doesn't matter on flow, as the flow is adjusted with the machine on and hooked up in the same configuration it's used in. (Crap at user pressure, on, and hooked up.)...

You are NOT to use a Pulse O2 compressor with XPAP. The machines are noisy because they are actually doing work, compressing air, dump nitrogen, and venting pressure. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:48 pm

My setup is a little unusual because up until a few months ago, we moved my entire setup to the family room so I could use it when I napped. Everything is on a rolling cart (Trilogy & Humidifier on top shelf, Oxygen Concentrator on the bottom). My son used to move the cart out for me, but he's grown and doesn't live here so we just leave it by the bed.

Moving everything (concentrator mainly) further away is a problem since I am disabled. Once I get into bed to relax (watch TV, read or whatever) I do NOT get up again. Everything needs to be by the bed so I can turn them on when I lay down to go to sleep. I would love to be able to have it in another room, but in my situation, it's just not a good idea.

My cat was adopted from the shelter in 2009. They told us he was 5, which would have made him 10. The vet, however, said he was more like 15 or 16, which somehow made it a little easier to lose him. We had been trying to get him healthy, but the medication wasn't helping and we had to put him down last Monday. My son is on leave from the Army (came home Thursday) and was a little upset that he couldn't say goodbye to Oreo. But we told him it was BAD and as much as we would have liked to, we couldn't let him suffer another couple days.

My "pukey" kitties have been like that since they were kittens. The vet said some cats are just like that -- vomiting 4-5 times a day. But the cats seem healthy despite puking so much. We cannot change their food or they puke even more. My other cats are fed canned food once a day, but my pukers need to be kept away because if they get so much as a nibble, they puke within 5-10 minutes.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:32 pm

Just did a little reading of owners manuals for the Perfecto 2 and one model of the DeVilBiss concentrators.
You didn't mention the particular model so I made a guess.
The Perfecto has a rating of 43 dba +/- 2 dba while the DeVilBiss is rated at 48 dba.
Each change of 3 dba changes the perceived noise level by a factor of two.

If your Perfecto was on the low end of their noise scale and the DeVilBiss on the high end of theirs, then the noise difference could very well seem like 8 times louder.

BTW the noise level of a running fridge is about 39 dba as a measure of comparison.

Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:58 am

Well, if this just doesn't beat all. I lay down to go to sleep last night at 11:30. A night that I need to do an overnight ON oxygen for my doctor's appointment Tuesday and have a TON to do on Monday to get ready for Christmas.

The stupid concentrator ALARMS. I tried turning it off and back on three times but it wouldn't stop. My husband had been asleep for over an hour and I just didn't have the heart to wake him up and check it (not that it would matter) or hook a the portable tank.

So, I slept without oxygen and feel like crap today. A day I just don't have the time to be feeling this way.

I am SO calling that DME today. And I do feel sorry for the guy on the other end of the phone.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:01 am

Well, my husband checked everything this morning and found that the problem was at the port to the Trilogy. When he disconnected the oxygen concentrator from the Trilogy, it worked fine (no alarms and the dial went to 2L which it wouldn't do before). He did some blowing, trying to blow any obstructions. It took forever to reconnect the hose to the port on the Trilogy (my husband was NOT happy screwing with it) but it seems to work fine -- now.

Let's see what happens tonight. Gosh, this has been a nightmare, one I do NOT need a few days before Christmas.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:33 am

Do you have a user manual for the current concentrator?
That would help with understanding alarms.
If you post the actual model number, I'll see if I can find one on line.
Perhaps the DME can supply you a copy.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:19 am

I just got off the phone with a delightful guy from the DME. He could not believe the nonsense I have been through. He said that first off, we need to get me an Invacare Perfecto. That's a given and he was astounded they not only sent another model, but didn't send an authorized tech to swap it out since the connections are different.

Secondly, he's contacting the department responsible for the Trilogy and telling them there *may* be a problem with that since our latest crisis seems to be more on the Trilogy end than the Concentrator.

And he PROMISED me that I would get a heads up call and a window of time for when they would show up (most of these swap outs I either didn't know about at all or they just showed up on a day without calling ahead to let me know they were on their way).

I'm getting a Perfecto2 back by end of day tomorrow. I just got off the phone with the technician responsible for the Trilogy. She and I have decided that we should change out the tubing between the Trilogy & the Oxygen Concentrator and see if that might make things run more smoothly. I just have to see *IF* my husband is willing to do it because frankly, he's pretty ticked off about the entire situation.

Oy --

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:23 am

JDS74 wrote:Do you have a user manual for the current concentrator?
maybe you missed her stated goal of getting rid of that concentrator today.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:54 am

palerider wrote:
JDS74 wrote:Do you have a user manual for the current concentrator?
maybe you missed her stated goal of getting rid of that concentrator today.
It's okay, palerider. I took it that he was trying to be helpful in case I couldn't get rid of it. And as it is, I won't be getting rid of it until at least tomorrow.