Using CPAP for the first time tonight

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jsand5048

Using CPAP for the first time tonight

Post by jsand5048 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:47 am

Hey everyone, I'm planning on using my new CPAP machine tonight for the very first time ever.... what should I be expecting?

Any tips or tricks I could use to ensure everything goes smoothly?

palerider

Re: Using CPAP for the first time tonight

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:06 am

make sure you're in a good comfortable position when you lay down, I made the mistake of tucking my right arm under my head, like I'd usually do, and the first night, I didn't move all night....

my right arm hurt for weeks afterwards.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:08 am

Practice while awake with no pressure to get to sleep.
Hook everything up and just watch TV and get used to the mask and the machine.

Everyone...this guy is going the DIY route for both diagnosing and treatment....so for the first few nights we are just using a modest APAP minimum of 6 and maximum of 10 cm for now until we get some data from the machine to see what its going on.
I wanted to confirm the need first and worry about sufficient pressure second.
Besides...might get lucky and these settings will work.
Using the Respironics Nuance nasal pillows for now. It's the only decent mask I had for a newbie. He doesn't have chronic nasal issues so should work well.
Machine is PR System One 60 Series Auto with humidifier set to 3 ...nice middle of the road. No heated hose at this time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:20 am

one thing I can say for sure, jsand5048, and that is...

You're in good hands with Pugsy.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JeffV

Post by JeffV » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:09 am

You've got the exact same mask and machine that I have been using since I started CPAP last month. It's been working well for me.

What to expect? That's not really a question that can be answered, as everyone's experience is different. Try not to start off with expectations of what's going to happen, past going to bed with the mask on your face.

Tips and tricks -
- Set the mask and machine up and breath with it for awhile today before bed as Pugsy suggests.
- Go through your normal go-to-bed routine as much as you possibly can tonight. The more you signal to your body that "it's time for bed now", the easier it will be to fall asleep.
- Specific to the Nuance mask - Don't over-tighten it. It should be just tight enough that you don't get air leaking out between your nose and the pillows. If you've got the correct size pillows, it won't need to be very tight up against your nose to get a good seal.
- Arrange the hose in whatever way is most comfortable for you. Try to get it so that the hose isn't tugging on the mask as that might pull it out of place and cause it to leak.
- Listen to Pugsy. She knows of what she speaks.

Let us know tomorrow how it went! Good luck!

jsand5048

Post by jsand5048 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:36 am

So... the first night didn't go so well, probably more or less what i expected. I couldn't really fall asleep, i kept waking up. The sleep pillows are probably too big or something because my right nostril started to get sore and actually hurt after about an hour so i eventually took the mask off.

Going to try again during a nap or something.

JeffV

Post by JeffV » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:08 am

Do you have all three pillow sizes that you could maybe try a smaller one? If so, that's a quick swap to give it a try. Use whichever size is most comfortable and doesn't result in a bunch of leakage. Some amount of soreness is normal at the outset, but my guess is that if you were having that much pain after only an hour you may well have something that's not fitting right. And I know I'm being redundant, but make sure it's not too tight. If anything it should almost feel too loose. As long as you're not getting hissing air coming out around your nose, it doesn't need to be any tighter.

It will get better!

Ogeo

Post by Ogeo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:51 am

I thought I'd throw out a few ideas: I have been using Lansinch Lanolin on my nose each night. It is found in the section for nursing mom's. It really helps with the sore nose. In three months, I've hardly made a dent in the tube. Were you sleeping on your right side? I also found that sometimes when I sleep on my side, the nostril on the downside can get pressure against it causing it to hurt. I have to change my bed pillow or re-position a little to get more comfortable. Or sometimes I can just pull the pillow cushion out and reseat it. Just a few ideas to try. Keep trying as it takes time to get it right.

Hubby's equipment: PR System One REMstar Auto A-Flex model 560P. Doctor's orders left it open 5-20. We changed it to 8-20 after a couple nights. Start Date was 1/30/15. Oh, mask is the new nasal pico.

Discovering the world one geocache at a time!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:59 am

Ogeo wrote:I thought I'd throw out a few ideas: I have been using Lansinch Lanolin on my nose each night. It is found in the section for nursing mom's. It really helps with the sore nose. In three months, I've hardly made a dent in the tube. Were you sleeping on your right side? I also found that sometimes when I sleep on my side, the nostril on the downside can get pressure against it causing it to hurt. I have to change my bed pillow or re-position a little to get more comfortable. Or sometimes I can just pull the pillow cushion out and reseat it. Just a few ideas to try. Keep trying as it takes time to get it right.
that's Lansinoh lanolin,

it helped me a LOT trying to get used to a pillow mask. just a bb sized amount spread around on the nostrils.

after a couple weeks, I didn't need it anymore.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:01 am

jsand5048 wrote:So... the first night didn't go so well, probably more or less what i expected. I couldn't really fall asleep, i kept waking up. The sleep pillows are probably too big or something because my right nostril started to get sore and actually hurt after about an hour so i eventually took the mask off.

Going to try again during a nap or something.
I found that if my pillows were too small they were uncomfortable. if you've got different sizes, try different ones.

try using the machine while sitting up and watching tv, or reading, or other stuff, to get more used to having it on.

using the lansinoh lanolin menitoned above helped me a LOT with nose pain. sometimes I even used a little lidocaine cream right at first. I don't need either of them anymore.

Ogeo

Post by Ogeo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:56 am

palerider wrote: that's Lansinoh lanolin,
My Bad? My excuse is that I just woke up and sitting in the dark with the tube in front of me. LOL. Thanks for the correction.

Hubby's equipment: PR System One REMstar Auto A-Flex model 560P. Doctor's orders left it open 5-20. We changed it to 8-20 after a couple nights. Start Date was 1/30/15. Oh, mask is the new nasal pico.

Discovering the world one geocache at a time!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Ogeo wrote:
palerider wrote: that's Lansinoh lanolin,
My Bad? My excuse is that I just woke up and sitting in the dark with the tube in front of me. LOL. Thanks for the correction.
I just wanted to make sure that the new guy wasn't looking for something and not finding it due to a typo not intending to cast aspersions in your direction, I've made plenty of typos in my time

jsand5048

Post by jsand5048 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Good news, I think? Took a 2 hour nap earlier today, used the smallest nasal pillows and everything was great! Just had to deal with a bit of facial sweat but no soreness to report so that's good. Hopefully everything goes that smoothly tonight!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:41 pm

jsand5048 wrote:Good news, I think? Took a 2 hour nap earlier today, used the smallest nasal pillows and everything was great! Just had to deal with a bit of facial sweat but no soreness to report so that's good. Hopefully everything goes that smoothly tonight!
awesome. every little bit helps.

let us know if we can help, or if you get some data.

did Pugsy talk you through installing Sleepyhead and reading the card?

jsand5048

Post by jsand5048 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:13 pm

palerider wrote:
jsand5048 wrote:Good news, I think? Took a 2 hour nap earlier today, used the smallest nasal pillows and everything was great! Just had to deal with a bit of facial sweat but no soreness to report so that's good. Hopefully everything goes that smoothly tonight!
awesome. every little bit helps.

let us know if we can help, or if you get some data.

did Pugsy talk you through installing Sleepyhead and reading the card?
Errrrrrr..... Not that I can remember