New Soclean2 owner

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: New Soclean2 owner

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:12 pm

Sharrykb wrote:if doing next to no cleaning was working for you and was FREE, why change it?
Already answered.
ChicagoGranny wrote:bill-e, You were doing so well for 8 years and then you go out and do something like this.

Tell me, you must like gadgets and you had some time on your hands this week?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:32 pm

As we get older, we see old friends and family fade and then fail.
At some point we think,"What if that were me?".
Many start getting those junky catalogs in the mail, some may order some foolish thing or other.
Before you know it the mailbox is full of catalogs full of useless stuff, and no sales resistance.
It might seem amusing at some level, but mostly, it's tragic.

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Sharrykb wrote: I know NOTHING about the Soclean2 but I do have to ask: if doing next to no cleaning was working for you and was FREE, why change it? I guess I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy.
Sharrykb,

I don't know about you but I'm 61 and getting older every year. As I get older things change. Right now I'm on an airplane every week and I attribute some my resistance to illness as a result of being exposed to everything, both domestic and foreign, virtually every week for the past 12 years. Having said that when something does happen I don't heal as fast as I used to, I don't even feel as good as I used to so I saw/see this as an "ounce of prevention" because the older you get the quicker things can change.

I don't think anyone here has advocated never cleaning your equipment but that is essentially where I was at and this seemed like an inexpensive way for me to have cleaner equipment without me having to change my routine.

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:59 pm

chunkyfrog, I have no idea what thread you think you're contributing to but it isn't this one.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:01 pm

bill-e wrote:chunkyfrog, I have no idea what thread you think you're contributing to but it isn't this one.
I'm pretty sure it is, actually.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:26 pm

Sharrykb

Post by Sharrykb » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:23 pm

bill-e wrote:
Sharrykb wrote: I know NOTHING about the Soclean2 but I do have to ask: if doing next to no cleaning was working for you and was FREE, why change it? I guess I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy.
Sharrykb,

I don't know about you but I'm 61 and getting older every year. As I get older things change. Right now I'm on an airplane every week and I attribute some my resistance to illness as a result of being exposed to everything, both domestic and foreign, virtually every week for the past 12 years. Having said that when something does happen I don't heal as fast as I used to, I don't even feel as good as I used to so I saw/see this as an "ounce of prevention" because the older you get the quicker things can change.

I don't think anyone here has advocated never cleaning your equipment but that is essentially where I was at and this seemed like an inexpensive way for me to have cleaner equipment without me having to change my routine.
Thank you for explaining that to me. I know our viewpoints do change the older we get.

I don't think "never cleaning" is a good policy either but I don't feel the need to wash/sanitize everything as often as I know some of the forum members do. I guess we each have to do what works for us and try not to let other people's opinions get to us.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:55 am

bill-e wrote:So far all I've heard are opinions, please show me some facts.

Thanks
Bill
I sell special rocks that help with apnea. You may think it doesn't do anything useful, but that's just an opinion. Show me some facts to show that it's not actually a miracle cure.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:04 am

I'm highly skeptical it does anything that helpful, but I doubt the ozone is a health problem. You don't run the ozone generator while doing CPAP, and even if it left ozone in your CPAP, there's only a small volume of ozone that could be inside the equipment. It would rapidly be dissipated once you turn the CPAP on. Ozone also rapidly breaks down on its own. Unless you get a blast of a sharp odor, when you turn it on, you're probably not getting any ozone to speak of. If you're concerned, let the machine blast air for 5 or 10 seconds before masking up.

It would only be a concern to your health if it leaked a lot of ozone in use and you were near it while it was in operation. It takes precautions to prevent ozone leaking out into the room air. I think it does a cycle of some sort to destroy the ozone at the end of its "cleaning" cycle to clear out the ozone from the equipment.

Now, as to whether the ozone does harm to the plastic in your equipment while killing germs, that's another question entirely.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:19 am

bill-e wrote:....I'm also one who virtually never cleans the machine or even the mask....doesn't make me right .
I'll say.

Sanitization requires pre-cleaning. This includes that thing:
10. Will I ever need to wash my CPAP equipment again? The SoClean is intended to supplement, not replace, the manufacturer’s recommendations for cleaning their equipment.
So if you did follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for cleaning their equipment-- well, you're done, and don't have to worry about that time-consuming...

...waste of time.

OTOH, SoClean2 may have some value in treating mysophobia...

...then you have 30 dollars worth of filters to buy every 6 months:

http://www.betterrestsolutions.com/prod ... soclean-2/

unless one
virtually never
plans to change those, either.

Why Cleaning Is Important:

Bacteria in a biofilm can be up to 1000 times more resistant to disinfection than those in free dispersion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17928079

http://bacteriality.com/2008/05/26/biofilm/
You Kids Have Fun!!

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:17 am

Biofilm. I was going to see it over the holidays, but the North Koreans ruined my plans.

Sharrykb

Post by Sharrykb » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:34 am

DeadlySleep wrote:Biofilm. I was going to see it over the holidays, but the North Koreans ruined my plans.
Thank you for the good laugh!!!

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:29 pm

The last panel looks like ET scratching his head.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

tan

Post by tan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:40 pm

My house has humidity and mold issues, which the landlord won't fix. I have to run de-humidifer non-stop. I wonder whether SoClean2 could be a better(though expensive) container to protect against the exposure or simply wrapping with paper towel would be good enough, when the unit is not running.

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:32 pm

Tan, The cheapest thing to do would be to keep the entire setup in a seal-able container in which you also have one of the moisture absorbing dehumidifier packs when not in use. That would keep the whole unit dry and should retard mold growth.

The way the Soclean2 works is that it automatically runs for 7 min (adjustable) each day at a prescribed time (adjustable) during which it pumps ozone through your humidifier (including sterilization of the water in the humidifier), hose and mask and then collects it in the sealed box that your mask is in. You then leave the box sealed for a minimum of 2 hours. The 2 hours is likely to assure that all the ozone has dissipated. If all that you wanted was to keep the mold at bay you could probably run the cleaning cycle less often, like every other day or maybe even once a week (You'd need to get manufacturer recommendations on this) and that would increase the life expectancy of your filter and reduce your maintenance costs.

Last edited by bill-e on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.