Kaviance for sleep?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tango

Kaviance for sleep?

Post by Tango » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Anyone try kaviance for sleep?
I think I am going to pick some up today. I found Alsace locally that sells it. They don't have the ultra pm kaviance just the regular kaviance.
I'll let ya all know how it goes.......

Julie

Re: Kaviance for sleep?

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:30 pm

When you go on a new med (or before you do), do you Google the side effects? Not suggesting there's anything wrong with Kaviance (never heard of it actually), but just curious.

Tango

Post by Tango » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Yes, I do look it up and did. I heard about it here.
However, there is a risk of reading too much. Sometimes what one thinks is what happens. It's like looking at my ahi and thinking if I don't get it below one I won't get good sleep. For me that's the opposite. I need to let the ahi go up a bit because if I don't the pressures wake me and I feel horrible the next day, even though I had a low ahi. For example, last night I had an ahi of 1.8 and I Feel like total crap today. Foggy ect...plus moody as he'll. the night before it was a 3.8 and I felt great!
As I wrote thie post asking about others experiences with it, I almost stopped. What if a bunch of people say it sucks? Does that mean it won't work for me?
Side effects: don't hit everybody the same.
But either way, I do read and what I read I liked about kaviance.
I tend to go through periods were I awake around 2 or 3 and then my sleep is so fragmented. I can get a good 4 to 5 hours but in the last year or so I have these periods were I just can't good quality sleep after 3 am..
Kaviance is recommended in the holistic field of medicine. The pharmacy where I bought it said they have been selling a lot of it. In fact, they were sold out of the ultra pm kaviance so I am trying the regular kaviance.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:10 pm

My hubby uses Kavinace & he has had a good experience with it. He has used it along with 5-HTP, GABA & Valerian Root. He used just the straight Kavinace, not the Ultra PM, so I can't comment on that one. You will want to Google it for potential side effects. I would also suggest a discussion with a pharmacist. If you can find a compounding pharmacist in your area that would be most helpful.

He started first with 5-HTP, then added GABA, then Valerian Root, then finally Kavinace. The Kavinace is a relatively new compound, so he added it knowing there is not a lot of data available. He was desperate because the first 3 were not working entirely. The addition of the Kavinace really made a huge difference for him. It was a risk for him, but a risk he took & it paid off.

Good luck,
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Tango

Post by Tango » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi Jen, does he take it before bed? I'm trying to find where it says to take before bed.
The kaviance isn't something that has to be taken before bed. As far as I can tell. I read somewhere that I should take it the morning. The bottle says two a day not to exceed 6 in 24hr.
I think it works on replenishing certain centers in the brain. It's not a sleep aide so to say. Rather it gives me back healthy sleep cycles. Gets your sleep cycle in balance from the root causes. Chemically.
I wish I knew more and I will as I read more.
I was drawn to it because I can not take anything before bed due to acid reflux. Zip! three hours prior to laying down other than water and Passion flower tea. That has help me loose 52 pounds. But my sleep suffers. I used to sleep like a baby on a full stomach. Go figure?
Anyway, I took one two hours ago and another one 45 minutes ago.
I'm not sleepier than I was before I took it. But it doesn't work that way.
Now, the ultra pm kaviance is only before bed because it does have 3 milligrams of melatonin . And no taurine. The taurine aides the GABA to cross the blood brain barrier more efficiently. (I still need to read more so take this as the holly Grail...if interested you can google like said. I'm just a lab rat trying to get my sleep back.
Thanks for the suggestion Jen.
I did pick it up at

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:24 pm

Tango wrote:Rather it gives me back healthy sleep cycles. Gets your sleep cycle in balance from the root causes. Chemically.
Snake oil nonsense.
Kavinace.com does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any of the information, content or advertisements contained on, distributed through this website.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:59 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tango wrote:Rather it gives me back healthy sleep cycles. Gets your sleep cycle in balance from the root causes. Chemically.
Snake oil nonsense.
amusingly, original snake oil was reportedly quite effective, it was the later fake verisons that got the bad rep.
(and, yes, I'm citing this report because it says not to cite it )

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:26 pm

palerider wrote:amusingly, original snake oil was reportedly quite effective,
Snake fat also played a role in ancient Egyptian medicine, mixed with the fats of lion, hippopotamus, crocodile, tomcat, and Nubian ibex into a homogeneous mass believed to cause bald men to grow hair.
So there is still hope for Gramps?

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Tango,
According to the pharmacist I consulted it acts as a relaxant. Yes it can be taken earlier than bedtime, but my hubby takes all his herbals about an hour before he goes to bed. My friend who originally suggested it takes 1 am & 1 pm & that works for her. She additionally uses it as needed for anxiety, in her case not to exceed 4 daily. That was per her Dr, the one that first introduced her to Kavinace.

My hubby has severe insomnia with sleep maintenance being his primary concern. In conjunction with these herbals he is practicing good sleep hygiene, with one exception - I read my Kindle as I go to sleep. I tried to huddle under the covers & read so he would not have exposure to the light of my Paperwhite. That lasted less than a week - I just said to hell with this, I'll be supportive in all else, but I must have my reading. I don't think that tiny light makes that huge a difference anyway.

Another very important tool he used was the book recommended by RobySue, another forum member - Sound Sleep Sound Mind by Barry Krakow MD. I would strongly suggest you get a copy & read it cover to cover, more than once. I have a copy on my Kindle & he has the hard copy version. We both have taken the info quite seriously, but my hubby needed help from the herbals he is now using. Good sleep hygiene is key to success, hence my trying to remove all light from electronic devices.

Chicago Granny,
Maybe Kavinace is actually modern 'snake oil' but if it works, even if by placebo effect, its worth it for my hubby to get the sleep he so desperately needs. Insomnia is truly awful for those who suffer AND their loved ones. I was quite skeptical about it, but it turned out to be the final piece to his 'puzzle' of sleep for him. If it works the $78 a bottle is worth it to me.

Everyone else,
I'm not trying to endorse this stuff, just sharing my hubby's experience with it. To use it or not is a very personal choice, so don't just decide on the merits of what you read here, do your own research then decide for yourself.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:16 pm

jencat824 wrote:placebo effect
Powerful stuff for irrational souls.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
palerider wrote:amusingly, original snake oil was reportedly quite effective,
Snake fat also played a role in ancient Egyptian medicine, mixed with the fats of lion, hippopotamus, crocodile, tomcat, and Nubian ibex into a homogeneous mass believed to cause bald men to grow hair.
So there is still hope for Gramps?
and if that fails, there's always this: http://hackaday.com/2014/12/15/using-la ... ir-growth/

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Jen,

I seriously doubt the light from your Kindle is going to prevent your husband from sleeping. I do think that in many cases, cutting down the light can help with sleep. But at the same time, I think this issue gets taken to an extreme at times.

I agree that if something works for you, particularly when sleep is involved, that is all that matters. You're not claiming this as a scientific fact.

I do admit though I have a negative attitude towards Kaviance. Many alternative health practitioners sell it along with similar type items by giving patients a bogus chemical imbalance test. So if you're allegedly deficient in something, these providers have the perfect supplement to sell you. It is a neat little scam and that is what came to mind for me when CG referred to it as snake oil

49er
jencat824 wrote:Tango,
According to the pharmacist I consulted it acts as a relaxant. Yes it can be taken earlier than bedtime, but my hubby takes all his herbals about an hour before he goes to bed. My friend who originally suggested it takes 1 am & 1 pm & that works for her. She additionally uses it as needed for anxiety, in her case not to exceed 4 daily. That was per her Dr, the one that first introduced her to Kavinace.

My hubby has severe insomnia with sleep maintenance being his primary concern. In conjunction with these herbals he is practicing good sleep hygiene, with one exception - I read my Kindle as I go to sleep. I tried to huddle under the covers & read so he would not have exposure to the light of my Paperwhite. That lasted less than a week - I just said to hell with this, I'll be supportive in all else, but I must have my reading. I don't think that tiny light makes that huge a difference anyway.

Another very important tool he used was the book recommended by RobySue, another forum member - Sound Sleep Sound Mind by Barry Krakow MD. I would strongly suggest you get a copy & read it cover to cover, more than once. I have a copy on my Kindle & he has the hard copy version. We both have taken the info quite seriously, but my hubby needed help from the herbals he is now using. Good sleep hygiene is key to success, hence my trying to remove all light from electronic devices.

Chicago Granny,
Maybe Kavinace is actually modern 'snake oil' but if it works, even if by placebo effect, its worth it for my hubby to get the sleep he so desperately needs. Insomnia is truly awful for those who suffer AND their loved ones. I was quite skeptical about it, but it turned out to be the final piece to his 'puzzle' of sleep for him. If it works the $78 a bottle is worth it to me.

Everyone else,
I'm not trying to endorse this stuff, just sharing my hubby's experience with it. To use it or not is a very personal choice, so don't just decide on the merits of what you read here, do your own research then decide for yourself.

Jen

Tango

Post by Tango » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:10 am

Wow! Worked like a charm. My daughter got up at 4 am and my wife was up for two hours with her. I didn't hear a thing. Slept like a baby and feel great. Ahi was .08. Between tweaking my epr and pressures and finding kaviance I may have found some peace.
I especially like the the foe list as I will FOE Chicago granny and never have to see her again.
I would recommend others place her on that list as well unless you want unsolicited poor advice from someone wanting attention either positive or negative.
Poor lady. I feel sorry for her. But, won't ya anymore lonely lady.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:18 am

I might try it with alcohol and Temazepam.

Mask: Flexifit 407

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:28 am

Tango wrote: I will FOE Chicago granny and never have to see her again.
Bet you will continue to peek, you little ole voyeur.