side sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: side sleeping

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:05 am

Guest wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
7michael3 wrote:any tips for sleeping on the side without loosing seal and getting air in my eyes all night?

Why do you want and/or need to sleep on your side as opposed to, say, your back?

Habit, of course
Habit, of course?

Oh ye of little imagination. Some people sleep on their sides because CPAP controls their apnea better when on their sides. Some people because of pain in various parts of the body. So your "of course" is invalid.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:09 am

englandsf wrote: have you tried pillows? P10 is especially good IMHO.
Did you notice he is using a full face mask and a switch to a nasal interface could be disastrous for him?
englandsf wrote:In general nasal pillows are the most resistant to sideways movement caused by side sleeping.
Well you qualified that with "in general", so it could mean anything you want it to mean. I'll put my Innomed Hybrid up against any set of nasal pillows for stability in any sleeping position.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:42 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Did you notice he is using a full face mask and a switch to a nasal interface could be disastrous for him?
he's too busy offering opinions to notice anything

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:54 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
englandsf wrote:In general nasal pillows are the most resistant to sideways movement caused by side sleeping.
Well you qualified that with "in general", so it could mean anything you want it to mean.
Careful Granny!

You are dealing with Mr. Sensitive!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102633

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:08 pm

SGearhart wrote:First, Welcome to the board!

I purchased a CPAP pillow that resembles a dog bone. It has a removable center section for thickness adjustment and almost square sides as opposed to a normal bed pillow that tapers down. I've found this pillow provides me with support and mask clearance while I'm on my side. I noticed your "air in the eyes" statement. Are you using a full face mask? Fro, my experience they can be a little more difficult to control with side sleeping. I switched to a nasal pillows mask and a chinstrap. I've found this combination to be more conducive to side sleep. I'm sure that this topic will have answers be as varied as mask preferences.

unfortunatly I sleep with my mouth open. I don't think im hardcore enough to tape yet.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:45 pm

I vote for the buckwheat hulls pillow.

I tried all kind of pillows for long time and this is the best ever. With this pillow I can sleep on my back (with my neck problems not bothering me at all), on the sides (I have shoulders problems) and on the stomach using a full face mask. I have used nasal masks and nasal pillows mask also with the buckwheat hulls pillows with absolutely success.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:00 pm

I think you should try getting the F10 to "float" on your face. Once you get that done, you can pretty much sleep on any pillow. I have an F10, I run pressures of 7 -14 every night on APAP and have no appreciable leaks (my 95% leak rate is less than 3L/min on SH).

Once I mask up, I dig in my face into the pillow on both sides, to check if the F10 is holding. And it does. So rather than looking for a fix via a pillow, fix the mask fit. A good place to start will be the Airfit videos on youtube. The trick is to wear it fairly loose. Its very counter-intuitive but it works.

OffroadToy

Post by OffroadToy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi everyone... newbie here. I'm a side sleeper and have found betwwen the Airfit F10 and AirFit P10 there's no comparision... the P10 wins hands down. No air blowing into the pillow or my eyes and zero leaks. Granted, the AirFit F10 is a great mask once you treat it like a hoover craft on your face and get it to float... just isn't comfortable for me while side sleeping and i find myself constantly adjusting it on my nose (seems to want to ride up towards my eyes.)
Between sleeping on my back with the full face and sleeping on my side with the nasal pillows it appears my ahi numbers are WAY lower sleeping on my side. The only downside is having to wear a chin strap... still trying to find one that works. Anyway, that's been my experience after the first month and a half on Cpap.