My new Airsense 10 - just got it!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleeplessinaz

My new Airsense 10 - just got it!

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:00 am

I know some people already have the new S10 - did you sign up for the MyAir program? The s10 has cell phone technology that send your nightly stats to not only the DME but to a website? I think that's pretty darn cool! No, I did not get the For Her version as the color was tacky. I prefer the black. Looks pretty cool. Just wondering how everyone is liking their new S10 and if you have had any problems with it yet?

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

dave21

Re: My new Airsense 10 - just got it!

Post by dave21 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:09 am

I haven't signed up for MyAir as I'm using SleepHead and ResScan to download the data off the machine but it looked like a good service although its subscription based and not sure really we get all the data off it from what I've read so far. I think it's more really for help by ResMed or DME that can look at your stats quickly if you have a problem rather than taking the machine in and getting SD card read.

Black definitely is better in my opinion, although some people may like the pink.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:12 am

I got the straight A10 because the ForHer was on back order and I didn't want to wait another month to start therapy. I'm beginning to wonder if that was a mistake because it looks like the ForHer version has stuff to deal with arousals that the straight A10 doesn't have, and that's my big problem.

The MyAir program mostly just pisses me off -- but I'm kind of a cranky bitch, so your mileage will vary.

There are some odd bugs in the software interface, but nothing really critical. It took me a couple of days to figure out how to turn EPR off because that doesn't seem to work. Actually, I'm not sure if you can turn EPR off unless you also turn Ramp off, because my trick was to make EPR ramp-only with ramp turned off.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:20 am

Did they give you the clinician/provider manual to you along with the usual user manual?
If not you can request it here.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Thatgirl

Post by Thatgirl » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:45 am

dave21 wrote:
Black definitely is better in my opinion, although some people may like the pink.
The S9 for Her was a terrible metallic pink. The Airsense 10 for Her is a light gray with dark gray flower accents. I was the first person at my DME to get the "for her" 10 and the therapist that set me up had to walk around the office to show everyone how pretty it was.

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:28 pm

MyAir is not a subscription as far as I have been told - it's free from ResMed. I did not like the gray For Her version of the S10 with the ivy leaves on it - not a good look!

Thank you for the poster who gave me the clinical manual link! I was just going to ask about that. I shall download it once I get home to my desktop.
Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:15 pm

The ForHer version is not just a different case -- the software in the machine is different, too. The black box has two modes -- cpap & ResMed Classic. The ForHer version has three modes -- the cpap & the ResMed Classic, but also a new mode which reacts more quickly but less strongly to events than the Classic mode.

(I for one think that the marketing and packaging of this product is insane. Once you have a 3-mode machine that has passed your testing and QA, adding a 2-mode machine just means another platform that you have to pay to test. They can't charge more for the straight-A10 because it is worth less, so they've put themselves in the position of paying extra development and testing costs but they can't make any extra revenue from their extra costs. I imagine some meetings that could star in a Dilbert cartoon.)

jctampa

Post by jctampa » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:56 pm

I can't say enough good things about my new RMa10FH. I'm quite the opposite of a "her", but I got the device after one day on the standard a10 when I saw the data download available on the FH. The availability of RERA and CSR reporting is important to me due to some conditions I have.

After a week trial each on the FH mode and the APAP mode, I found them both to be a marked improvement over my PRS60 which I still suspect was impaired somehow. The biggest difference between the two modes was I felt like the FH didn't respond as "aggressively" as I prefer but still with almost identical results. I think it is safe to say the biggest difference in the two was a comfort kind of thing, for those that need/want that.

As for the color (gray with overgrowth) I think that is probably the last thing that matters to me, way behind performance, noise level and a water tub that holds enough to preclude excessive refilling.

(p.s. I've never had such extended sleep time, low AHI's, reduction in RERA, CSR and open airways.) Nasacort should get some credit as well.

"JC"

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:15 pm

I second the thumbs up on the Nasacort spray ..... Stuff works well

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

dave21

Post by dave21 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:00 am

sleeplessinaz wrote:MyAir is not a subscription as far as I have been told - it's free from ResMed. I did not like the gray For Her version of the S10 with the ivy leaves on it - not a good look!
The actual MyAir isn't but there is a cellular subscription to get the data to it on the machine, at least that's how it works out in the UK. You can buy the AirSense 10 with 3 months cellular use, 12 months or 24 months. Maybe in other territories it operates differently, and int he UK they don't call it MyAir they call it AirView, but a 12 month cellular subscription equals £40 / $60 a year subscription.
AirVew and Wireless Connectivity - connected care when you need it
With its wireless connectivity, the AirSense 10 offers you unparalleled levels of support and service though its seamless integration with our optional AirView™ Patient Management system and Remote Assist support.

With Airview and Remote Assist, your AirSense 10 can be accessed remotely, and securely, by your care provider. They can review your therapy data, adjust your device settings, check that your device is working properly and troubleshoot any issues to ensure you get the right treatment without delay.

AirView gives you connected care when you need it most - there’s no need to take your machine to your care provider or send your SD card for their review.
There's also more information in US at http://www.cpap-supply.com/Articles.asp?ID=357

Although AirView gives you more connected care with your DME/Medical team and MyAir is more for just quick stats for the patient, I think you still need the GSM subscription for the machine because without that there's no WiFi on the AirSense 10 so there's no way of getting data off the device unless you manually copy the data off the SD card which many of us do already.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:54 am

Nasacort is the bomb! My husband and I both use it. So glad to have some positive feedback on the Airsense 10 Autoset. I sent an email off to request the clinician manual. The DME set my range from 5 to 15! When I asked why the big span - she said that's what your doctor wrote on the script. When I got home and looked at my script he did no such thing! Grrrr! My new sleep study of last month showed my cpap pressure of an 8. I don't think I need the auto set to be 5 to 15. I was going to change it to 6 to 10. What's everyone thing about a tighter range?

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:18 am

AirVew and Wireless Connectivity - connected care when you need it
With its wireless connectivity, the AirSense 10 offers you unparalleled levels of support and service though its seamless integration with our optional AirView™ Patient Management system and Remote Assist support.

With Airview and Remote Assist, your AirSense 10 can be accessed remotely, and securely, by your care provider. They can review your therapy data, adjust your device settings, check that your device is working properly and troubleshoot any issues to ensure you get the right treatment without delay.

AirView gives you connected care when you need it most - there’s no need to take your machine to your care provider or send your SD card for their review.
If you read between the lines, what that is saying is that there is no option to transmit any sort of detailed data to ResMed, to your DME, or to your doctor. The "phone home" that the machine sends only gives the summary data, so when they say "there’s no need to take your machine to your care provider or send your SD card for their review" it means that they can't even imagine that your provider gives a rat's patootie about whether your therapy is working well and what the quality of your sleep is. Because loading up your card and looking at the detailed data can only happen if you physically bring the card to them.

It's like everything in medical care: you are responsible for your own health and the health of your loved ones, and if you don't take control nobody else will.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:59 am

sleeplessinaz wrote:What's everyone thing about a tighter range?
It's what some people think is "better" and it isn't worth fighting over so I let it be. Actually only the minimum is critical setting...the maximum is not so critical because generally if the machine doesn't think it needs to go there it won't.
Now sometimes it might want to go fighting snores or flow limitations that would never grow up to be full grown apneas or hyponeas and sometimes going higher causes issues (like aerophagia or sleep quality disturbances) so then it is probably prudent to rein in the maximum but not everyone has those sort of issues.
Used to be that the older machines would sort of go chasing leaks with more pressure trying to fix leaks but that doesn't happen anymore with these new machines.

In your situation...if the machine never goes above say 9 (and you had the maximum of 15 or 20) then it doesn't really matter what the maximum is set at if it never gets near the maximum.

It's the minimum that is the most critical setting though. It needs to be close enough to the needed pressures so it can get there quickly enough to prevent further collapse of the airway.
Since your fixed pressure RX was 8 cm...that 5 cm initial minimum might have been able to do the job..it's real close to 8 (assuming that 8 did a great job). If your fixed pressure RX had been 12...that 5 cm minimum probably wouldn't be able to do a good job. Something like 9 or 10 cm minimum would probably have been a better starting point.

Now someone who had been using fixed 8cm might find that the 5 or 6 starting point isn't all that comfortable from a stifling or suffocation point of view. If that's the case then raising the minimum purely from a comfort perspective could be done.

Also some people who have been using fixed pressure may find that the auto adjusting pressures are a bit disturbing to sleep quality...wakes them up. If that should happen then again setting the minimum so it doesn't roam very much would be the way to go if someone wanted to stay in apap mode. Again if the minimum is set optimally the machine is unlikely to go increasing the pressures anywhere near whatever the maximum might be. There are instances where a really tight range might be a better choice but in most cases as long as the machine isn't chasing stuff that isn't a big deal the maximum doesn't really make much of a difference where it is set. If it is never met...and the machine doesn't go there..if the maximum could be set at 100 cm it wouldn't matter if the machine never went to 10 or whatever.
Having a maximum that is never reached doesn't affect the response. It becomes a moot point if the machine doesn't go there.
Just because it can go there doesn't mean it will go there.

But people tend to advise a small range and I don't challenge it because the same principle applies...if it doesn't ever go to the maximum when a tight range is used..then it is still a moot point. It hurts nothing at all to have a limited maximum if it is never reached but it doesn't affect the response time then either.

When I was using apap I found that 10 cm was a good minimum for me. Anything below that minimum would allow clustering of OAs and hyponeas. I had the max wide open at 20 and sometimes I would see the machine go to 18 or 19 cm for brief periods of time. Usually in what appeared to be probably REM stage sleep which also happens to be when my OSA is worse (per sleep study).
That range worked for me...let the machine do its job effectively and I slept well and those wide changes in pressure never bothered my sleep. In fact I never had any idea they even happened until I saw a report.
Should I have been one of those people who had some issues with those changing pressures then I would have made some compromises and tightened the range a bit.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:38 am

I followed Pugsy's advice...my lower end (8.5 today) gets tweaked to comfort and attempting to limit snores (currently my issue) while everything else looks pretty good. Top end is around 15. I've come close to it often enough but not over to feel it's reasonable. If ever it tops out, my guess is it would be during a large leak, which I have no issue with so far.
These settings allow for a bit of wiggle room.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks Pugsy---makes perfect sense to me what you are saying......

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper