SD card replacement

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Posey

SD card replacement

Post by Posey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:03 am

I have used the same card for over a year. Can this be replaced by a SD card of another brand or does it have to be from Resmed?
I noted on my SH that some periods of data are missing so I thought maybe I should replace the card.

Pugsy

Re: SD card replacement

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:08 am

Does NOT have to be a Resmed brand SD card.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:16 am

Usually when some data starts disappearing it's because the machine needs to be powered off. I've had this a lot on the S9, I would find if the machine wasn't powered off fully in about 4 weeks then one of the graphs / data would start to get dropped off. Power cycling (unplugging power) for 30 seconds and plugging it back in once a week when I would take the SD card out and download the data would fix this for me.

As Pugsy has said, any SD card will work, just make sure when you put it in the machine you allow it to format the data (and ensure the write protect switch is off).

Posey

Post by Posey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:25 am

Ok. Thanks. I will power down. I have powered down to travel several times in this time period but will be more diligent in doing so each month. I am also going to replace the card.
BTW Thanks for being here. I don't post often but can almost always find the answer to my ? by reading others.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:31 am

Hey that's okay, hope it works for you too.

BTW, one thing I found after about a year with my S9 was that not only do some of the graphs disappear when you go to read the data on the computer but sometimes the AHI shows 0.0 when it's almost impossible for us CPAP users to reach a 0.0 and if you see it for several days in a row in your data, that also means the S9 needs a full power cycle (power off and on at the plug).

I mentioned to ResMed a number of years ago about this and there seem stop be some kind of memory leak in the S9 so it stops writing some of the data or writes it incorrectly. For both the power down once a week for sure fixes it for me and I don't see the problem unless I forget to power down for 3-4 weeks then I start seeing either of the problems again.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:32 am

Some machines that use SD cards have a limit to the capacity of the card they can read or use. The SD card that comes with the S9 is 2 gigs, so I would assume that it won't handle a very large capacity card, so stay with the lower capacities since that's all it really needs. I noticed that the replacement cards being sold for the S9 specifically on certain CPAP websites were 4 gig, so I went to Walgreens and picked up one of their store branded 4 gig SDHC cards and it worked just fine. It did not mater that it was the newer "HC" card. I did not experiment with the more widely available 8 gig SDHC cards as the machine doesn't really need that much SD capacity, but they might work too, I am sure someone might chime in and say they got those to work, but I wouldn't bother going larger than than that. I tried to find the older standard SD cards that were not SDHC but could not find one as they are being phased out, but the 4 gig SDHC cards did work for me. They are formatted in FAT 32 but not sure if you'll be able to see that on the label, that's probably pretty standard for these cards.

You should be able to find 4gig SDHC cards at places like Target, Walmart, Wallgreens, etc, also I know that cpap dot com sells them for the S9 and newer AirSense machine.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:40 am

From forum sponsor's web site:

This is an SDHC 4GB SD card formatted for FAT32 that will work with the following CPAP machines:

PR System One - 50 and 60 Series
ResMed S9
ResMed AirSense™ 10
ResMed AirCurve™ 10

Link to Sleepyhead:

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:52 am

I did use a 16gb SDHC once, but found really it wasn't worth paying the extra money for it, the reason because the detailed data stored by the S9 (and I presume AirSense 10) only keeps a maximum of 7 days of detailed data, then on the 8th day all the previous 7 days of detailed data gets deleted. So really anything larger than a 256mb (which I believe is what my original S9 came with) was quite a waste.

It's better off buying a cheaper (smaller) card and then just creating a directory on your hard disk to backup the entire card if you want to keep all the detailed data and do that every 7 days.

You can recreate the data on a card by letting the S9 reformat the card by inserting a new card or formatting it in a computer as FAT32 and then copying the folder that you backup back to the card, then import the data into your software again on the PC/Mac.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:30 am

Agree with Dave, it's just in this day and age it's really hard to find an SD card smaller than 4 gig, even the 4 gig was difficult to find locally or on Amazon. The smallest card that is commonly found in stores these days is 8 gigs. I did find a few 4 gig cards but they are more difficult to locate these days.

Link to Sleepyhead:

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:49 am

Also, smaller does not equal cheaper once the smaller ones move into the obsolete ("exotic" ? "antique"?) category. I did see on amazon where you could by a 5-pack of 2-gig cards for less than the price of one of them.

Also, are you sure that they are FAT32? I'm at work and my card is at home, but I could swear that Disk Utility said that it was FAT16. I have been making .dmg files using Disk Utility for a secondary backup. I explored making a backup of the card on a new card, but was warned that ResMed machines use FAT16 and a cyclic redundancy check algorithm that Disk Utility can't duplicate.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:55 am

Maybe FAT16 will work too, but the cards I am using and the cards that cpap dot com sells specifically for these machines is definitely formatted FAT32. Give the FAT16 a try and let us know.

Link to Sleepyhead:

jacobsbd

Post by jacobsbd » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:56 pm

I think it depends on how old or perhaps what version of software you have on your machine. My older S9 will not work with an SD card larger that 2GB, others have no problem with that size
...I understand you've been running from the man that goes by the name of the Sandman

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:09 pm

jacobsbd wrote:I think it depends on how old or perhaps what version of software you have on your machine. My older S9 will not work with an SD card larger that 2GB, others have no problem with that size
Yeah I think you're right on there, my S9 is just about two years old so a little newer model with a later software version, and of course the Airsense is quite new.

Link to Sleepyhead:

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:59 pm

Most people handle a SD card by the contact lead area not realizing that their fingers contain oils that can act as an insulator. Try to avoid touching the gold colored contact area if at all possible. If you need to clean it, use a cotton pad or a paper towel lightly moistened with either denatured alcohol, vodka, or as a last resort, rubbing alcohol. The rubbing alcohol contains a large amount of water is why it should be the last thing to use. Gently clean the area and then dry it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:34 pm

SGearhart wrote: denatured alcohol, vodka, or as a last resort, rubbing alcohol. The rubbing alcohol contains a large amount of water is why it should be the last thing to use.
typical vodka, 80 proof, 40% alcohol,
typical rubbing alcohol, 140 proof, 70% alcohol
91% rubbing alcohol, 182 proof, 91% alcohol.
rubbing alcohol IS denatured..

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.