are you a new CPAP user? want to help us design an app?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Krelvin

Re: are you a new CPAP user? want to help us design an app?

Post by Krelvin » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:45 pm

nwootten123 wrote:Hi guys - I've created an account. Let me know if you're interested in helping with us design the user experience. This is awesome; I'm glad there's interest!
You haven't provided ANY information that would make we want to chat yet.

Who are you?
Do YOU or YOUR group use CPAP yourself's?
App as in for Mobile Access or as an Application for use with PC and/or Mac
If Mobile, how do you plan on getting the data?

Is this Nate?
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:51 pm

Wulfman... wrote:What's an "app"?
den, there's an app for that! *drags den kicking and screaming into the 21st century*

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:58 pm

palerider wrote:
den, there's an app for that! *drags den kicking and screaming into the 21st century*
Did you even look at the link I posted? "App" can have many meanings. (as Krelvin listed a few possibilities)
If somebody was to come into my office and try to sell me a "widget", I'd want to know more about it before plunking my money down.

And, besides, my question was for the original poster. (you're supposed to play along with my line of questioning)

And, after nearly 10 years on this therapy.......that I can't sleep without.......how is any software product (that I don't already have) going to help me?

P S. I'm also not going to acquire any more communication devices that the NSA can listen in on. The 21st Century is a scary place.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Margaret_Yakoda

Post by Margaret_Yakoda » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:14 am

I saw a couple of apps that would (supposedly) would work as an alarm and wake you in the morning during a time of light sleep vs deep sleep. I think th eidea is the app uses the sensor in your phone to detect when you're moving and not moving, and using that to decide when to wake you. Of course, you need to be holding the phone, or have it under your pillow for this to work. Resmed has a new(ish) device that claims to do the same thing remotely.

I think coupling this sort of feature with a CPAP might be absolutely fantastic.

As far as testing it? With a lot more information about who the OP is, and what they're hoping to do, I might be interested in testing the app. But my phone was not new enough to use the aps I saw on Google Play, so I might not be a good beta tester on such a thing.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:41 am

Wulfman... wrote:
palerider wrote:
Did you even look at the link I posted?
And, besides, my question was for the original poster. (you're supposed to play along with my line of questioning)

And, after nearly 10 years on this therapy.......that I can't sleep without.......how is any software product (that I don't already have) going to help me?

P S. I'm also not going to acquire any more communication devices that the NSA can listen in on. The 21st Century is a scary place.
I knew it'd be a terrible fight.

no, I didn't click on your link, because I know what an app is. it's a small program that performs a function, like a scaled down version of sleepyhead, that mark has planned, for tablets and phones. it's hard to argue that a sleepyhead app, providing much of the functionality of sleepyhead, wouldn't be an asset to anybody that has a modern machine.

I'm dubious about the OP, just like I'm dubious about anybody that says "AH! desperate people! I can scam some money off of their fears and desires!" as the OP seems, on the surface, to be wanting to do.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:50 am

They are watching---YOU!

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:37 am

I know we must seem like a bunch of prickly jerks here, but if you are an app developer something that you need to understand is that state-of-the-art, modern, best-practices, mainstream treatment for sleep apnea includes being obnoxious, insulting and condescending to the patients. (Think about it -- if you use the term "compliance" to refer to what people do when they are unconscious, then you are quite simply an a--hole.)

It all depends on what you want for product placement. Are you trying to sell to people like us, who have taken control of our therapy and our health? Because there appears to be a pretty large market out there of sheeple who think that they deserve the insults. If you are going to encapsulate the mainstream obnoxious insults into your software and sell to the sheep, you probably want to stay away from us, because we won't be the sort of people who will give you useful feedback as to what the sheep want, but we will take out all of our cranky sleep-deprived frustrations on you.

bv1800

Post by bv1800 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:52 am

Are you the same person or part of the same team that's mentioned in this thread, from September?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100860&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:51 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
palerider wrote:
Did you even look at the link I posted?

I knew it'd be a terrible fight.

no, I didn't click on your link, because I know what an app is. it's a small program that performs a function, like a scaled down version of sleepyhead, that mark has planned, for tablets and phones. it's hard to argue that a sleepyhead app, providing much of the functionality of sleepyhead, wouldn't be an asset to anybody that has a modern machine.

I'm dubious about the OP, just like I'm dubious about anybody that says "AH! desperate people! I can scam some money off of their fears and desires!" as the OP seems, on the surface, to be wanting to do.
Absolutely! And, trying to keep up with all the tech toys can have a serious drain on a person's bank account. I learned that lesson 20 plus years ago with just computers and the various accessories.

Regarding this thread......after many years of these types of situations, a person's "antennae" goes up. What it can amount to is that they want help developing software or other products......to benefit their own incomes. This forum has always had numerous "tech" oriented people of a vast array of capabilities. Two of the add-on programs which enhanced the Encore Pro software ("MyEncore" and "Encore Pro Analyzer") were developed by forum members as was the "MyCPAP" smart card utility program. I still use "MyEncore" regularly. And, if "apps" were warranted, they probably would have been developed by the users by now (or may even be in development).

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:14 pm

An app to help you use your xPAP would simply detect if you were asleep and weather you had your mask and machine on. If asleep with no mask it would simply deliver an electric shock until you "learned" like Pavlov's dogs to use your machine and mask every time you dozed off. Or until the magnitude of the electrical shock stopped your heart.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:20 pm

I would really like to see an online service to help find doctors and DMEs that will encourage full-data machines.
It would also be nice to be able to see in advance which insurance companies/plans do NOT make this such a royal PITA.
--Before you sign up with them!
I have mentioned for years that we really need a way to use 3-D imaging to predict which masks will FIT!
How about a GPS tool to locate sellers in other cities for accessories that were foolishly left at home?
There is only ONE key to encouraging patient participation,--that is THE PATIENT.
We need to be comfortable, have meaningful feedback, and NOT feel like we are being mercilessly jerked around.
If you can do any of these things, you can made yourself useful.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm a bit of a skeptic on this. We have software that gives us the information we need from the machine data. If an app can replace the need to download and view on a PC, that's all well and good, but I don't see where our input comes in. Any app has the relatively simple challenge of identifying what data users find useful...clue, it's the same data displayed by Encore or Sleepyhead. The hard part is porting that data from the many devices that record that data (different manufacturers, models and data formats), to the many smartphone models that will be the user interface.

I would be reluctant to divulge medical or personal information until I saw a some comprehension on the part of "app-guy" nwootten123 of what this project really involves.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:56 am

Neophyte programmer has visions of getting rich off a couple hours work.

nwootten123

Post by nwootten123 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:19 am

Hey peeps,

Still need new CPAP users to check out our iPhone and Android app and let us know what they'd like to see on it. Anyone interested? Pleeeeease. It will be fun

Thanks,
Nate

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:21 am

nwootten123 wrote:Hey peeps,

Still need new CPAP users to check out our iPhone and Android app and let us know what they'd like to see on it. Anyone interested? Pleeeeease. It will be fun

Thanks,
Nate
So this is now starting to sound like classic spam.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal