New to using the machine not new to having one

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
highhopes420

Re: New to using the machine not new to having one

Post by highhopes420 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:51 am

LSAT wrote:How about another slight raise of the minimum pressure? Maybe to 11.
I was wondering about that, also if I should increase my max to 17?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:00 am

You spent very little time at 16 cm so I don't think it is urgent that you increase the maximum but if you want to you can.
Personally if I didn't have issues with higher pressures (aerophagia or centrals or sleep disturbances) I would set it to 20 and let the machine sort it out. I don't see centrals being an issue for you...if you were going to have a problem with pressure triggered centrals I suspect they would have already announced their presence.

Another 1 cm minimum increase also crossed my mind....it isn't urgently needed and this is only 1 night and a short night at that ....so you can do it if you want to. Your AHI is acceptable now but there's still a lot of movement of the pressure line so quite a bit of variation still.
If it were me and this was my report I would probably increase that minimum a little more...but that's me. It isn't something that is urgently needed and probably technically you should maybe have more than 1 night...but sometimes I don't always do what I preach. meaning I don't always give every setting change multiple nights which I know I probably should.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

highhopes420

Post by highhopes420 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:08 am

I'm thinking now that when I get woken up its because of insufficient pressure even though I thought before this forum it was too much pressure. I'll adjust the minimum to 11 tonight and see how I do.

I just want to say thank you, again, to everyone that has helped and this forum in general. I have made bigger strides and learned more in the last 2 days than I have in the last year through multiple Dr visits.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:26 am

highhopes420 wrote:I was thinking it looked worse because the Clear Airway was less of a percentage than it had been and the Obstructive and Hypopnea were greater.
look at the big number, compare it to previous days, you went from 14 to 7 to 3. that's a huge improvement.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:52 pm

highhopes420 wrote:I have started getting used to sleeping on my back because if i sleep in any other position the mask shifts and starts to leak, waking me up.
This is a mask that doesn't fit -- you should be able to thrash around quite a bit without causing leaks. (Somebody here was joking that a well-fitting mask should stay on even if you thrash around enough to get strangled by the hose!) This could be a simple sizing issue -- too big or too small -- or it could simply be the wrong mask for your face and no size will ever fit. It could be that you have adjusted the straps either too tight or too loose, too.

Go to our sponsor's website (cpap.com) and find your mask, and look around for links to sizing instructions and proper fitting. Maybe you can track down what's causing your mask to move.

Having to sleep with one eye open ready to mess with your mask is not very much better than having to sleep with one eye open ready to kickstart your breathing back up -- no wonder you feel crappy!

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Maybe one of these anti leak straps will help keep your mask in place. http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_AntiLeak_Strap.html

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:46 pm

I have used a stretchy headband over my head and between the air vents and the hose swivel. This really anchored the QFX down for me.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:26 pm

M'ohms wrote:I have used a stretchy headband over my head and between the air vents and the hose swivel. This really anchored the QFX down for me.
That sounds like a better and cheaper idea than mine.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

highhopes420

Post by highhopes420 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:46 pm

I think it might have been as simple as tightening the straps, which I didn't notice I had to do until I increased the pressure. I slept on my side last night, basically laying my head on the mask and it didn't move.

I'm looking forward to 6 or 7 hours of sleep tonight with an AHI of less than 4. I'm not sure I have ever experienced that. I have been a heavy snorer for as long as I can remember.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:28 pm

highhopes420 wrote:I'm thinking now that when I get woken up its because of insufficient pressure even though I thought before this forum it was too much pressure.
From your reports so far I would not conclude that your pressure was too high before.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

highhopes420

Post by highhopes420 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:35 am

I think I had my best night yet. I think I was woken up 3 or 4 times over 7.5 hours, but compared to the once an hour I'm used too, that's really good for me. I noticed as soon as I got up that I forgot to install my SD card last night. AT least it logged my AHI. I'm Assuming that's accurate even if the card wasn't in the machine at the time.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:12 am

It's accurate. I have done that myself...forget to put the SD card back in the machine. Just last week in fact.

Good job last night...now don't go changing anything and sit back and give these new settings some time for your body to adjust to them.
We know that these settings work well. Don't panic if you have some nights where it might not work as well...we all have them.

The wake ups...3 or 4 isn't bad. Remember sometimes we wake up after a REM cycle and that's normal anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:02 am

on the right, show charts for event flags, flow, pressure OR mask pressure but not both, leaks, and if there's room, snore, and flow limitations, drag and drop and rezise the charts to fit.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.