Need advice

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Greg Riddle

Need advice

Post by Greg Riddle » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:44 pm

I recently started having problems with severe back pain at night. I found it was because my 1 year old tempurpedic bed has a defect and no longer has any support. I have a new bed on the way but until then I have to sleep on my back. Every time I sleep on my side the lack of support really hurts my back. The problem I'm having it's I can't sleep on my back because my osa gets worse and I can't get the pressure any higher sure to severe aerophagia. I am supposed to be getting a bilevel machine sometime. Previous experience tells me who knows when. I'm extremely exhausted from trying to sleep on my back and not my sides. My back hasn't hurt in a week but I am really struggling with exhaustion

Other than sleeping on my stomach which never works well for me. Any ideas. Should I turn the cpap up and try my best to pass the gas

My current settings are16 with the epr set on 3. If I try to get over 16 the stomach pistons and severe boating start

Pugsy

Re: Need advice

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:53 pm

I don't know what to tell you. You are between a rock and a hard place for sure. All I know to offer would be when was the last time you tried a higher pressure and had aerophagia issues? Was it just recently or has it been some time ago. Sometimes aerophagia issues lessen with time and experience so maybe if it has been a while since you tried a higher pressure then maybe you might get lucky and have it not be so bad. If you just tried it the other day though and more than 16 created a lot of problems then of course disregard what I have said.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Two things - my memory foam turned to junk recently but I didn't want to pay for a new one right now, so ripped the foam off the big chunk of supporting 'regular' (firm) foam underneath and I'm sleeping on that... and living to tell about it! If you sleep on your back, it's better than the floor, but you may find your OSA does not get a lot worse unless you do raise the pressure, but if your mask fits well enough, why raise it at all? Do use pillows, etc. under your knees though if you do it.

Other suggestion would be to try a recliner - it's the 'go to' for people stuck without a machine temporarily and you may find it easier than trying to sleep in some other uncomfortable position.
Last edited by Julie on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:15 pm

I may have to try the recliner. Sleeping on my side I need a pressure of 12-13 on my back out need to go up to 19-20 to help the osa. I had a titration a week ago

I tried a higher pressure about two weeks ago. The higher pressure on the bilevel set at 19 Inhale 14 exhale I had no issues with bloating

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Have you tried using pillows to fill the "hammocking" in your bed? You could try to make it level, sort of using some pillows like "bed spackle". Once they're reasonably arranged, cover them with a thick blanket and then a fitted sheet if possible. That might stabilize a flat enough surface to make it comfortable. The surface might be a little convex while you're not sleeping on it. It's only temporary, right? It might be worth a shot, if you can get a relatively flat surface to sleep on. Alternatively, get a plywood board, cover it with a blanket or two (or a yoga mat or ensolite hiker's mat) to smooth things out.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:57 am

Turned cpap up to 17 last night. Woke up several times from blasting and to pass gas. Maybe my new mattress will come today. I do feel a little better rested today