Do I need a CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cobra888

Do I need a CPAP?

Post by cobra888 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:46 am

I am getting average AHI numbers of around .5 - 3.5 with pressures rarely getting above a 6. Seems that the CPAP is not having to do much.

thanks for your input.

VictorC

Re: Do I need a CPAP?

Post by VictorC » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:51 am

What was your untreated AHI? Remember the numbers you are seeing are the treated numbers.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:52 am

Lots more info needed - timeline, other numbers, etc. etc.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:18 am

cobra888 wrote:I am getting average AHI numbers of around .5 - 3.5 with pressures rarely getting above a 6. Seems that the CPAP is not having to do much.

thanks for your input.
That means it is working for you.
Pressure required is not related to severity.
You should be happy.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Severity of apnea is measured by number of events per hour,
Pressure is the "dosage" needed to treat.
You are lucky the obstructions can be moved aside with so little pressure.
You can be treated with more comfortable pressure levels than many others here.
You are in an enviable position.

VVV

Post by VVV » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:51 pm

cobra888 wrote:I am getting average AHI numbers of around .5 - 3.5 with pressures rarely getting above a 6. Seems that the CPAP is not having to do much.

thanks for your input.
Why got you on CPAP to begin with?
.....................................V

Neecerie

Post by Neecerie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:56 pm

I can understand this feeling....

I started CPAP just over two weeks ago, and have AHI from about 2 down to .078 with the machine, and its mostly staying at 5 or 6 pressure wise......

This made me feel like things were not -bad- and that the Dr would want his machine back, because I did not need it. For me, just when I am starting to feel better, this thought was rather terrifying.

Then someone wise reminded me that my AHI was low because the machine was ON and working. No Machine and I would jump back up to 19 AHI.

So yes...you and I both do need the CPAP.

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:33 pm

VVV wrote:Why got you on CPAP to begin with?
Before offering any answers, I would like to know the answer to this good question.

Greendirt

Post by Greendirt » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:42 am

I had about the same numbers. It turned out I didn't have OSA at all, even though 6cm of pressure took me from an AHI of 48 to 0-3.

You'd do well to describe you overall health issues and how you came to be on CPAP.

ButtermilkBuoy

Post by ButtermilkBuoy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:21 am

Greendirt wrote:It turned out I didn't have OSA at all, even though 6cm of pressure took me from an AHI of 48 to 0-3
Ridiculous.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:19 am

Greendirt wrote:I had about the same numbers. It turned out I didn't have OSA at all, even though 6cm of pressure took me from an AHI of 48 to 0-3.

You'd do well to describe you overall health issues and how you came to be on CPAP.
Any AHI over 5 means you have sleep apnea of some sort. It may not be obstructive but it sure as hell is sleep apnea.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Greendirt

Post by Greendirt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:14 am

Ridiculous
Huh? My heart slows down regularly, especially overnight. That can cause similar symptoms to OSA since your breathing is affected when your heart is too slow. I got a pacemaker, my heart rate now stays high, I have no more apnoea, snoring, thrashing in bed, exhaustion etc. My last sleep study proved it: normal AHI.
It may not be obstructive but it sure as hell is sleep apnea
Whatever. Whether one wants to say that a high recorded AHI is sleep apnoea per se a bit moot, really. In that use 'sleep apnoea' would be a descriptive term, not a medical condition.

The right question was asked of the OP: 'why are you on CPAP?' Just being on CPAP doesn't mean you have OSA / CSA. And, by the way, there are reasons to have a high AHI other than OSA.

ButtermilkBuoy

Post by ButtermilkBuoy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Greendirt wrote:My heart slows down regularly, especially overnight. That can cause similar symptoms to OSA since your breathing is affected when your heart is too slow. I got a pacemaker, my heart rate now stays high, I have no more apnoea, snoring, thrashing in bed, exhaustion etc. My last sleep study proved it: normal AHI.
Your have posted something in this thread that seems strange.

You are saying your OSA symptoms were caused by a heart pace problem and a pacemaker successfully treated your OSA symptoms. I leave that statement alone and it could be true.

But here is where there is a problem with your postings. You claim,
Greendirt wrote:6cm of pressure took me from an AHI of 48 to 0-3.
If your sleep-breathing problems were caused by a slow heart rate, how did splinting the airway open effectively treat the breathing problems?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:22 pm

ButtermilkBuoy wrote:
Greendirt wrote:My heart slows down regularly, especially overnight. That can cause similar symptoms to OSA since your breathing is affected when your heart is too slow. I got a pacemaker, my heart rate now stays high, I have no more apnoea, snoring, thrashing in bed, exhaustion etc. My last sleep study proved it: normal AHI.
Your have posted something in this thread that seems strange.

You are saying your OSA symptoms were caused by a heart pace problem and a pacemaker successfully treated your OSA symptoms. I leave that statement alone and it could be true.

But here is where there is a problem with your postings. You claim,
Greendirt wrote:6cm of pressure took me from an AHI of 48 to 0-3.
If your sleep-breathing problems were caused by a slow heart rate, how did splinting the airway open effectively treat the breathing problems?
Yes, you can have similar symptoms with a slow heart rate and SA due to low oxygen circulation. But it sounds to me that the heart failure was associated with central sleep apnea instead of obstructive. Both are measured in your AHI. A pacemaker might help the neurological centrals but I don't see how it would help a mechanical obstructive apnea.

To the OP we really need more info to answer your question.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Greendirt

Post by Greendirt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:50 pm

They are useful questions. Both are beyond me to answer. I can say I have a normal BMI and am otherwise healthy and use no medications. My condition was Sleep Syncope. My first doctor wasn't much use. The second could find no evidence of an obstruction.