Double checking - what can I use on my face?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Re: Double checking - what can I use on my face?

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:55 pm

cnaumann wrote: "Gluten free" is the new "no trans-fats" is the new "no MSG"... wonder what everyone will worry about next.
Just go and sit beside someone who gets glutened and spend your next 24 hours cleaning the bathroom behind them and tell me more about that it is the new "no trans fats"

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:03 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:Just go and sit beside someone who gets glutened
I don't know how it is in Alberta, but down here it's faddish and chic to be gluten-free. There is a big portion of the population going gluten-free without any evidence whatsoever that they have a gluten sensitivity.

A few weeks ago at our club buffet, a lady told me in a bragging tone she could not eat the fried okra because she was on a GF diet. Stealing from Jay Leno, I said to her, "Ahhh, gluten. We keep a large jug of gluten in the cupboard. Pour it on everything we eat. Delicious!"

She avoids me now.
Sheffey

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Just go and sit beside someone who gets glutened
I have a friend that has celiac disease and recently had an intestial transplant. I know that gluten is a very serious issue for some people.

However, I also have dozens of friends that have gone "gluten free" because it the the chic new diet trend. It is kind of annoying, but at least they are making it easier to obtain gluten free food for those that really need it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:10 pm

I can imagine boatloads of people wishing for a peanut-free fad.
Survival should never be so hard, especially for a child.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:34 pm

Although some folks makes jokes about gluten-free & gluten-sensitivity, I have a relative who died of Celiac disease. In her case it took them so long to diagnose it that she already had so much damage to her intestines for her to recover.

My best friend was diagnosed with Celiac disease 2 years ago. Thank goodness hers was found before she had severe damage. She has to eat a strict gluten free diet. I have been eating lots of gluten-free dishes along with her to show support. Imagine my surprise when I found that eating gluten free by choice (not by fad) has made me feel better. I haven't researched this in terms of health benefits, but I know I feel better when I avoid gluten.

One of these days I plan to do a little research about this. Until then, I'm just going to go with my gut (literally) & avoid gluten. My guess is that I will find that many Celiac patients were misdiagnosed as have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I also suspect that over the years gluten has been added to many of our foods as a filler & what appears to be a 'fad' is actually the result of eating processed foods for most of our lives. Again, just a guess.

Froggy, As for peanuts, I do feel terribly sorry for little kids with this allergy. They have to be so careful. I also feel for their parents, it must be hard to worry that some food could be contaminated by accident (cross-contamination). These kids & their parents have to carry Epi-Pens & always have to be on the look out for potential problems. It would be nice for them to be able to go out for ice cream without having to worry about accidental nut usage in the prep area. I do know the Dairy Queen's post a warning on their door & I feel bad for those kids every time I see it.

Gluten-free IMHO is not a fad, but a harsh reality for many & a healthy lifestyle choice for others.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:27 am

An opinion and some observations and warnings related to gluten-free beliefs:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/maga ... /index.htm
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:34 am

palerider wrote:I didn't have that problem with what I bought: http://smile.amazon.com/Snappy-Popcorn- ... B003C4UDEY
Now my FB newsfeed is popping up an ad for that big jar of Snappy Popcorn every 15 minutes.

Thanks for nothing!
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:21 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
palerider wrote:I didn't have that problem with what I bought: http://smile.amazon.com/Snappy-Popcorn- ... B003C4UDEY
Now my FB newsfeed is popping up an ad for that big jar of Snappy Popcorn every 15 minutes.

Thanks for nothing!
now, if you really want popcorn, there's this:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:58 am

Who is Joy and how did she get her name in big blue letters?
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:27 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:Who is Joy and how did she get her name in big blue letters?
blue marker!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:35 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Who is Joy and how did she get her name in big blue letters?

And how did Pa get the honors?

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:16 am

BTW, vaseline is one of the things you shouldn't use if you're using oxygen. Think spontaneous combustion.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.