AirSense 10 Humidifier badly discoloured after first use

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TangledHose

Re: AirSense 10 Humidifier badly discoloured after first use

Post by TangledHose » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:19 am

Dave,

Thanks for getting back to us with the information from ResMed, this has been an interesting thread, and considering the AirSense is a new design it's good to get to the bottom of the problem.

I have been using both my standard tub and my dishwasher safe tub every night because I have my humidity cranked up pretty high (manual setting 7) it's very dry here so I run out of water if I don't swap out the tubs in the middle of the night. I have only experienced a very minor problem with the standard tub, and no issues with the dishwasher safe tub. So I will just continue with my routine and if I ever have to replace my standard tub I will get another dishwasher safe tub. Although I do have a small brown, rusty looking area in the standard tub it's not getting any worse, and with proper cleaning and care I don't see my standard tub ever wearing out, I'll probably have it for years to come.

But at any rate, thanks again for sharing the information that you got - it's how we learn about various issues and nice to know that ResMed responded positively. Good on ya Mate

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:25 pm

dave21 wrote:ResMed do say that
the discolouration is completely harmless to patients and does not have any impact on the HumidAir operation

BUT equally say this is not the desired effect they want to happen and are manufacturing new tubs to resolve this issue. I suspect that this won't be a blanket recall and from March 2015 onwards, if any customer contacts ResMed with this problem they'll send out replacement tubs and request original tubs be returned.

Anyway this is good news for those currently affected by the problem and for any future AirSense 10 users that start to experience this problem. The problem isn't to do with the type of water that you are using, it's a manufacturing defect in a small percentage of tubs and will hopefully be resolved in 3 months.
If I'm right and this is just the oxide layer, that stuff is there on all stainless steel tanks. It's just not transparent in this case.

Let me applaud ResMed for going ahead and fixing the problem anyway, assuming they do get it fixed in the end.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:39 pm

I have relayed the outcome of this thread to my DME, who have not yet seen any evidence of the problem here.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:05 am

TangledHose wrote:Dave,
thanks again for sharing the information that you got - it's how we learn about various issues and nice to know that ResMed responded positively. Good on ya Mate
Thanks TangledHose, yep that's the only way we learn about things like this. It's definitely good that ResMed are responding positively, there's no health problem relating to the discolouration but ResMed don't want their tubs cosmetically looking like this on their new product after a day or two of use, so it's great they've responded positively and are taking steps to rectifying it. Hopefully it's just a small batch as they've suggested where some tubs weren't treated properly and thats why some are affected more than others, and some not at all.
archangle wrote:If I'm right and this is just the oxide layer, that stuff is there on all stainless steel tanks. It's just not transparent in this case.

Let me applaud ResMed for going ahead and fixing the problem anyway, assuming they do get it fixed in the end.
I'm pretty sure that it's either that some of the tubs didn't go through either thorough or any treatment to prevent it from oxidising like this, or that due to the area of the heat plate that's in contact with the tub is much smaller, maybe that part of the tub is getting hotter than it would if a greater surface area were applied. Yeah it's definitely good that ResMed have looked into this and reproduced the problem, I'm sure they'll try to improve it in future batches of the tubs.
chunkyfrog wrote:I have relayed the outcome of this thread to my DME, who have not yet seen any evidence of the problem here.
ResMed say it's definitely a small percentage of customers being affected, so most likely it's a small percentage of batch runs of tubs that are affected, or if tubs are manufactured across different factories then its possible that tubs from one factory are only affected, that's probably why your DME hasn't seen any evidence yet. Fingers crossed it's something as small as 1% of customers that do see the problem now and even less in future when they try to improve future batches of the tubs.

Jackie1

Post by Jackie1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm having this issue, had unit for about 2 months. Is there an update to this?
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Sleep study prescription 9-15
AirFit™ P10 nose pillow mask

daytona

Post by daytona » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:55 pm

Tell your provider and they should swap out your tub for a new one.

IDontSnoreISwear

Post by IDontSnoreISwear » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:02 pm

VERY informative. My tank is discolored too, and I've only ever used distilled water (and have never run it dry). I'll have to talk to my DME.

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:07 pm

I have the same discoloration in the metal on the bottom of my tub. Have used it for only 1 month with distilled water!

Good to know that the dishwasher safe tub doesn't seem to have this problem.

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:53 pm

jagzoo wrote:I have the same discoloration in the metal on the bottom of my tub. Have used it for only 1 month with distilled water!

Good to know that the dishwasher safe tub doesn't seem to have this problem.
Mine is dishwasher safe and has the discoloring going on. Calling my DME in the morning. Only distiller water, and it doesn't get empty throughout the night.

Thanks for keeping at this.

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:58 pm

Sorry to hear that the dishwasher safe one is doing this also
Especially since I have no recourse to warranty service.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 pm

Is there any evidence the problem is anything but cosmetic?
After over a year of use, my dish-washerable tank looks flawless.
I do only hand wash it, and not very often at that.
My S9 tanks had little rainbows on the steel,
almost from Day One; but who looks THERE?

MeToo

Post by MeToo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:20 pm

I purchased my A-10 through cpap.com and just had a "live chat" conversation with their rep. According to him, Resmed "will usually provide a replacement for a defective water chamber if it's within the warranty period. The warranty on a water chamber is 90 days. The machine and humidifier have a two yr warranty." Unfortunately, I bought mine back in Feb 2015 and the discoloration appeared within a week or two. The CPAP.com rep is communicating with Resmed about this. I'll reply if there is anything noteworthy to report.

I have been disappointed with my A10 from the start. At auto humidifier setting, I get water in my mask on colder nights. I wonder if the heating element is screwed up. The S9 functioned perfectly in this regard. I've been such a loyal Resmed user (5 or so machines) and I wasn't prudent about waiting for the bugs to get worked out.

Thanks all. This board is a great resource. I should remember to check it more frequently.