AirSense 10 Humidifier badly discoloured after first use

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: AirSense 10 Humidifier badly discoloured after first use

Post by Goofproof » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:14 am

I feel left out, my HH tank doesn't show any marks with the lights out, it doesn't even glow. I'm going to send of for a improved one. Jim

This thread reminds my of the guy that was eating out and found a fly in his soup. He complained to the waiter, who replyed, "Please don't tell everyone", they will want one, and we are running low on flys.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:02 am

You don't need to bother removing the oxide formation layers, its harmless and will just return.

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:49 am

dave21 wrote:So now after vinegar and hot water the tub is clean albeit other than a few marks, I then had another 8 hours sleep last night with AirSense 10 set on Auto (27C) and here's the result. Basically it's come back again to the extent of what you would see on the 1st night. The 2nd night onwards you'll see the multicolours again.
Did you use distilled water this time?

I mean, "they" say:

If that turns out OK then check the mineral content of the tap water (specifically, iron, calcium, magnesium, and chlorine).

If you want to continue to use tap water I suggest you re-passivate with nitric acid (although you might end up with only the metal bottom piece left).
You Kids Have Fun!!

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:41 am

archangle wrote:My point is that you usually don't coat stainless steel. It just doesn't need coating in most cases.
Well maybe that's what has happened, perhaps other previous tubs were coated and that's why they never exhibited this problem but the newer AirSense 10 tubs (or at least certain batches) aren't coated and that's why we are seeing this problem.
palerider wrote:well, enjoy... though it's actually more of a 32$ pan, including the cost of the cover.... but, whateves.
LOL yeah you're probably right there, the $50 pan's wouldn't exhibit this problem lol
Goofproof wrote:I feel left out, my HH tank doesn't show any marks with the lights out, it doesn't even glow. I'm going to send of for a improved one. Jim

This thread reminds my of the guy that was eating out and found a fly in his soup. He complained to the waiter, who replyed, "Please don't tell everyone", they will want one, and we are running low on flys.
Awww, can I make you feel better and we do an exchange for the nice new high def colour tub? You'll get a nice new tub, well it's second hand granted, but it's only been used for like 7 nights, it's practically brand new and I have the original packaging. How does that sound? Heck, I'll even throw in a bottle of malted distilled white vinegar, you'll need it lol

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:42 am

Sludge wrote:I mean, "they" say:

If that turns out OK then check the mineral content of the tap water (specifically, iron, calcium, magnesium, and chlorine).

If you want to continue to use tap water I suggest you re-passivate with nitric acid (although you might end up with only the metal bottom piece left).
Oh, you mean I shouldn't be plugging the power plug directly into the water sitting in the tub? lol. Yes did all of the above, and distilled water does the same thing.

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:43 am

dave21 wrote:Yes did all of the above, and distilled water does the same thing.
Unless it's photographic technique, IMO it looks MUCH better, so IIWY I would continue distilled water and the re-passivation process and see what shakes out.
You Kids Have Fun!!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:07 am

dave21 wrote:
palerider wrote:well, enjoy... though it's actually more of a 32$ pan, including the cost of the cover.... but, whateves.
LOL yeah you're probably right there, the $50 pan's wouldn't exhibit this problem lol
you miss the point. while the airsense is a 800$ machine, the bit you're spazzing out about is a 32$ part (retail)

OH GOD! IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE I THINK IT SHOULD! I SHALL HAVE A CONNIPTION FIT! FROTH! RANT! SCREAM!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:09 am

Paralel wrote:You don't need to bother removing the oxide formation layers, its harmless and will just return.
but then what would he do to get all this attention?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:53 am

Sludge wrote:
dave21 wrote:Yes did all of the above, and distilled water does the same thing.
Unless it's photographic technique, IMO it looks MUCH better, so IIWY I would continue distilled water and the re-passivation process and see what shakes out.
That's the first night it looks the same with regular tap water and distilled water. Second night onwards it goes rainbow coloured.
palerider wrote:you miss the point. while the airsense is a 800$ machine, the bit you're spazzing out about is a 32$ part (retail)

OH GOD! IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE I THINK IT SHOULD! I SHALL HAVE A CONNIPTION FIT! FROTH! RANT! SCREAM!
We still don't know if it's the tub or if it's the machine overheating the tub way too much at this point, so yes $1000 machine until we know further. If its the tub, then fine, but these tubs in the UK are £70 or equivalent of $150 in the US, so still not good, and if ResMed want to supply a years worth of supply of tubs for the next 5 years then I'm happy with that too. I've had CPAP machines all ResMed for the last 9 nearly 10 years, not one has had this problem, ever. I don't think it's too much to ask for. If you bought a new car and the paint discoloured after the first night of leaving it out in the air, would you be happy? What if your TV stopped showing the colour blue after the first night. It still works though, is that okay?

If this happened after about 6 months use or maybe even 3 months then yes it's more acceptable, but after 1 night it simply isn't.

ResMed have also been extremely good and completely agree this shouldn't be happening at all and certainly not after 1 nights use and are trying to find out what the cause of the problem is and to rectify it so that others don't experience this same problem.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:48 am

dave21 wrote: We still don't know if it's the tub or if it's the machine overheating the tub way too much at this point
as has been pointed out to you, though you don't care, you can't heat that tub much over 100c (assuming you're near sea level) because that would cause the water to boil, taking heat away from the metal. presumably you'd have noticed live steam cooking your face, though, maybe that's the real cause of the problem... have you examined your face closely?

to get the tub much above 100c, you'd have to boil it dry, you alledge you haven't.

for comparison sake, take two pots, put a couple cm of water in one, leave the other empty. put both on your cooker, turned up on high. measure the surface of both pans with a thermometer.

report back.
dave21 wrote: If you bought a new car and the paint discoloured after the first night of leaving it out in the air, would you be happy?
What if your TV stopped showing the colour blue after the first night. It still works though, is that okay?
there's some term for that kind of ridiculous 'argument', but the technicalities of it escape me... suffice it to say, you're whining about a cosmetic effect that doesn't affect the function of the device. which is to provide precisely pressurized air with added humidity.

to make your stupid questions more appropriate, they would be:

"you bought a new car, and drove it, and now when you open the hood, it's not all perfectly pretty anymore, and there's dirt on the wheel wells and crap stuck onthe bottom of it!?!?!? IT'S HORRIBLE! TAKE IT BACK! I WANT A DIRT PROOF CAR!

"what if your brand new TV developed a funny colored spot on the bottom of it after the first night??!??! WOULD THAT BE OK!????! I examine the bottom of my tv every day and it disturbs me! I mean, the picture and the sound are still great, but this funny colored spot on the bottom disturbs me to no end!!! doens't it bother you???!?!??! I can't watch those beautiful pictures knowing that spot is there!!!!"

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:56 am

I just picked up my new S10 and they told me to never ever use tap water. Distilled only! No problems with mine.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:06 am

palerider wrote:as has been pointed out to you, though you don't care, you can't heat that tub much over 100c (assuming you're near sea level) because that would cause the water to boil, taking heat away from the metal. presumably you'd have noticed live steam cooking your face, though, maybe that's the real cause of the problem... have you examined your face closely?
Well Palerider, i really don't know what your problem is and why you want to go all out on a personal attack, but like I have already said, there are customers that aren't happy with the new tubs and how they are discolouring and I am not alone. This has never happened in the history of tubs created by ResMed I am told by one ResMed spokesperson. ResMed UK and ResMed Australia have also said this is not the desired behaviour and want to identify why this is starting to happen on a certain batch of machines and tubs when it has never happened before and to try and fix this.

So again I don't know what your problem is or why you want to make personal attacks, I'm just stating the facts here. You may think it's perfectly acceptable to have your new machine tub look like this after 1 night (and that's your opinion) but others don't feel the same way and ResMed too feel it shouldn't look like that after 1 nights use. So again, please refrain from personal attacks and if you don't like what is being posted in this thread, don't read it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:19 pm

dave21 wrote: if you don't like what is being posted in this thread, don't read it.
I couldn't have said it better, dave.

there's a wide gulf between "I don't like it because pretty" and "there's a problem with this that affects the functionality of the machine".

you're firmly in the first camp.

and, I don't know if you've noticed it, but the customer isn't always right, the customer is often full of crap, out in the real world.

princessbelle

Post by princessbelle » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Last edited by princessbelle on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:11 am

princessbelle wrote:I have had my new tub for 5 days, so far no marks in the tub. I did turn down my humidity and have worked my way back up. If the marks reappear I will be sure to post.
That's good news, 13 nights use on my original AirSense 10 and two new tubs every single night I would get the discolouration. ResMed have now swapped the AirSense 10 out and the first night not a single mark has appeared on the tub.

One thing I noticed between the original AirSense 10 and the new replacement is on the original AirSense 10 I would start the machine and within 20 seconds the air would be extremely warm (like at full temperature), where as it takes probably 3-5 mins of slow increases of air warmth for the air to get to the same temperature on the replacement machine.

Here's hoping for more nights mark free