Black ring around face

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: Black ring around face

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:01 pm

gilmour wrote:2~~~~~both in the living room.
Air does move around the house quite freely.

gilmour

Post by gilmour » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:03 pm

Well I think you may be right. The sooty filter on the cpap was waxy to the touch. Also I checked our furnace filter which I just replaced a month ago is also black from the return air in our home. Thanks for the info.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:05 pm

gilmour wrote:2~~~~~both in the living room.
No they won't create that much soot unless they happened to be huge torches. You really need to the investigate this much more. Everything you are seeing on those filters you are breathing in during the day. Think about it.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:06 pm

gilmour wrote:Well I think you may be right. The sooty filter on the cpap was waxy to the touch. Also I checked our furnace filter which I just replaced a month ago is also black from the return air in our home. Thanks for the info.
No problem....glad I could help.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 pm

sooty filter
I'd worry about HVAC.

Or do you have an electrical motor running? Like maybe a central vac or a large freezer? It could be motor brushes wearing down - they put off a black soot-like dust. You would be able to see it on the motor casing or very nearby.

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:12 am

If you just want to keep the soot particles out of your mask/CPAP, make sure the ultra-fine filter is installed. That will def. catch it. Soot particles are usually quite large. I would imagine it won't be long before your CPAP is ruined for good if that crap keeps getting into it, and that is absolutely not covered by warranty.

But, I'm with everyone else, you need to definitively locate the source of this black soot since it is obviously fouling your air.

Do you have a fireplace/places? That can be a major sourse of soot even if its gas. Incomplete combustion of any type, candle, fireplace, etc... will generate soot like crazy.

If your filters look like that, I can't imagine what the crap getting into your lungs looks like, and it obviously is getting in to them since at least some of it is coming out and depositing around the perimeter of your mask.

Just think, your CPAP may have saved your life, not from OSA, but from whatever is destroying the air quality in your house, because I can't imagine breathing that kind of air would take very long before you'd end up with COPD or cancer.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Nasty black stuff could come out of a damaged printer cartridge.
If such an item is in your home, GET RID OF IT----- NOW,
The micro-particles are very bad for you!