Fractured sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cathyf

Re: Fractured sleep

Post by cathyf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:21 pm

JDS74 wrote:Since you are on Synthroid, your thyroid is likely not function very well anyway.
Actually, my thyroid functions "too well". I have Hashimoto's, an auto-immune disease, which means that my thyroid is dotted all over with fluid-filled pockets of dead thyroid tissue. I should consider myself lucky, in that my body's response to the thyroid destruction is to grow more thyroid. I take the synthroid to establish a baseline, so that then my own thyroid just needs to produce a little more to make all the little micro adjustments. The synthroid is to give me normal thyroid levels without looking like Jabba The Hut, and it has shrunk down to about twice the size it's supposed to be, rather than 3-4 times like it was 5 years ago. Taking replacement hormones never works as well as working glands, because glands have multiple layers of complex feedback mechanisms that fine-tune hormone levels. So as long as I have a thyroid that functions I'm going to hold on to it...

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Do you have any daytime symptoms that might correlate with night time awakenings if they happened at night?
Such as rapid heart rate, spikes in blood pressure, flushing, etc.

Do you have a pulse oximeter so you can look at your heart rate and compare it to your awakenings?
Have you asked your doctor if having an overnight BP study done? How about a VIO heart monitor?

Something is triggering your awakenings.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

tan

Post by tan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:10 pm

JDS74 wrote:Do you have any daytime symptoms that might correlate with night time awakenings if they happened at night?

Do you have a pulse oximeter so you can look at your heart rate and compare it to your awakenings?
Have you asked your doctor if having an overnight BP study done? How about a VIO heart monitor?

such as "silent reflux"

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Silent reflux -good suggestion.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:04 pm

JDS74 wrote:Do you have any daytime symptoms that might correlate with night time awakenings if they happened at night?

I have always had a fast resting pulse -- not irregular, just fast -- combined with a low-side-of-normal blood pressure. In the last couple of years my pulse has crept up from being 80s-90s to being 90s-00s, while my blood pressure has crept up to normal. So a year ago they put me on a low dose of beta blocker. (Tried a modern calcium channel blocker, but that just dropped my blood pressure without doing squat for my pulse. So I get old and cheap.)

Anyway... I was taking it in the morning and with dinner, and then last spring I had an incident where I forgot to take my evening dose. I woke up about 2am with a heart rate of 130. Not cool. This was about the time that they started figuring out that I have OSA, and I'm pretty sure that I had an event and that's what caused the tachycardia. During my ApneaLink, it showed my max pulse was 103 and min was 68, and during the sleep study it showed max 91 / min 71 during sleep and max 102 / min 85 while awake. (Those are consistent with each other since the ApneaLink has no idea when you are asleep.)

I do have hot flashes (menopause sucks...) during the day and they ARE associated with elevated (100-120bpm) heart rate. I have had the odd hot flash in the middle of the night, but those are WAY more dramatic than my usual waking up and not going back to sleep problems. I have occasional reflux, too, but there is nothing "silent" about that, either -- I wake up with acid in my mouth and need to take a couple of Tums to soothe my throat.

JDS74 -- I think you are on to something as to the heart rate. I was looking at oximeters on amazon, and the CMS50D+ can be had for $40 and according to Sleepyhead it is supported. Or I will ask if I can get one from the DME...

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:44 pm

cathyf wrote:I was looking at oximeters on amazon, and the CMS50D+ can be had for $40 and according to Sleepyhead it is supported. Or I will ask if I can get one from the DME...
it's also clunky and uncomfortable to keep on your finger at night and eats batteries (a set of alkalines every three uses, if you're lucky)

the E is rechargable, but clunky, the f and I models are wrist mounted and much more comfortable.

aliexpress.com has good deals on all three. (under 100 for the I model, just look through the listing)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.