Help with ResMan Data Card and Reader

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jilliansue

Help with ResMan Data Card and Reader

Post by jilliansue » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:07 pm

I have a ResMed S8 VPAP ST machine. I have the Rescan software and I have the ResMed card reader and the data card that came with my S8 machine. When I go into Rescan and try to download data, it tells me that no device is connected and to please connect a flow generator or card. Does anyone have any hints for this? In the past, I have used this setup successfully. Had to wipe my hard drive (a few times) and so lost it. And recently I have decided to set it up again, and this is the problem I am experiencing. Windows tells me the card reader is functioning as it should.

jilliansue

Re: Help with ResMan Data Card and Reader

Post by jilliansue » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:09 pm

He-he! ResMan!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:19 pm

You can edit the subject line to correct typos if you wish...just go back to the first post and choose the "Edit" option and then the Subject line will also be something you can edit.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Pugsy wrote::lol:
You can edit the subject line to correct typos if you wish...just go back to the first post and choose the "Edit" option and then the Subject line will also be something you can edit.
I didn't know that was possible. Well, it's funnier this way!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:55 pm

You know though....I didn't even catch the typo until you mentioned it. It's funny how our minds will see past typos when we are expecting so and so words and not pay that much attention to the spelling.
Unfortunately this often results in my own large number of typos...my brain sees one thing but my fingers type something else and what's scarey is that sometimes I go back and read what I typed and it makes no sense whatsoever though I am sure when I typed it that what I was thinking made perfect sense.

For those of you wondering why I don't come up with an idea to help Jillian...we have already exhausted my meager brain when it comes to ResScan not wanting to see the Smart card. I don't have anything new to offer and yes...she has tried multiple instals of the latest ResScan and paid particular attention to the last step where the driver software for the smart card drivers are installed.

I don't remember which Windows OS version she is using though...so Jillian you might add that detail as I am sure someone will ask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:58 pm

If you let windows update the drivers for the card reader, likely it will choose newer drivers which will not work. The correct drivers are included with the newer versions of ResScan. If you've let windows find and install drivers, you may have to uninstall the reader and then install the drivers manually (browse to the folder where they are located)

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:If you let windows update the drivers for the card reader, likely it will choose newer drivers which will not work. The correct drivers are included with the newer versions of ResScan. If you've let windows find and install drivers, you may have to uninstall the reader and then install the drivers manually (browse to the folder where they are located)
Thank you. I think I tried it both ways, but it should be worthwhile to do it again just in case I did not uninstall them properly.

I am running Windows 8.1 on my work computer, and Windows Vista on my old laptop at home. I got the same result both places.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:10 pm

This one might be a tough one. As Pugsy said, please provide as much information as possible about your computer setup, starting with the OS and focusing on what is different between your previous and current setup. Since you've had it working before, this might not help but, just in case: when I moved to Windows 7 (from XP) I let Windows install (and, subsequently, update) its driver for the smart card reader, but when I install ResScan I always let it install its own support for card readers (I forgot what it calls it). And, least likely, I always run ResScan first, let it sit for a while and then insert the card; it gets recognized several seconds later (as opposed to the immediacy with my new SD-card based S9). Otherwise it will give me the same error you're seeing. Sometimes it would get stuck and I'd have to restart ResScan and repeat the procedure for it to get recognized.

By the way, I'm using ResScan 4.3 and lately it started "hiccupping" - whenever I switch menus/dialogs/modes it would freeze (taking up 100% of a CPU core's cycles) for about 15-20 seconds. It must have happened after a Windows update because I don't remember it doing that when I updated my older version. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

McSleepy

Last edited by McSleepy on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:15 pm

You may find this post helpful, though it's not quite your particular circumstance. It does say how to tell if the correct drivers are installed. If you need to intall them, they're in the ResMed folder in Programs. Uninstall, and then Install with "have disc" and navigate to the location on your computer.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70575&p=652615&hili ... ee#p652797

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Thank you. Couldn't tell at first try if I had the right driver or not....but I will keep trying for sure.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:47 pm

With the reader plugged in, go to control panel/device manager/smartcard readers/ACR38 /driver (click to open each level) Is it 1.1.6.2 ? If you don't see smartcard readers> ACR38 and then 1.1.6.2 when "driver" is opened, it is incorrect.
If you don't see smartcard readers under device manager, the computer has not recognized the reader, you might try another usb port. If it does recognize the smartcard reader, ACR38, but the driver is type CCID, it is the wrong driver, "update driver" by 'browsing" to the location noted in the above post.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:51 pm

Sometimes, plugging into a different USB port made my Respironics smart card reader start working. There was also some sort of problems with "smartcard services" in the services listing in the control panel. (Foggy recollection warning, I may have some of the terms wrong.)

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:With the reader plugged in, go to control panel/device manager/smartcard readers/ACR38 /driver (click to open each level) Is it 1.1.6.2 ? If you don't see smartcard readers> ACR38 and then 1.1.6.2 when "driver" is opened, it is incorrect.
If you don't see smartcard readers under device manager, the computer has not recognized the reader, you might try another usb port. If it does recognize the smartcard reader, ACR38, but the driver is type CCID, it is the wrong driver, "update driver" by 'browsing" to the location noted in the above post.
I am successfully using the Microsoft Driver:

Here are some settings:

We'll need more details to be able to help.

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:41 pm

That's interesting McSleepy, the drivers that come with ResScan 5.1 are the ver 1.1.6.2 from Advanced Card Systems. I haven't had any luck with Microsoft drivers in the past, but then I haven't tried them in the last year or so.
j

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:07 pm

I've used the MS drivers ever since I moved from XP to Win7-64, which was in May 2011. Since then I've seen Windows Update offer new versions of the ACR reader driver multiple times and I've accepted it each time. In other words, ResScan (and I originally used 3.12) has always been able to work with the MS drivers (unlike on XP, where I could only get it to work with the drivers included in the installation). But, like I said, I also allow ResScan to run the installer of its driver package (I leave the option to install drivers checked), so I wonder if it is a matter of some specific settings (e.g., card type) that this installer might set. JS is providing very few details of what she has done and what the symptoms are to be able to tell what is preventing her from reading the card.
McSleepy