What's the best way to dry out hose using a 2nd machine??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tan

Re: What's the best way to dry out hose using a 2nd machine??

Post by tan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:21 am

LSAT wrote:
tan wrote:Hmm... mold could be a problem if there is humidity AND there is no air moving. why else is it then recommended to dry out the hose?

My tech recommended so. Instructions says to "air-dry"

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:56 am

tan wrote:
LSAT wrote:
tan wrote:Hmm... mold could be a problem if there is humidity AND there is no air moving. why else is it then recommended to dry out the hose?

IMO - cleaning often causes more problems than it resolves.
1. Everyone has different water but most peoples water "will" contain bacteria not yet introduced to the cpap. Yea who uses distilled?
2. Leaving a hose or other parts out to "air dry" exposes those parts to more bacteria & dust. Who has a house that does NOT contain both?
3. The bathroom is yet "the worst place" to air dry anything.
4. Masks cushions & parts are worn out prematurely or damaged from disassembly and handling when "cleaning".

So why does your supplier recommend cleaning these things?
A. They are worried about liability - lawsuits for not recommending.
B. When parts wear out early and/or are broken they win.
So they put fear in your routine.

Have fun.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:14 pm

tan wrote:
LSAT wrote:

Would this be some of the same people who adamantly tell the users you can't get/see YOUR data from YOUR machine?

Use some common sense. Do what YOU think is reasonable. You're exposed to worse stuff the other 16 hours a day when you're not connected to or breathing the filtered air from the CPAP machine.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

tan

Post by tan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Guest wrote:
tan wrote:
LSAT wrote:

IMO - cleaning often causes more problems than it resolves.
1. Everyone has different water but most peoples water "will" contain bacteria not yet introduced to the cpap. Yea who uses distilled?
Right, always thought of that. But... do you clean your mask on daily basis? If you do, then with what? Not distilled water certainly?

tan

Post by tan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:21 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Use some common sense. Do what YOU think is reasonable. You're exposed to worse stuff the other 16 hours a day when you're not connected to or breathing the filtered air from the CPAP machine.
I think you have a major disagreement here with palerider, and I tend to agree with him for I don't have a breathing disorder during those 16 hours, but I do during the night. Hence, extra care

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:35 pm

tan wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
I think you have a major disagreement here with palerider, and I tend to agree with him for I don't have a breathing disorder during those 16 hours, but I do during the night. Hence, extra care
I don't know about that but I think you've missed MY point (which I've repeated for many years and some others have picked up on) in that if you REALLY feel the need to clean your hose, do so in the evening before going to bed and that way you won't have to "dry" it and whatever moisture is remaining in it will be mixed with the humidity from the HH tank. Doing otherwise is wasting resources and time.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:42 pm

And even if you don't use humidity, the few drops in the hose will be dry very quickly just by Cpap air going thru it.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:58 pm

tan wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
So your logic is that bacteria will attack IF you have sleep disordered breathing but only when you are sleeping?

I give up. UNCLE

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:17 pm

I started cleaning my hose as instructed in a small tub of warm water with a little baby shampoo and tube brush. What a mess. Then I let it hang to air dry. I did have a second hose to use and it was a good thing because hanging to air dry didn't happen after a couple of days. I didn't want to use my expensive machine's blower to dry so I just used it. Den's idea to clean at night is a good one but I have also come to the conclusion that less cleaning is a better idea. I will change my filters, keep my humidifier clean, wipe my mask with baby wipes and wash occassionally. Other than that it is a closed system with filtered air and the tubing is no more of a risk than in the machine itself. That decreases my stress level from a ridged cleaning schedule and anything to decrease stress has to be healthy.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

tan

Post by tan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Guest wrote:
tan wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
So your logic is that bacteria will attack IF you have sleep disordered breathing but only when you are sleeping?

I give up. UNCLE
Obviously, being asleep makes you less capable to compensate for various obstructions caused by adversary environmental agents such dust, bacteria, mold, etc. Dr. Falcon said something like that a few years ago here: he never sufferred from allergies, yet claritin at bed time significantly improved his sleep. How do you explain that?

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Because those things are probably full of decongestant in some form to at least anticipate some relief whether or not the allergy is actually addressed.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:31 pm

tan wrote:
Guest wrote:
tan wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

I give up. UNCLE
Obviously, being asleep makes you less capable to compensate for various obstructions caused by adversary environmental agents such dust, bacteria, mold, etc. Dr. Falcon said something like that a few years ago here: he never sufferred from allergies, yet claritin at bed time significantly improved his sleep. How do you explain that?
In my opinion, that's a big fallacy.
The CPAP filters will keep all of that stuff out of the equipment to begin with. If anything does get into the water, it isn't going to get out. The water vapor molecules are too small to carry anything out of the tank.

http://www.fphcare.com/sleep-apnea/educ ... port/faqs/

Click on "Humidity" and then on "Can germs pass from the humidifier to me?"

Den

User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:02 pm

tan wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
I think you may have misinterpreted Den's point

I tihnk he's saying you're breathing worse stuff during the day than what's making it past the filters in into the cpap circuit, so spending a lot of time and effort cleaning that circuit (machine, hose) doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm all for filtering the air during the night, thanks to my allergies, but I, too, don't bother washing hoses or anything, just changing filters when they look like they need it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:10 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
tan wrote: Obviously, being asleep makes you less capable to compensate for various obstructions caused by adversary environmental agents such dust, bacteria, mold, etc.
well, personally I find it a lot harder to blow my nose in my sleep than when awake, and if filtering the air more helps cut down on the need to do that, (which of course entails waking up and removing the mask for a moment) then I'm all for it

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

tan

Post by tan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
tan wrote:
Guest wrote:
tan wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

I give up. UNCLE
The CPAP filters will keep all of that stuff out of the equipment to begin with. If anything does get into the water, it isn't going to get out. The water vapor molecules are too small to carry anything out of the tank.
It does not eliminate "stuff" completely but reduces significantly. Otherwise, why would palerider find an outlet filter helping his allergies? Other people have complained of various problems with their airways being on CPAP, have they not?
http://www.fphcare.com/sleep-apnea/educ ... port/faqs/

Click on "Humidity" and then on "Can germs pass from the humidifier to me?"

Den

All their re-assurances are negated by the last paragraph:
The important thing to remember is that all equipment (especially your mask) needs to be cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis, so that it does not become a desirable environment for bacteria to live and grow. Follow the cleaning instructions for all equipment to ensure proper hygiene and cleaning.
Fear of lawsuits? Worried about sales?

Can bacteria/germs/whatever else harmful be carried by mere air flow?