What's the best way to dry out hose using a 2nd machine??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JimP

What's the best way to dry out hose using a 2nd machine??

Post by JimP » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:58 am

I lucked up on a auto cpap machine that I'm using to dry out my air hose in the morning.

I've got it set to 20 but don't know how long to run it.

Any suggestions or duration or even better, what do you guys do to dry out the hose to prevent mold and other bad things from happening?

Julie

Re: What's the best way to dry out hose using a 2nd machine??

Post by Julie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:06 am

To me, that use of a machine (that could be saved as a backup, or loaned to someone needy) is a total waste. Hang the hose over the shower rod for a few hrs and don't fuss - it'll probably just get wet again anyhow if you use a humidifier. Plus the air in the hose comes through a filter and then into you, not the other way around, so washing it ever also seems to be a giant waste of time. Sorry, but that's how I see it... nothing personal.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:16 am

Julie wrote:To me, that use of a machine (that could be saved as a backup, or loaned to someone needy) is a total waste. Hang the hose over the shower rod for a few hrs and don't fuss - it'll probably just get wet again anyhow if you use a humidifier. Plus the air in the hose comes through a filter and then into you, not the other way around, so washing it ever also seems to be a giant waste of time. Sorry, but that's how I see it... nothing personal.
I have to agree....IF you insist on washing the hose just put it back on the machine and use it as is.
Esp. if you are using a humidifier - you are only wasting your time but hey it is your time.

JimP

Post by JimP » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:58 am

I'm not into wasting my time but given that it stays damp if not dried, does it not follow that at some point you will encounter mold....which you will then be breathing?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:16 am

ResMed machines will continue to blow at a very low level pressure for about 45 minutes or so after a person turns off the machine. Presumably this is to dry out the hose or whatever.
I would guess they came up with this time for a reason but have to way to verify nor do I really feel the need.
This is just for regular usage and not to dry out from a washing session where large amounts of water would be present in the hose.
I suppose you could use that guideline (45 min to an hour) and check to see if the hose appears to be dry but to be honest...mine is never "wet" to start with so I don't see how it is really needed but if it makes you feel better to do it then do it and check to see if it is dry.

Even if we all did this (which most of us don't) how long it takes is going to depend ambient room humidity and what humidity you used during the night and what pressures you used during the night...and all that variable stuff.

If it wasn't built in to my S9 machine I wouldn't do it. I could unplug the machine to stop it but that's more of a hassle than to just leave it alone and let it do its thing.
I never do it with the PR S1 machine and especially wouldn't do it if I had a heated hose on that PR S1 machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:24 am

JimP wrote:I lucked up on a auto cpap machine that I'm using to dry out my air hose in the morning.

Any suggestions or duration or even better, what do you guys do to dry out the hose to prevent mold and other bad things from happening?
Waste of time ...the hose will just get wet again at night. You will not get mold in a day. You get mold when something stays wet for a long time without air circulation. There is plenty air circulation in a normal home.

Last edited by LSAT on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:30 am

JimP wrote:I'm not into wasting my time but given that it stays damp if not dried, does it not follow that at some point you will encounter mold....which you will then be breathing?
Have you ever seen mold inside your hose?

Malibu

Post by Malibu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:39 am

I like drying mine out. Have an old brick machine set to 10cm. About 45 minutes while taking a shower. Mask and hose nice and dry ready for the evening. Personal choice of course. Doesn't take long for microscopic mold to start. Why take a chance if you have a spare machine for it???

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:54 am

JimP wrote:I lucked up on a auto cpap machine that I'm using to dry out my air hose in the morning.

fwiw, imho, the macihne will blow just as hard at 4 as at 20. though i haven't actually tested this... it's trying to achieve a back pressure against complete leak, so it's going to push as much air as it can until the pressure builds up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:17 am

I agree. I don't think there's much point to drying out the hose using an old cpap as a dryer. If you prefer dry, clean hoses and even masks every night, get two or more and set up alternate drying nights. You could even color code or number your hoses and masks.

Well... That last bit might be a little OCD... but you get the idea.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:31 am

Since I rarely use my humidifier I heard someone in this forum say they "twirl" the hose over your head to sling out excess water... then let it dry... Twirl it as a cowboy would when lassoing a calf. Of course it won't work if you don't yell "yee-hah" while you do it!

Sheriff

JimP

Post by JimP » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:19 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:Since I rarely use my humidifier I heard someone in this forum say they "twirl" the hose over your head to sling out excess water... then let it dry... Twirl it as a cowboy would when lassoing a calf. Of course it won't work if you don't yell "yee-hah" while you do it!

Sheriff
Sheriff,

My wife thinks I'm nuts anyway. If I started twirling the hose and yelling yee-hah, she'd have me locked up for sure.

But that was a funny visual.

JimP

Post by JimP » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:21 am

Malibu wrote:I like drying mine out. Have an old brick machine set to 10cm. About 45 minutes while taking a shower. Mask and hose nice and dry ready for the evening. Personal choice of course. Doesn't take long for microscopic mold to start. Why take a chance if you have a spare machine for it???
That's kind of how I see it.

Where's a microbiologist when you need one.

Now that the subject has been brought up, I bet there are some that are rethinking this.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:31 am

----Why not wash the hose right before bedtime, shake it out, and then any moisture in the hose is fresh, not moldy?
I always wonder about the automatic "dry down" cycle. If there is water in the humidifier, it at least starts out warm,
--and then is pretty much "passover" humidification. How is that drying anything?

JimP

Post by JimP » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:01 pm

On the respironics unit, you have a clear plastic elbow where the hose connects.

Since it's still damp hours after turning off the machine, I can only assume that there must be some dampness up in the hose.

That's what got me thinking that I'd rather dry it out than leave it damp.

Another option would be to put an empty water tank in place and turn the humidity control off. Seems like that would work too but I'd rather not have that info added to the data card as some weird event.