OSA, therapy and jail

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tatooed Lady

OSA, therapy and jail

Post by Tatooed Lady » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:19 am

So we know this guy who is in jail for a month or two (obviously not talking about myself in code this time), and he is in pretty poor health....morbidly obese, OSA, probably a slew of other problems...since he's on therapy at home, I'm wondering what "the man" does while in jail? Do they supply machines and have them sleep in an infirmary setting, do they just say "good luck breathing, let me know how it works for ya?" I can't imagine that someone would go and grab the guy's machine...The risk of loss or "oops" by another inmate would be too high I think...and states wouldn't want to be liable for replacement.

Anyone have and useful thoughts? All my brain comes up with this weekend is "flaming monkey noodles." Really not a useful answer to most things.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Julie

Re: OSA, therapy and jail

Post by Julie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 am

I think you might try and call the jail to find out their specific policies as I'm sure each one, or at least each district would have their own.

Rastaman

Post by Rastaman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:39 am

That's an excellent question since many of us live in the U.S., which has the largest prison population in the world, and the second-highest per-capita incarceration rate, behind Seychelles (which has a total prison population of 786 out of a population of 90,024). In 2012, it was 707 adults incarcerated per 100,000 population. So, it stands to reason than many of those, at least a percentage would have OSA. At the very least, there is going to be a certain percentage of those people with OSA.

I do know that the cost of keeping inmates for medical reasons is a reason they let certain people who are costing a lot out of jail quicker. I had a hernia surgery in February of this year that kept me in the hospital for 31 days and 6 more in Rehabilitation Hospital so I could learn to start walking again. Between that and subsequent visits my insurance was billed over $800,000. That's just for 2014. Personally, I don't think a jail or prison would want me. I'm far too expensive.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:35 am

Julie wrote:I think you might try and call the jail to find out their specific policies as I'm sure each one, or at least each district would have their own.
The only answer to this type of question.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:40 am

here's a couple threads...

viewtopic/t49317/CPAP-in-prison.html
viewtopic/t32353/CPAP-in-prison.html

there was another one a few months ago that I can't find now that had links to some official type pages on the subject.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:39 am

IIRC, one of the characters of Orange is the New Black was using an xpap while incarcerated

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:44 am

Refusing medical care to an inmate might be considered a tort.
Once the situation becomes public knowledge, lawyers would be crawling out from under the rockpile.

TyroneShoes

Post by TyroneShoes » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Agreed. If I am the lawyer for the guy who requested his XPAP machine and was denied, and then died in jail, I am already eyeing that new 32-ft boat. This is the textbook definition of "cruel and unusual" punishment.

If I am a warden, I would typically accede to such a demand just to remove the liability factor, if not simply on humanitarian grounds. To not do so is to be both stupid and sadistic.

Demerit

Post by Demerit » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Inmate needs to speak with medical personnel. Depending on why they are in there, inmate may have to turn pap into medical ever am or may be able to keep in cell. Also comes down to who (state insurance) or inmates personal insurance pays for supplies while imprisoned.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:47 pm

I would think is a person was mindful of their health, they wouldn't be doing anything to be put in jail for. I'd let them become a model citizen after they did their time, and sleep with my back of the wall, not a bad idea when in jail anyway!

A couple of month probably won't kill them, if so, they won't be commiting any more crimes. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Goofproof wrote:I would think is a person was mindful of their health, they wouldn't be doing anything to be put in jail for. I'd let them become a model citizen after they did their time, and sleep with my back of the wall, not a bad idea when in jail anyway!

A couple of month probably won't kill them, if so, they won't be commiting any more crimes. Jim
ya know, jimbob, you've posted a lot of really asinine stuff in the past, but this one just may take the cake.

I just hope that you get to enjoy the benefits of your own karma.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:36 pm

Let he who is without sin . . .

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:52 pm

palerider wrote:
Goofproof wrote:I would think is a person was mindful of their health, they wouldn't be doing anything to be put in jail for. I'd let them become a model citizen after they did their time, and sleep with my back of the wall, not a bad idea when in jail anyway!

ya know, jimbob, you've posted a lot of really asinine stuff in the past, but this one just may take the cake.

Did you just move from Calif to Texas, I'm sure you aren't native. Not many liberals in Texas. if you are against me, I'm happy! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Goofproof wrote:

Did you just move from Calif to Texas, I'm sure you aren't native. Not many liberals in Texas. if you are against me, I'm happy! Jim[/quote]

if being against you means not having a callous disregard for one's fellow man, then I'm happy to be that.

and if you're too stupid to realize that in today's day and time, you can hardly drive to the grocery store without risking getting arrested and sent to jail for something that you had no idea was a violation of some law, then you're.... rather naive.

also, surprisingly, not all texans are selfish, uncaring assholes.... so you might not find it as homey as you'd think.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Gee, and here I was thinking all the rioting was on CNN (or in MO), who knew?