Head colds and oximeter statistics/ Managing SpO2 performanc

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepy1235

Head colds and oximeter statistics/ Managing SpO2 performanc

Post by sleepy1235 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:12 pm

My inquiry is about head colds and oximeter statistics.

I see my median SpO2 has dropped to 93. I had been fairly consistent at 94. I have had a head cold.

I am interested in more definitive answers rather than speculations. The fact that I am congested might mean O2 transport to the blood would be less and it is to be expected. This is however a speculation on my part. Perhaps there is something else not quite right and someone with an oximeter might have already encountered it.

More specifically for those with oximeters what have you done when your median drops. (Or mean if that is how your CPAP reports statistics.)?

One thing is that I have switched to a heated airline. By the way I recommend it.

HoseCrusher

Re: Head colds and oximeter statistics/ Managing SpO2 performanc

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:31 pm

The body functions vary from day to day. I don't think a change of 1 point means much. The purpose of O2 monitoring is to get a ballpark idea of what is going on.

Keep a log of your progress. If you see a continuing trend in one direction or the other that may be something to look further at but if a 1 point change is within the normal variance of the daily data then it is just normal.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:35 pm

sleepy1235 wrote:My inquiry is about head colds and oximeter statistics.

I see my median SpO2 has dropped to 93. I had been fairly consistent at 94. I have had a head cold.

I am interested in more definitive answers rather than speculations
ocd much?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sleepy1235

Post by sleepy1235 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:14 pm

So Palerider, would you characterize your response here as cyberstalking or cyber bullying or both.

I thought this group had a moderator.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:19 pm

sleepy1235 wrote:So Palerider, would you characterize your response here as cyberstalking or cyber bullying or both.
You got a good answer. Do you understand it?
sleepy1235 wrote:I thought this group had a moderator.
Where did you get that idea?

You are in the wrong forum if you think a moderated forum is better.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:40 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
sleepy1235 wrote:So Palerider, would you characterize your response here as cyberstalking or cyber bullying or both.
You got a good answer. Do you understand it?
I'm thinking nope!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:42 pm

neither.

terse, to the point, and requiring some mental effort to understand....

Granny understood perfectly, but she's a sharp one.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:44 pm

palerider wrote:she's a sharp one.
I haven't been called that since the pigs ate my little brother Billy.

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Worrying about the absolute reading on you oximeter is pointless. Worrying about a one point change on a device that only claims a 3-5% absolute accuracy is beyond pointless. Your oximeter is great for showing trends. It is not so great for showing precise absolute measurements. There are dozens of things that can cause your readings to change.

And yes, any type of congestion can change you lung efficiency.

sleepy1235

Post by sleepy1235 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:50 pm

There is a difference between accuracy and precision.

Since this is a relative change the question isn't the accuracy, but the precision of the tool.

Merlin7

Post by Merlin7 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Where has the sense of humour gone? A little light hearted banter is good for the soul

sleepy1235

Post by sleepy1235 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:23 am

Posted a technical inquiry directed to those who have oximeters and instead got snide remarks from those who I doubt have oximeters or don't know what they are taking about.

Some people in this forum are looking for technical information.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:04 pm

sleepy1235 wrote:Posted a stupid inquiry directed to those who have oximeters and instead got snide remarks from those who I doubt have oximeters or don't know what they are taking about.
I've got three, had a fourth, but a friend accidentially dropped it into a glass of water and didn't tell me about it till it was too late and too much corrosion had happened.

normal usage varies more than one percentage point, hence the ridicule you received.

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:40 pm

. Since this is a relative change the question isn't the accuracy, but the precision of the tool.
The difference between accuracy and precision is very important when you are talking about quartz crystals or ultra low tempo resistors. The difference breaks down quickly when you are talking about a pulse oximeter that is trying to make a guess at you blood oxygen levels using different color LEDs.

You do not have any specifications on the precision of the oximeter, and you really cannot assume any. Relative changes can be due to drift in the instrument. That is especially true if you are comparing readings taken on two different nights.

I am not trying to be snide. I have one of these devices, and it gives me very different readings if I change fingers. I get different readings night to night on the same finger. Some of that change may be real, a lot of it is probably due to different outside factors like room temperature. For me, a one point reading is in the noise.
Last edited by cnaumann on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:00 pm

cnaumann wrote:
. Since this is a relative change the question isn't the accuracy, but the precision of the tool.
Relative changes can be due to drift in the instrument.
I am not trying to be snide. I have one of these devices, and it gives me very different readings if I change fingers. I get different readings night to night on the same figure. Some of that change may be real, a lot of it is probably due to different outside factors like room temperature. For me, a one point reading is in the noise.
well put.