"Vibratory Snore Event" Question?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: "Vibratory Snore Event" Question?

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Pugsy wrote:
palerider wrote:where the hell is she anyway.... some asshole here started accusing her of being racist for using the perfectly accurate and innocent term "niggardly" and I don't remember seeing her after that
According to RobySue's profile she hasn't been here since Sept 19 and I do think that was about the time of the verbal dispute about her terminology. Perhaps she was pushed over the edge.
I thought she was hanging out over on the other board. I don't go there because I simply don't have time.
If she hasn't posted anything over there in a while perhaps she is taking a break again from the forums and dealing with her own issues has had to take priority. I know she has done that in the past.
I wish she'd come back, I miss her

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:39 am

palerider wrote:
MyJanine wrote:Part of my question is based on my practice of thinking "She snores... She sleeps"
If we're looking at the events from the previous night, and trying to determine actual hours of sleep, the snore has seemed like the only way to guess sleeping hours. Not I'm not so sure if there's actually any way to know hours of sleep just by looking at graphs & data.
I just picked up a zeo on ebay... strap one of those on her and import it's data to sleepyhead
Palerider, which model of zeo can be imported into sleepyhead? I'm assuming it is just the bedside model with the SD card and not the mobile unit...?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:39 am

sleep_quest wrote:
palerider wrote:
MyJanine wrote:Part of my question is based on my practice of thinking "She snores... She sleeps"
If we're looking at the events from the previous night, and trying to determine actual hours of sleep, the snore has seemed like the only way to guess sleeping hours. Not I'm not so sure if there's actually any way to know hours of sleep just by looking at graphs & data.
I just picked up a zeo on ebay... strap one of those on her and import it's data to sleepyhead
Palerider, which model of zeo can be imported into sleepyhead? I'm assuming it is just the bedside model with the SD card and not the mobile unit...?
I've got the bedside unit with the sd card. I don't know about the other one.

Jay's the expert on zeo here, I got hints on stuff from him

mark's told me that he's going to work on fixing SH to direct import the zeo sd card into SH... no timeframe though.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:42 am

Pugsy wrote:I have a Pug dog and I was getting some really ugly looking snores in clusters. Was a bit of a mystery till I realized that when he sleeps with his little chin on my shoulder up by my neck and he snores...the machine picks up his snores. I never had them show up when he slept somewhere else on my bed.
That brings up a question that occurred to me the other night... I was lying in bed, awake, listening to my husband's snoring. Ok, let me rephrase that: listening to my husband's !@#$$*$*!!% snoring. He was lying facing me, really close. I finally gave up after about an hour of this, and shut off the cpap and sat up and cruised Facebook for and hour-and-three-quarters before trying to go back to sleep. When I look at the Sleepyhead graphs for that night, the hour right before I turned the machine off is full of snores and flow limitations. And the machine was raising the pressures in reaction. It did not look at all like the usual big fat flat nothings I see when I know I was awake.

Is it possible that the machine was detecting and reacting to HIS snoring? How close does he have to be to the mask before it starts picking him up? I'm pretty sure that my annoyed sighs weren't enough to be causing all of that action.

I tried an experiment a couple of weeks ago where I turned on the machine and sang the Star Spangled Banner, and then looked at the record in Sleepyhead. The machine interpreted the singing as snores and FLs, but pretty minor ones. It's an experiment that everyone should try to get a feeling for how the machine is interpreting those events that happened while you were awake and aware of what you were doing.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:05 pm

cathyf wrote:Is it possible that the machine was detecting and reacting to HIS snoring?
There is no microphone in use. Any sensing going on is more by vibrations and/or air flow.
Example..when my little pug dog sleeps next to my butt or legs ...he still snores but the machine doesn't pick them up.
I only would see the pug snores on the graphs when he was up on my shoulder next to my neck....and I could feel his snores as well as hear them.
Unless your husband was pretty much on top of you and the vibrations were going through you I really doubt that what you are seeing as snores would be from him.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:25 pm

cathyf wrote:Is it possible that the machine was detecting and reacting to HIS snoring? How close does he have to be to the mask before it starts picking him up? I'm pretty sure that my annoyed sighs weren't enough to be causing all of that action.
I asked similar questions awhile back:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100135&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

I found it was the rustling noise of my hose moving that was showing up on the snore graph when I compared it to the Sleepbot app results that were being recorded on my smartphone. Sleepbot didn't pick up anything except what sounded like me turning over in my sleep but Sleepyhead showed VS events. There were no actual snores...interesting stuff.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:33 pm

sleep_quest wrote:I found it was the rustling noise of my hose moving that was showing up on the snore graph when I compared it to the Sleepbot app results that were being recorded on my smartphone. Sleepbot didn't pick up anything except what sounded like me turning over in my sleep but Sleepyhead showed VS events. There were no actual snores...interesting stuff.
Oooo... That is interesting. I have the cpap on a small wooden table between the bed and nightstand, and the hose is pretty long. Sometimes when I roll over and pull the hose over with me, I can hear it run over the edge of the table like a zipper. Even the hose being pulled up over the edge of the mattress makes a noise.

I need to get Sleepbot!

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:40 pm

cathyf wrote:
sleep_quest wrote:I found it was the rustling noise of my hose moving that was showing up on the snore graph when I compared it to the Sleepbot app results that were being recorded on my smartphone. Sleepbot didn't pick up anything except what sounded like me turning over in my sleep but Sleepyhead showed VS events. There were no actual snores...interesting stuff.
Oooo... That is interesting. I have the cpap on a small wooden table between the bed and nightstand, and the hose is pretty long. Sometimes when I roll over and pull the hose over with me, I can hear it run over the edge of the table like a zipper. Even the hose being pulled up over the edge of the mattress makes a noise.

I need to get Sleepbot!
Yep, that would do it. The Sleepbot app is free and is easy to use. The only issue is having your phone 'on' all night but I just kept mine charging overnight and put the screen face down so I didn't see it glow.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:17 pm

cathyf wrote:.Ok, let me rephrase that: listening to my husband's !@#$$*$*!!% snoring.
I suggest slapping a machine on the snore machine... it worked for me!

alternatively, try sleeping in the spare room for a few nights and compare your data.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:03 pm

palerider wrote:
cathyf wrote:.Ok, let me rephrase that: listening to my husband's !@#$$*$*!!% snoring.
I've been tempted -- the only thing that's stopping me is that the only mask I own is a size small FFM, and ole fathead wears a size 7-7/8 hat and I'm sure needs an XL. And while I'm a mouth breather he never opens his mouth during sleep, even when he's making those struggling noises, so he is a shoe in for nasal pillows. If I solve the mask issue, he could very well end up waking up hooked up to my machine.

In an odd coincidence, one of our mutual friends just posted on her FB page that she had a sleep study on Monday and will be getting a cpap machine of some kind. She said, "When I did my sleep study, I didn't leave REM after I had the mask on - about 3 hours. It was wonderful, so I can't wait till I get a machine. I feel like a kid who tasted chocolate for the first time, I can't wait till I can taste it again." Slapping a mask on him while he's asleep just might work!

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:37 pm

cathyf wrote:
palerider wrote:
I've been tempted -- the only thing that's stopping me is that the only mask I own is a size small FFM, and ole fathead wears a size 7-7/8 hat and I'm sure needs an XL. And while I'm a mouth breather he never opens his mouth during sleep, even when he's making those struggling noises, so he is a shoe in for nasal pillows. If I solve the mask issue, he could very well end up waking up hooked up to my machine.
a resmed p10 *cough*amazon*cough* might be a great selection for this case