Can't breath in middle of the night on cpap when bloated.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dneves808

Can't breath in middle of the night on cpap when bloated.

Post by dneves808 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:50 am

I have had some problems with extreme and severe bloating lately and sometimes when I go to bed and wear my C PAP i wake up an hour later feeling like I can't breathe I am wondering if I am swallowing the air from the CPAP and if using the CPAP while being extremely bloated is dangerous seems like I'm screwed either way. Lol any thoughts would help? This only happens when I go to bed bloated....

Sheriff Buford

Re: Can't breath in middle of the night on cpap when bloated.

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:20 am

Please post your equipment in your profile. If you use a Resmed, you might try EPR.

Sheriff

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 am

dneves808 wrote:if using the CPAP while being extremely bloated is dangerous
No.

Uncomfortable yes, dangerous no.

dneves808

Post by dneves808 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:33 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
dneves808 wrote:if using the CPAP while being extremely bloated is dangerous
No.

Uncomfortable yes, dangerous no.
what do you suppose I wake up feeling like I can't breathe happens when I'm on my CPAP while I'm extremely bloated I use a Philips Respironics machine

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:39 pm

what do you suppose I wake up feeling like I can't breathe happens when I'm on my CPAP while I'm extremely bloated I use a Philips Respironics machine
You are swallowing air, the air is filling your stomach. Your full stomach is pushing on your diaphragm. The pressure on your diaphragm makes it feel like you can not breath.

dneves808

Post by dneves808 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:54 pm

cnaumann wrote:
You are swallowing air, the air is filling your stomach. Your full stomach is pushing on your diaphragm. The pressure on your diaphragm makes it feel like you can not breath.
what can you do to eliminate or reduce this sensation? My gastrointestinal doctor wants me to get an endoscopy and colonoscopy over the severe bloating and gas and I've had for almost a month now I do think it's because of my opiate use for pain and my valium for my panic attacks but I think it's time I get the procedures done even though I'm only 35 years old I really don't want to do it because I'm scared of the sedation and my sleep apnea having something bad happen like not being able to breathe and dying on the table. Lol

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:18 pm

I don't think you are going to find a simple solution.

Opiate use will definitely screw up your intestine and can lead to bloating and constipation. The CPAP can make things worse since it can cause you to swallow additional air. Reducing CPAP pressure could help with the air swallowing, but could also greatly reduce the effectiveness of you CPAP therapy. Reducing your opiate use could help with your gut (and possibly even your need for CPAP), but obviously has other drawbacks.

You are talking with your doctor, he may have other advice.

dneves808

Post by dneves808 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:31 pm

cnaumann wrote:I don't think you are going to find a simple solution.

Opiate use will definitely screw up your intestine and can lead to bloating and constipation. The CPAP can make things worse since it can cause you to swallow additional air. Reducing CPAP pressure could help with the air swallowing, but could also greatly reduce the effectiveness of you CPAP therapy. Reducing your opiate use could help with your gut (and possibly even your need for CPAP), but obviously has other drawbacks.

You are talking with your doctor, he may have other advice.
I'd happily quit the opiates to avoid the GI issues, do you think I should do the colonoscopy and upper GI endoscopy, I'm worried about the safety of those procedures.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:40 pm

So what's the EPR set to? (Exhale pressure relief) if it's off, try turning it on. See if you can bump the number higher if it's already on. The setting makes it easier to exhale by dropping pressure (resistance) as you exhale. This is where I would start before trying drastic measures.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:44 pm

dneves808 wrote:do you think I should do the colonoscopy and upper GI endoscopy, I'm worried about the safety of those procedures.
That has to be your choice but you know if you reduce/eliminate the opiates and the symptoms resolve then maybe those procedures won't be necessary.
But if they are needed...there really isn't any need to worry..I have had both procedures done since my OSA diagnosis and it really was a non issue. As part of the pre procedure process the OSA diagnosis the cpap use is discussed and it is so common place now that it really isn't big deal.
I was advised to bring my cpap machine to have in my room in case of need but with both times it wasn't an issue and not needed.
They monitor oxygen levels continuously and even though we think we are deeply asleep we really aren't. It's more of a twilight sleep and the reason we think we slept is because one of the meds they give has amnesia properties so we don't remember what went on.
I have had both the upper and lower scopes but at different times.
Even had surgery on a broken wrist with those meds and the doctor said I talked his leg off during the surgery. I was awake but I don't remember it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:46 pm

I'd happily quit the opiates to avoid the GI issues, do you think I should do the colonoscopy and upper GI endoscopy, I'm worried about the safety of those procedures.
No one here knows enough about your condition or is medically qualified to answer questions like that. Make sure your doctor knows about the opiate use and your need for CPAP, make sure your anesthesiologist knows about the opiate use and the CPAP. Discuss reducing your opiate use with your doctor. Get second medical opinion if you can. Complications for those procedures are rare. Your anesthesiologist will be monitoring every breath you take once they start to put you under, and is trained to know what to do if there are complications.

dneves808

Post by dneves808 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:09 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:So what's the EPR set to? (Exhale pressure relief) if it's off, try turning it on. See if you can bump the number higher if it's already on. The setting makes it easier to exhale by dropping pressure (resistance) as you exhale. This is where I would start before trying drastic measures.
thank you

dneves808

Post by dneves808 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Pugsy wrote:
dneves808 wrote:do you think I should do the colonoscopy and upper GI endoscopy, I'm worried about the safety of those procedures.
That has to be your choice but you know if you reduce/eliminate the opiates and the symptoms resolve then maybe those procedures won't be necessary.
But if they are needed...there really isn't any need to worry..I have had both procedures done since my OSA diagnosis and it really was a non issue. As part of the pre procedure process the OSA diagnosis the cpap use is discussed and it is so common place now that it really isn't big deal.
I was advised to bring my cpap machine to have in my room in case of need but with both times it wasn't an issue and not needed.
They monitor oxygen levels continuously and even though we think we are deeply asleep we really aren't. It's more of a twilight sleep and the reason we think we slept is because one of the meds they give has amnesia properties so we don't remember what went on.
I have had both the upper and lower scopes but at different times.
Even had surgery on a broken wrist with those meds and the doctor said I talked his leg off during the surgery. I was awake but I don't remember it.
nice thank you for giving me the advice

dneves808

Post by dneves808 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:11 pm

cnaumann wrote:
No one here knows enough about your condition or is medically qualified to answer questions like that. Make sure your doctor knows about the opiate use and your need for CPAP, make sure your anesthesiologist knows about the opiate use and the CPAP. Discuss reducing your opiate use with your doctor. Get second medical opinion if you can. Complications for those procedures are rare. Your anesthesiologist will be monitoring every breath you take once they start to put you under, and is trained to know what to do if there are complications.
thank you

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:09 pm

dneves808 wrote:I have had some problems with extreme and severe bloating lately and sometimes when I go to bed and wear my C PAP i wake up an hour later feeling like I can't breathe I am wondering if I am swallowing the air from the CPAP and if using the CPAP while being extremely bloated is dangerous seems like I'm screwed either way. Lol any thoughts would help? This only happens when I go to bed bloated....

We might be able to give you much more help if you would tell us the following,

- Machine type and model number (plate on bottom)
- Mask model
- Any data on your machine display? AHI? Leak icon?
- Machine settings? Pressure? Other?