Whooshing Noise in Full Face Masks When Jaw Drops?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepySunflower

Whooshing Noise in Full Face Masks When Jaw Drops?

Post by SleepySunflower » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:29 pm

I've been using a ComfortGel nasal mask for years and have been alternating during the last year with a TAPPAP nasal mask, which I like even better than the ComfortGel. Unfortunately, my jaw has started to drop open during the night, causing a very loud whooshing noise that wakes up my husband. I've been using 3M Micropore tape to keep my lips shut, but I'd like to find a different solution. I've tried chin straps, but they aren't reliable.

When using full face masks, if your jaw drops and your mouth opens, does the loud whooshing noise still occur? For anyone using hybrid full face masks, does the whooshing noise occur?

I should also note that I move around quite a bit in my sleep. I'm concerned that this may cause leaks with a full face mask. Any advice on choosing a full face mask? I'm considering the InnoMed Hybrid since I like the TAPPAP nasal mask so much.

tan

Re: Whooshing Noise in Full Face Masks When Jaw Drops?

Post by tan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:46 pm

SleepySunflower wrote:I've been using a ComfortGel nasal mask for years and have been alternating during the last year with a TAPPAP nasal mask, which I like even better than the ComfortGel. Unfortunately, my jaw has started to drop open during the night, causing a very loud whooshing noise that wakes up my husband. I've been using 3M Micropore tape to keep my lips shut, but I'd like to find a different solution. I've tried chin straps, but they aren't reliable.
How about a chin-strap and a mouthpiece? The former holds your jaw up and the latter keeps your jaw forward

SleepySunflower

Post by SleepySunflower » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi Tan, I wear a dental mouthguard on my lower teeth for teeth grinding and the TAPPAP has a mouthpiece that goes on my upper teeth. When I use my ComfortGel nasal mask, I wear just the dental mouthguard on the lower teeth. I tried a couple different chin straps along with the mouthpieces and had limited success. The neoprene chin straps seemed to slide off of my head during the night unless I made them extract tight, then they stretched out quickly. It was annoying so I switched to using the first aid tape on my mouth.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Try a soft cervical collar. The whoosh is a leak as your jaw moves downward. If the mask fits without leaks early in the evening, then it should fit all night long.

The cervical collar supports the jaw preventing movement down which can displace the FFM and cause leaks.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

tan

Post by tan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:10 pm

SleepySunflower wrote:Hi Tan, I wear a dental mouthguard on my lower teeth for teeth grinding and the TAPPAP has a mouthpiece that goes on my upper teeth. When I use my ComfortGel nasal mask, I wear just the dental mouthguard on the lower teeth. I tried a couple different chin straps along with the mouthpieces and had limited success. The neoprene chin straps seemed to slide off of my head during the night unless I made them extract tight, then they stretched out quickly. It was annoying so I switched to using the first aid tape on my mouth.
Then, as JDS74 suggested, a cervical collar could do. For me it is a combination, of a mouth-piece and a collar.

SleepySunflower

Post by SleepySunflower » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:07 pm

JDS74 wrote:Try a soft cervical collar. The whoosh is a leak as your jaw moves downward. If the mask fits without leaks early in the evening, then it should fit all night long.

The cervical collar supports the jaw preventing movement down which can displace the FFM and cause leaks.
Hi JDS74 and Tan, I'll give it a try! Thanks for the advice. I don't see any cervical collars on cpap.com. Can you recommend any particular cervical collars? I see several on Amazon.com.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:07 pm

I get mine from Amazon as well.

Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.

SleepySunflower

Post by SleepySunflower » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 pm

JDS74 wrote:I get mine from Amazon as well.
JDS74, can you tell me please which one, in particular, works for you (manufacturer/model)? How do you find the right size?

SleepySunflower

Post by SleepySunflower » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:36 pm

I found a video that shows how to measure for the cervical collar size at: http://www.coreproducts.com/universal-foam-collar.html

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:17 pm

I like that video. Plain soft is workable for me. I don't think the extra stiff support might be uncomfortable.

To get the job done, just a little support is required. After all, you are only trying to stop gravitational pull and the jaw doesn't weigh very much.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:18 pm

The nice thing about a cervical collar is that you can use it with any mask.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:26 pm

SleepySunflower wrote:
JDS74, can you tell me please which one, in particular, works for you (manufacturer/model)? How do you find the right size?
This is the one I purchased.
Duro-Med Soft Foam Cervical Collar 2-1/2 Width, White, X-Large

I guessed about the size. Remember when you are lying down, your head is tilted forward somewhat and the usual measurement will be too big.

SleepySunflower

Post by SleepySunflower » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 am

JDS74 wrote:
SleepySunflower wrote:
This is the one I purchased.
Duro-Med Soft Foam Cervical Collar 2-1/2 Width, White, X-Large

I guessed about the size. Remember when you are lying down, your head is tilted forward somewhat and the usual measurement will be too big.
JDS74, thanks for the information! I'm looking forward to trying out a cervical collar. I think it'll be nicer than having additional straps around my head for the chin straps.

I'm still wondering if anyone that uses a full face mask can tell me if there is a whooshing noise when your mouth drops open?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 am

SleepySunflower wrote:I've been using a ComfortGel nasal mask for years and have been alternating during the last year with a TAPPAP nasal mask, which I like even better than the ComfortGel. Unfortunately, my jaw has started to drop open during the night, causing a very loud whooshing noise that wakes up my husband. I've been using 3M Micropore tape to keep my lips shut, but I'd like to find a different solution. I've tried chin straps, but they aren't reliable.

When using full face masks, if your jaw drops and your mouth opens, does the loud whooshing noise still occur? For anyone using hybrid full face masks, does the whooshing noise occur?

I should also note that I move around quite a bit in my sleep. I'm concerned that this may cause leaks with a full face mask. Any advice on choosing a full face mask? I'm considering the InnoMed Hybrid since I like the TAPPAP nasal mask so much.
Since no one answered your question...the answer is NO. There will be no whooshing sound.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:47 am

SleepySunflower wrote: which one, in particular, works for you (manufacturer/model)
http://www.amazon.com/Carex-Health-Bran ... cal+collar

The Carex is simple and cheap. Have used them for years. I get them for about $8 at a local drugstore than carries medical supplies.