The resmed airfit F10 full face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RipSnorter

Re: The resmed airfit F10 full face mask

Post by RipSnorter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi there,

For the last week I have been using the F10 FFM. Previously I was using the Quattro Pro which was a good mask. The F10 mask appears to be exactly the same as the quattro pro. The only real difference between the two is that the F10 doesn't have the brace going up the nose and between the eyes - which can encourage a bit of cross eyed behaviour when you have your eyes open.

The F10 as two smaller braces going across each check, which removes the cross eyed effect completely which is nice. I'm not finding the side braces inconvenient in any way. I am a side sleeper with just a normal foam pillow.

SO in summary - yep - it's a good mask IMHO.

Machine: Resmed S10 Airsense Autosense
Mask: Resmed F10 Full Face CPAP Mask
AHI Details : 76 before treatment/Under 2 with Treatment

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:08 pm

How does the f10 compare to the quatro fx

JimP

Post by JimP » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:29 pm

I gave it a try for 3 weeks and just had too much trouble trying to stop the air leaks.

It didn't really mold to my face very well. Guess I have a non conforming face.

In doing a comparison between the F10 and the Amara, you can see where in the medium size for both, the F10 is a little smaller than the Amara. You can go to cpap.com and get the sizing guides for both and compare them.

Johnnyb01

Post by Johnnyb01 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:34 pm

I have had the Airfit F10 for a few weeks now, and the only issue I have with it is when I cough in my sleep my mouth opens enough that the bottom of the mask tends to want to slip into my mouth. To be fair I feel like this would be an issue with any FFM. I came from a week of the Mirage Quattro, which would not seal around my nose without pressing in so hard it caused skin irritation and an open sore on the bridge of my nose, I also had issues with the forehead piece putting too much pressure on my right sinus cavity.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:How does the f10 compare to the quatro fx
I think the QFX is a little wider both at the nose and cheeks. For some reason, and I scratch my head on this all the time, I don't have any issues with the QFX, but with the F10 I have dry mouth every night.

The headgear is much better on the f10, as is the mask cushion. I think the f10 cushion will last longer than the QFX, however, I can boil the QFX cushion, but not the f10 cushion. I haven't worn out my f10 cushion yet to make a direct comparison though.

Both are excellent masks.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:59 am

M'ohms wrote:
Greg Riddle wrote:How does the f10 compare to the quatro fx
I think the QFX is a little wider both at the nose and cheeks. For some reason, and I scratch my head on this all the time, I don't have any issues with the QFX, but with the F10 I have dry mouth every night.

The headgear is much better on the f10, as is the mask cushion. I think the f10 cushion will last longer than the QFX, however, I can boil the QFX cushion, but not the f10 cushion. I haven't worn out my f10 cushion yet to make a direct comparison though.

Both are excellent masks.
I'm trying to find a mask between the need and large quatro fx. A large f10 may be in that range. I use a medium fx now but I have to cut the seal to make it work. The large leaks into my eyes

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:21 am

I think the f10 will be a good size then. I wear the large in both masks and the f10 is slightly narrower. I think the length is about the same, though.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:41 am

That's good because the length on the large fx is ok I think it's too large on the width around my nose. Maybe I'll find out tonight during a sleep test

snostorm

Post by snostorm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:22 pm

I have used the F 10 FFM and it didnt work well for me. Way too many leaks. I have had better success with the Fisher and Paykel Simplus FFM.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:05 pm

I have been using the F10 for the last 60 days. Its the only mask I was fitted for and I like it very much. Someone on this site suggested that this mask shouldn't be overtightened and should feel as if it floats on the face (he called it a "zen" thing ).

I did overtighten it at first and got the leaks controlled. But I was waking up with red marks on my nose and strap marks all over my face. Then I started playing with the settings and also started using DIY mask liners cut from a cotton tshirt.

I am happy to report that I have achieved the "zen" settings. This is what I do:
1) I put the mask on a bit loose while standing in front of a mirror.
2) I jut out my lower jaw. Then tighten the lower loops just enough to take the play out of the straps.
3) Then with my lower jaw out, I take out the play in the top straps.
4) Then I lie down and attach the elbow to the mask.
5) In lying down position, I again take out the play from lower straps and then top straps.
6) I start the motor.
7) When the pressure hits, I pull the mask just a bit off the face to let the outer silicon inflate and create a air cushion.

After that, its great all thru the night. My sleepyhead leaks are less than 6L/min all night. My pressures go upto 13.5cm so it works great. I am not sure how it will be in 15+ pressure territory.

tortoisegirl

Post by tortoisegirl » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:43 pm

I've used the Quattro FX and Airfit F10. I really really wanted to like the F10, because it has some obvious improvements from the QFX, but I wasn't able to. I liked how lightweight it was and the cushion design (didn't get as much face oil build up, so I suspect it would last longer, and there is no risk of the cushion falling out of the frame during the night).

The headgear did not fit me well at all...it gaped at the sides and is a bit uncomfortable when lying down (thick), although the material is quite nice. Its possible however it was a tad too small (I got the women's version and had the top straps loosened all the way). I didn't like the attachment loops as they were a bit more difficult to unloop than a clip is to unclip. Although the cushion had less face oil build up, it seemed to slip around vertically on my face much more. However, my biggest issue was irritation at the bridge of my nose that couldn't be alleviated with the same methods I used with the QFX. It was suggested to try to trim a tiny bit of the material to relieve some of the pressure, but I didn't get around to it.

Besides at the bridge of my nose, it was significantly more comfortable than the F10 though. With the QFX I always have to adjust it at the sides of my mouth (pull the sides out once the mask inflates). I had intended to swap back and forth a bit, but I've only been using the QFX, as the F10 was too much of a hassle with having to put Lanolin & tape on my nose every night. I was quite surprised I didn't like it as the reviews are quite good. My DME said that is pretty much the only FFM they fit new patients with now. Best wishes.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:53 am

snostorm wrote:I have used the F 10 FFM and it didnt work well for me. Way too many leaks. I have had better success with the Fisher and Paykel Simplus FFM.
When I wanted to try a new mask, I was considering either the f10 or the Simplus. I set an appointment with my DME and he said that the Simplus is better for people with flatter nose bridges and that it would not be a good mask for me. That news was fine with me since I have been using the QFX for over a year and am spoiled by not having a forehead support. I went with the large f10 instead of the medium so that I could have more "wiggle room" under the mask without creating leaks. This strategy has served me well with the QFX and has been the right choice with the f10. Good luck!

snostorm

Post by snostorm » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:39 am

The F10 is pretty popular and I think I might be in the minority of folks who havent had a good experience with it. Im a pretty big guy but they size me as small. With the F-10 at times my mouth would open and fall out of the bottom of the mask. They sized me as small for the Simplus but she gave me a medium. So far it has worked very well. I just slept 9 hours which I havent done in a decade.... I dreamed I was playing golf....lol

JimP

Post by JimP » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:05 am

snostorm wrote:The F10 is pretty popular and I think I might be in the minority of folks who havent had a good experience with it. Im a pretty big guy but they size me as small. With the F-10 at times my mouth would open and fall out of the bottom of the mask. They sized me as small for the Simplus but she gave me a medium. So far it has worked very well. I just slept 9 hours which I havent done in a decade.... I dreamed I was playing golf....lol
Here's the sizing guide. Be sure that it prints accurately by compring the ruler on the edge.

https://5faacd0c97cf0d23c6dc-064f3cd61b ... -guide.pdf

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:17 am

JimP wrote:
snostorm wrote:The F10 is pretty popular and I think I might be in the minority of folks who havent had a good experience with it. Im a pretty big guy but they size me as small. With the F-10 at times my mouth would open and fall out of the bottom of the mask. They sized me as small for the Simplus but she gave me a medium. So far it has worked very well. I just slept 9 hours which I havent done in a decade.... I dreamed I was playing golf....lol
Here's the sizing guide. Be sure that it prints accurately by compring the ruler on the edge.

https://5faacd0c97cf0d23c6dc-064f3cd61b ... -guide.pdf
Thanks