Help with CPAP settings

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Help with CPAP settings

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:28 pm

Still missing the AHI bar graph and statistics on the left side.
Image should look similar to this.

Also if you copy/past the img address into the body of your post here you can get the image to show up without having to use a link.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:33 pm

If most of your reports look like that one...it looks like maybe just a little more pressure would clean things up a little better. While the AHI isn't horrible there are indications of perhaps less than optimal sleep...the RERAs, a few snores and some clustering of the apnea and hyponea events.
The CAs we ignore for now. They may also be related to arousals from the apnea events.
If it were me I would try 0.5 cm more pressure and see what happens...that might be enough to clean things up more and if not I suspect 1 cm more will do the trick.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kahuna15146

Post by kahuna15146 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:06 am

So, a quick update.

Tuesday - Last night (4 nights) I have kept a control in my CPAP settings. I have used the CFLEX +3 Pressure = 10. I have had the various AHI readings

11/18 - 5.56
11/19 - 4.98
11/20 - 3.71
11/21 - 5.07

I have now had 13 days of CPAP usage and am very discouraged. These numbers honestly have no pattern or relation to how I feel. 12/13 days I've used been on CPAP therapy I have felt just as bad as I normally do without CPAP therapy. 1/13 days I felt great. That 1 day I felt great I had an AHI = 6.1. So, the days I've had AHI < 5 have had 0 correlation to feeling like I got a refreshing nights sleep. When I wake up in the morning and see my AHI < 5 I am excited, then realize I have 0 difference in how I feel (feel just as bad as I always do. No energy, headaches, fogginess, apathetic). There is also no connection on those 4 control nights as to the disruptions in my sleep. One night I have a large amount of CA's, then Hypops, RERAs, Obstructions and etc. I can honestly see why people would just stop their CPAP therapy, because if I am going to get poor sleep I may as well do it comfortably with no mask on my face.

Nick

kahuna15146

Post by kahuna15146 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:46 am

Pugsy,

Here is last nights information presented like you requested (settings the same for a 4 day span):

Nick

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:01 pm

Your pressure of 10 is sub optimal.
Letting too many OAs and hyponeas slip by...along with the RERAs and if you were in apap mode instead of cpap mode there would likely also be some Flow limitations also being flagged.
In cpap mode the Flow limitation flagging is turned off.

Your reports point to sub optimal OSA therapy and probably crappy sleep quality.
Will optimizing the therapy make you feel a lot better? I don't know because not all crappy feeling is related to OSA but for sure we couldn't expect to feel so great with reports that look like these.

Are you waking often during the night or sleeping straight through with solid hours of sleep?

kahuna15146

Post by kahuna15146 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:32 am

Pugsy,

I took your recommendation and increased my pressure by .5 to 10.5. I've done this for 3 days in a row. While my sleep data doesn't differ all that much from the 4 night run with the pressure set to 10, I do feel physically and mentally better than I did during the 4 nights of 10. I will continue on this route by increasing my pressure by .5 and leave it for a 3 night run. I will post some sleep data when I am done.

Thanks

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:45 am

Good job. Feeling better is the name of the game more so than good math scores.
I wouldn't expect 0.5 cm change to make a huge difference in that math score but I think that going up slowly allows for easier adjustment for one thing because sometimes that increase in pressure makes for trouble sleeping which we don't want and sometimes we get lucky and don't need as much pressure to get the job done as we might think.