Upper/mid back pain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Radarman

Upper/mid back pain

Post by Radarman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:56 am

I have been using the Cpap for over a month now, every night, I'm a middle aged man, just turned 40. I use to sleep solid, I had to sleep on my side, but I would wake up refreshed and ready for the day. Now I wake up feeling like I aged 20 years, with a lot of upper back pain. Every night it gets a little worse. I told my Sleep Dr. and he doesn't seem to think anything of it. My ribs feel fine, the pressure is fine, I don't fight it at all, heck I don't even use the ramp function, I just let the machine go straight to 12. I use the full face mask. but I have to keep it tight so it doesn't leak. I tried the nose only and I would wake up from my jaw hurting so I switched to the full face...I still sleep in the same position I did before before I cpap-ed.... I'll be honest this back pain has me starting to rethink the whole thing. I have never gotten a good night sleep from the machine. when I use to average 5-6 good nights a week before. I dont breath through my mouth much anymore (that's good I guess) but this pain, it feel like a constant aching in my upper/mid back. All of this got me thinking about pressure points. Is there any known problems associated with head gear restricting blood flow to and from the brain? Anyone else have this problem? I dont think much about the straps...as I served our country for 10 years, and spent many nights sleeping in MOPP 4 conditions (full gas masks). Is there a trick to make this back pain go away? between the pain and the leaks, I end up waking up many time through out the night, tossing from side to side. Any advise.

Radarman

Re: Upper/mid back pain

Post by Radarman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:58 am

Oh and it's causing my vision to be blurrier than normal.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:59 am

It's likely your chest and back muscles are being stretched by Cpap air in ways they never were before - it's common and should go away in time. And the eye thing can be solved with 'fake' tears you can get at the pharmacy or with a type of eye mask you can wear under your Cpap mask.

Radarman

Post by Radarman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 am

Julie wrote:It's likely your chest and back muscles are being stretched by Cpap air in ways they never were before - it's common and should go away in time. And the eye thing can be solved with 'fake' tears you can get at the pharmacy or with a type of eye mask you can wear under your Cpap mask.
How long is typical? I mean I have been using the machine religiously for over a month now... and it seems to only get worse.... scratching my head.

Franky

Post by Franky » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:22 am

I did the full face mask awhile...had to pull the lower strap alittle tighter to get it to seal up right....within a few days I had burning pains between shoulder blades and sometimes running down arm. Went to a nasal and has improved. Sounds strange a small flexable strap a little lower on the neck (full face mask) than the other(nasal) could cause it...but I'm convinced it did for me.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:32 am

When I started cpap therapy, my body ached at first. It is because you are sleeping better and sleeping in one position a lot longer. At the time, I was concerned about my mattress. I bought a Temper-Pedic mattress. It's one of the greatest investments I've made. The claims that it is the best mattress in America are true. Your aches may be an indication that the therapy is working. It should go away shortly. By the way... you may need to re-adjust your mental time table. A month ain't nuthin'

Sheriff

Guest1

Post by Guest1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:54 pm

I second the "sheriff".

I started xPAP 55 days ago. My treated AHI is 0.0 - 1.5 in the last 30 days. Diagnosed AHI was 75. Initially on xPAP, I had a bad mid-back pain when I woke up. I used an app called sleepbot on my iphone and it showed that I hardly moved at all, all night. This will make your muscles in the back work harder and will fatigue.

This pain subsided pretty soon after waking up and moving about. Also, this pain had lessened since I started. This may be due to these muscles getting more acclimatized to the new sleep environment. FWIW, I have a foam mattress and a 3 inch memory foam mattress topper. So this helps as well. YMMV.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Is it your back or your diaphragm? The pain caused by either can be similar. I had terrible pain in my diaphragm for the first couple months. I turned off c-flex and it went away. Are you using a machine with C-Flex?

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

Radarman

Post by Radarman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:53 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:When I started cpap therapy, my body ached at first. It is because you are sleeping better and sleeping in one position a lot longer. At the time, I was concerned about my mattress. I bought a Temper-Pedic mattress. It's one of the greatest investments I've made. The claims that it is the best mattress in America are true. Your aches may be an indication that the therapy is working. It should go away shortly. By the way... you may need to re-adjust your mental time table. A month ain't nuthin'

Sheriff
Yeah, I have no doubt that it is working, I just hope the pain goes away. As of right now every morning it gets worse, just like this morning I could barely move...I don't know how much longer I can stand it, I never give up so I will soldier through.... but I'm hoping it something that goes away in months and not years. I have broken many bones in my days, legs, arms, shoulders, ribs... and this pain is getting up there on the "scale of pain". I have a sweet bed... with a nice pillow tops, it has allowed me to sleep like a baby even when they said I wasn't "sleeping good," hmm that is something I'll have to talk to the wife about.... I believe in nice beds!
Last edited by Radarman on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radarman

Post by Radarman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:56 am

Guest1 wrote:I second the "sheriff".

I started xPAP 55 days ago. My treated AHI is 0.0 - 1.5 in the last 30 days. Diagnosed AHI was 75. Initially on xPAP, I had a bad mid-back pain when I woke up. I used an app called sleepbot on my iphone and it showed that I hardly moved at all, all night. This will make your muscles in the back work harder and will fatigue.

This pain subsided pretty soon after waking up and moving about. Also, this pain had lessened since I started. This may be due to these muscles getting more acclimatized to the new sleep environment. FWIW, I have a foam mattress and a 3 inch memory foam mattress topper. So this helps as well. YMMV.

yeah since week one my AHI went from 73 to 0.5-1.2 so I know that part is working, but I do toss and turn all night, and fix leaks all night. How does that app work? I'll have to check it out. And I will have to look into that memory foam idea.... but damn I love my bed... it's so nice... with a thick pillow top....

Radarman

Post by Radarman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:59 am

DreamDiver wrote:Is it your back or your diaphragm? The pain caused by either can be similar. I had terrible pain in my diaphragm for the first couple months. I turned off c-flex and it went away. Are you using a machine with C-Flex?
I would assume back... because it's in my upper and mid back (places I have never had this type of pain before). I'll have to check on the type it's a brand new Phillips... but not exactly sure on which model... I'll have to check on that c-flex thing.

Radarman

Post by Radarman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:02 am

Franky wrote:I did the full face mask awhile...had to pull the lower strap alittle tighter to get it to seal up right....within a few days I had burning pains between shoulder blades and sometimes running down arm. Went to a nasal and has improved. Sounds strange a small flexable strap a little lower on the neck (full face mask) than the other(nasal) could cause it...but I'm convinced it did for me.
Yeah I was sorta wondering about that too, because I know you have those pressure points right there at the back of your neck.... I tried the nasal make for the first week, I woke up with a sore jaw, from fighting against the pressure to keep my mouth shut... I still have the nasal mask... any recommendations on ways to keep your jaw shut with out fighting it?

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:35 am

Radarman wrote:... I'll have to check on the type it's a brand new Phillips... but not exactly sure on which model... I'll have to check on that c-flex thing.
If it's Phillips Respironics like this, it's easy to disable C-Flex. C-Flex is meant to make exhaling easier, but it doesn't work the same on all people. C-Flex setting is available from the patient menu and doesn't affect prescribed therapy settings. Good luck.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

Radarman

Post by Radarman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:59 am

DreamDiver wrote:
Radarman wrote:... I'll have to check on the type it's a brand new Phillips... but not exactly sure on which model... I'll have to check on that c-flex thing.
If it's Phillips Respironics like this, it's easy to disable C-Flex. C-Flex is meant to make exhaling easier, but it doesn't work the same on all people. C-Flex setting is available from the patient menu and doesn't affect prescribed therapy settings. Good luck.
Yeah that looks just like it.... I will have to check that out. thanks

Franky

Post by Franky » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:37 pm

Radarman wrote:
Franky wrote:I did the full face mask awhile...had to pull the lower strap alittle tighter to get it to seal up right....within a few days I had burning pains between shoulder blades and sometimes running down arm. Went to a nasal and has improved. Sounds strange a small flexable strap a little lower on the neck (full face mask) than the other(nasal) could cause it...but I'm convinced it did for me.
Yeah I was sorta wondering about that too, because I know you have those pressure points right there at the back of your neck.... I tried the nasal make for the first week, I woke up with a sore jaw, from fighting against the pressure to keep my mouth shut... I still have the nasal mask... any recommendations on ways to keep your jaw shut with out fighting it?
Heck I just use a chin strap to keep jaw shut during sleep now. As I understand it alot of people don't need one at all...but I do. Google cpap chin strap and you'll get a rainbow of options. Some actually tape there mouth shut...seriously. Denture adhesives are used as well. All kinds of tricks people use. Gotta find whats right for you.