Glycerin for a chaffed nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RicaLynn

Re: Glycerin for a chaffed nose

Post by RicaLynn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:52 pm

Chartreuse, to be precise

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:39 pm

VERY curious as to her reasoning, since millions of nursing mothers and their babes can't be too wrong. Unless you have an allergy it would be ideal as it doesn't have any petroleum in it. Did she recommend a product of theirs as a substitute?
For the record, the mayo clinic recommends against using any non water based product around your nose.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/petroleum-jel ... q-20057784

Why can't millions of people be wrong? Are millions of smokers wrong?

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:40 pm

I have been using chapstick , if it ok for the lips .. it must be ok for the nose

and as you can see my lips need help .
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:08 pm

grayghost4 wrote:I have been using chapstick , if it ok for the lips .. it must be ok for the nose

and as you can see my lips need help .
your nose and eyes don't look so hot either

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:54 pm

cnaumann wrote:
VERY curious as to her reasoning, since millions of nursing mothers and their babes can't be too wrong. Unless you have an allergy it would be ideal as it doesn't have any petroleum in it. Did she recommend a product of theirs as a substitute?
For the record, the mayo clinic recommends against using any non water based product around your nose.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/petroleum-jel ... q-20057784

Why can't millions of people be wrong? Are millions of smokers wrong?
I see nothing in that article that recommends against natural lubricants like lanolin or beeswax. I was curious as to the DME's rationale because aside from you, no one I know in the xPAP community has specifically recommended *against* lanolin, and I suspect the DME's motivation may have more to do with greed than pt comfort or health concerns.

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:49 pm

I see nothing in that article that recommends against natural lubricants like lanolin or beeswax. I was curious as to the DME's rationale because aside from you, no one I know in the xPAP community has specifically recommended *against* lanolin, and I suspect the DME's motivation may have more to do with greed than pt comfort or health concerns.
Last paragraph of the article:
To relieve nasal dryness without petroleum jelly, use a vaporizer or humidifier or try over-the-counter saline nasal spray. If you must use a lubricant, choose the water-soluble variety. Use it only sparingly and not within several hours of lying down.
The safety of products has nothing to do with it being natural or not. Petroleum Jelly, Lanolin, and Beeswax are all insoluble in water, and all have the potential to collect in the lungs and cause lipid pneumonia. Interestingly but irrelevant, both Lanolin and Beeswax contain fatty acid derivatives (esters) and would be considered lipids, while Petroleum Jelly is an alkane and is not technically a lipid.

Petroleum Jelly becomes almost liquid at body temperatures and might have more potential than some other products to run up into your nose and into your lungs and cause problems. It also rapidly degrades thin sheets of latex rubber. Other than that, petroleum jelly is non-toxic and is unlikely to cause any type of allergic reaction. It has a far worse reputation than it deserves.

In additions to esters and long-chain alcohols, lanoline also contains some long chain hydrocarbons that are similar to those found in petroleum jelly.

I can't find good data to suggest that silicone rubber is degraded and faster by petroleum jelly than by lanolin or beeswax.

I am not specifically recommending against the use of any product. I am simply stating that there is no reason to assume that either bees wax or lanolin is completely safe to use in and around your nose. I am a little surprised that lanoline has not come under fire for use by nursing mothers.

VictorC

Post by VictorC » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:07 pm

Thanks everyone. My wife's allergy to lanolin isn't severe. She just gets itchy around it. Thankfully my nose is adjusting to the pillows. It still is painful in the morning, but less so. I'm hoping it will just toughen up naturally. I did try a little glycerin one night. I didn't notice any problems.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:59 pm

I had to stop using the Resmed Air Fit P10 nasal pillows because of chaffed nares.

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm

I use the P10 and before putting in on I put a little Aloe Vera Gel on the pillows. Helps seal and doesn't damage the pillows.