ResScan couldn't see my patient file but I see it!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: ResScan can't find my patient file?? Please Help!

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:30 am

fwiw, I rarely use resscan or windows but pugsy asked if I had any ideas.. so I figured I'd take a look and see if I could come up with any.

the default install I had put the patient files under
c:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients
found in the file explorer.

however, resscan says, (via the tools/patient manager selection) that the directory is in
c:\Users\Public\Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients.

opening a cmd window and cding around, I find that they actually are in

c:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients

so, explorer is lying, it looks like.

Nate, I suggest you open a cmd window, and see if you can find the files. then point resmed there via the tools/patient manager

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

NateS

Post by NateS » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:04 pm

Heartfelt thanks to each of you, Pugsy, letsride, RogerSC, Sludge and palerider!

I finally gave up and resorted to restoring from my backup, which I am embarassed to admit was 9 days old, thinking it was better to lose the last 9 days rather than the prior 2 years of graphs, but then I was delighted to be find that my SD card was able to restore all of the graphs for the last 9 days not merely the statistics.

I guess I will not ever know what corrupted the ResScan file(s). The only thing that occurred between ResScan working properly and my Patient File going AWOL was the latest 13 part Windows 7 system update being installed by Microsoft earlier yesterday, but that is not supposed to touch data files and going to the prior restore point would have done no good since it only rolls back system files, right?

I used to use Cobian Backup to do daily backups of my ResScan data files, but it started acting screwy when I upgraded my Windows virtual disk in Parallels from XP to Windows 7.

I do continuous incremental backups with Time Machine and CrashPlan of my Mac internal hard disk but I exclude the Windows Virtual Disk because these programs treat it as a single huge 125GB file and would tie me up if it was constantly backing it every time I added a new day's SD card data. So instead I include the Windows Virtual Disk file only in my approx weekly full disk backups with SuperDuper.

Any suggestions as to a quick daily Windows backup app for only my ResScan files which would allow me to save the backups to the Shared Folder so that my Mac's continuous backup system would pick them up?

Also, I checked and found I am using ResScan version 4.3 which apparently is not the latest. What is the latest stable version and where can it be obtained now?

Smiling and Happy Again,

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:49 pm

first, yay for recent backups!!!
NateS wrote:I believe that I am using the most current version of ResScan.
NateS wrote:Also, I checked and found I am using ResScan version 4.3 which apparently is not the latest.
I learned long ago that whenever a customer says "I believe have the latest version" it's about a 99% chance that they don't

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

NateS

Post by NateS » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Well I guess I should have left well-enough alone.

After all was back in place and running and, fortunately, re-backed up, I downloaded and attempted to install ResScan 5.1 and in fact ultimately did so after about 6 unsuccessful attempts running the installer as administrator and then running the Compatibility tests until it decided to select that ResScan was originally installed under XP Service Pack 2 even though I distinctly recall originally installing it under Service Pack 3, way back 2+ years ago and before upgrading to Windows 7 in April.

So ResScan 5.1 got installed and it opened but it couldn't open my Patient File (S, Nate) which was still installed in:
Program Files(x86)\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients\
as the earlier version required, and it also couldn't open my Patient File (S, Nate) when I copied it to:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients\
which is apparently where ResMed 5.1 wants it.

Perhaps there was some conversion of the Patient File which needed to occur somewhere along the way and didn't/wouldn't, so I'm back to restoring from the complete backup which I fortunately made earlier today after all was well and good.

So I guess I'll be sticking with the earlier version of ResMed. But at least I get the cute girl with the long eyelash greeting me every morning instead of that ugly new minimalist powder blue and white motif.

Regards, Nate

PS - The restore from backup worked and ResScan is running the older version with my Patient File showing up fine.

nate S

Re: ResScan can't find my patient file?? & NG in 5.1!

Post by nate S » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:01 am

I
It just happened again.!

Nate S

Post by Nate S » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:25 am

Right after another Windows 7 update!
ResCan reads my SD card just fine but can't find my Patient file on the HD even though I can see it from Windows Explorer.

Nate S

Post by Nate S » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:28 am

Right after another Windows 7 update!
ResCan reads my SD card just fine but can't find my Patient file on the HD even though I can see it from Windows Explorer.
I checked the ResScan Clinical Manual but it does not address this problem.
Nate

NateS

Post by NateS » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:24 pm

I guess maybe I'm going to have to start a new thread?

I was trying to avoid being redundant, and having to rewrite all the details all over again, but if no one is looking at this thread because it is "resurrected" then maybe I will have to start all over again.

Best wishes, Nate

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:46 pm

NateS wrote:I guess maybe I'm going to have to start a new thread?

I was trying to avoid being redundant, and having to rewrite all the details all over again, but if no one is looking at this thread because it is "resurrected" then maybe I will have to start all over again.
I looked, I just don't have any answers

NateS

Post by NateS » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:30 pm

palerider wrote:
NateS wrote:I guess maybe I'm going to have to start a new thread?

I looked, I just don't have any answers
Okay, thanks for looking!

It occurred to me that some people avoid resurrected threads, but I appreciate that you looked and thought about it.

I am going to try to add more important possibly pertinent information shortly, having to do with the fact that I seem to have two different folders, yet Patient Manager will no longer recognize the folder that the file "S, Nate" is in.

Regards, Nate

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:05 pm

NateS wrote:Okay, thanks for looking!

It occurred to me that some people avoid resurrected threads, but I appreciate that you looked and thought about it.

I am going to try to add more important possibly pertinent information shortly, having to do with the fact that I seem to have two different folders, yet Patient Manager will no longer recognize the folder that the file "S, Nate" is in.
I'm not a windows guy.... so take this for what it's worth... but I've noticed that windows7 often lies about where data actually is.

a program may look for it in one spot, but windows plays a switcheroo and only pretends the data is there, while it's actually hidden somewhere under your user profile, not under the program folder like it looks like it is.

NateS

Post by NateS » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:27 pm

palerider wrote:
I'm not a windows guy.... so take this for what it's worth... but I've noticed that windows7 often lies about where data actually is.

a program may look for it in one spot, but windows plays a switcheroo and only pretends the data is there, while it's actually hidden somewhere under your user profile, not under the program folder like it looks like it is.
That's very interesting, palerider! Could you be talking about the confusion caused by the so-called "Libraries"? Which are really more like "virtual libraries" because they just collect pointers to files which actually are scattered elsewhere? Much like a virtual public library doesn't really have books on bookshelves? Maybe that's why I avoid Windows 7 Libraries.

Well, once again ResScan was unable to locate and open my "S, Nate" Patient File after a Windows 7 update, even though it was in the same place it always was where ResScan found it on every previous day, and where I could see it myself in Windows Explorer - see below:
Note that the path above originates within a folder called "Program Files x86" and not in the adjacent folder called simply "Program Files" which has never held anything from ResMed or ResScan even though other cpaptalk users report it as being in the other folder on their machines. Mine has always been where it is now. I didn't put it there - my original installation of ResScan did, and every update, including the current one, was okay with it there.

I didn't even bother trying to copy the whole ResMed folder structure into the other Program Files folder because that didn't work last time it got screwed up. I did try to use the Repair Function in the ResScan installer with Enhanced Administrative Privileges but that didn't fix it either. Nor did the Patient File Manager allow me to re-point to the "S, Nate" Patient File nor move it.

Instead, I restored my whole virtual Windows disk from Backup and then updated with the SD card; then, after verifying that everything was found and good again, I re-set Windows Updater from Automatic Updates to Notify and Require my Permission first. I tried to find an option to have Windows 7 automatically take a snapshot just before each update installation, but found none.

Does any of the above added gory details give you, or any of the other resident experts, any clues as to what happened and how to prevent it in the future?

Thanks in advance for your interest and possible replies, as well as those of any other resident experts willing to take a crack at it!

Best wishes, Nate

Jay Aitchsee

Re: ResScan couldn't see my patient file but I see it!!!

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Nate,
Here's what it says in ResScan "Help": The default location for Windows Vista and Windows 7 is C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients and that's where my patient files are (Windows 7, ResScan 5.1). The Default location for XP is in Program Files.
Mine are not in the Program(86) folder, but I do have a ResScan 3 folder there. I think you probably want to move the patients files as indicated in the path above or change the location.

To change the location of the files, use the Patient Manager under tools in ResScan. Patient Manager will state where the files are. Help says to use Browse to change the location, but that doesn't work very well for me, maybe because I wasn't trying as an administrator. (edit) Yes, opening ResScan as an Administrator enables the Browse button.

J

Last edited by Jay Aitchsee on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:17 pm

my meager windows knowledge...
"program files" is for 64 bit programs, "program files x86" is for 32 bit stuff.... apparently windows thinks they need segregation.

as to the rest, what I've seen, for example, is that say spo2 asst thinks it's data is in
c:\program files (x86)\spo2 assistant\data
but it's really in
c:\users\palerider\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\spo2 assistant\data
when I go looking for it with explorer.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:32 pm

Nate, you said in an earlier post (Nov 18):
NateS wrote:So ResScan 5.1 got installed and it opened but it couldn't open my Patient File (S, Nate) which was still installed in: Program Files(x86)\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients\as the earlier version required, and it also couldn't open my Patient File (S, Nate) when I copied it to: C:\Users\Public\Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients\which is apparently where ResMed 5.1 wants it.
Note that the default location is actually C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients, a subtle, but perhaps significant difference? I notice that in the Library View there is a folder named public\documents. But in actually following path, by opening computer, OS(C:), users, etc, the folder is Public\Public Documents.

Where does the ResScan Patient Manager say the folder is? That's where it is looking for the file. Mine does say Public\Documents even though the actual location as I said above is Public\Public Documents. Unless you've changed from the default location, 5.1 is looking in users\Public\... for the patient files, not in Programs Files.

FWIW Windows seems to recognizes "public documents" and "documents" in the public path as the same folder. At least, using either as an address gets to the same place.