ResScan couldn't see my patient file but I see it!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NateS

Re: ResScan couldn't see my patient file but I see it!!!

Post by NateS » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:53 pm

I went back to ResScan 4.3 when I restored from backup back in November.

What if I hedged my bets by leaving it - my patient file (S, Nate) - where it is again being seen at its old spot, but also put a shortcut to it in that Public Documents folder?

Seriously.

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:51 am

Nate, I don't know. I've gone through several upgrades of ResScan on several platforms, from 3.xx to 5.1 on XP, Vista and Win7. If memory serves, I've done each as an upgrade and never had a problem. Thru all the upgrades, I've never manually changed the location of the patient files and they are now located in the default Public Documents location, so I assume the upgrades moved them. Also, I don't recall having to use any special permissions to install the program.

Maybe this is the problem (from Help or the Manual, Re: Installation):
ResScan wrote:Notes:
If you changed the default Patient Group Location in an earlier installed version of ResScan, after installing a newer version you will need to reset the location via the Patient Manager window (see "Patient Group Location").
Maybe, by trying to force ResScan to use the same Patient File location across a couple upgrades or installations, you've confused it.

I think the trick is to get the ResScan Patient Manager (tools) to agree with the actual location of the Patient Group. Also to insure the folder names in the Patient Group are correct and that the folders contain the correct patient lists.

Are you using 4.3 now? If so, how about an upgrade to 5.1 and see if it moves the Patient Group?
If you are using, or want to use, 5.1, why not use the Public Documents Location that it wants to use as default? Why fight to keep it in Programs(86)?
Where does the Patient Manager say the Patient Group is Now? That's where the file should be for any version of ResScan.
If you want to change the location of the Patient Group with the Patient Manager, you will have to open ResScan with an Administrator User.

NateS

Post by NateS » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:28 am

Jay Aitchsee wrote:Nate, I don't know. I've gone through several upgrades of ResScan on several platforms, from 3.xx to 5.1 on XP, Vista and Win7. If memory serves, I've done each as an upgrade and never had a problem. Thru all the upgrades, I've never manually changed the location of the patient files and they are now located in the default Public Documents location, so I assume the upgrades moved them. Also, I don't recall having to use any special permissions to install the program.

Maybe this is the problem (from Help or the Manual, Re: Installation):
ResScan wrote:Notes:
If you changed the default Patient Group Location in an earlier installed version of ResScan, after installing a newer version you will need to reset the location via the Patient Manager window (see "Patient Group Location").
Maybe, by trying to force ResScan to use the same Patient File location across a couple upgrades or installations, you've confused it.

I think the trick is to get the ResScan Patient Manager (tools) to agree with the actual location of the Patient Group. Also to insure the folder names in the Patient Group are correct and that the folders contain the correct patient lists.

Are you using 4.3 now? If so, how about an upgrade to 5.1 and see if it moves the Patient Group?
If you are using, or want to use, 5.1, why not use the Public Documents Location that it wants to use as default? Why fight to keep it in Programs(86)?
Where does the Patient Manager say the Patient Group is Now? That's where the file should be for any version of ResScan.
If you want to change the location of the Patient Group with the Patient Manager, you will have to open ResScan with an Administrator User.
Hi Jay,

These are all very good thoughts and suggestions and I appreciate them. When I can set aside sufficient time to make multiple backups of different combinations of versions, locations, etc. so that I will have multiple options to reverse anything that potentially messes up what is now working again, I will try experimenting with each idea.

Just one clarification or maybe it's a question about this statement you make above:

Why fight to keep it in Programs(86)?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. To the best of my knowledge and recollection, I've never done anything to prevent ResScan from moving or changing the location of my Patient File. When I temporarily upgraded to ResScan 5.1, it did not move or relocate the Patient File from where it had been to where you say it should be, or to anywhere else. What I am thinking is that there was some sort of "conversion" of the Patient File that was supposed to take place when I installed ResScan 5.1 in November and that, because the Patient File was not where 5.1 expected it to be, it was not converted.

When you have a chance, could/would you please clarify?

Also, although I have the manual for 4.3, I no longer have it for 5.1 - I'd appreciate it if you could PM it to me.

Thanks, Nate

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:18 pm

Nate,
In reading the thread, I got the impression you were trying to place the patient file where you thought it should go, i.e., Program Files (86) where it was previously. I also kind of got the impression you copied and saved the files, updated to 5.1, and then pasted the files back into the Program Files location. If that was the case, then 5.1 couldn't find them because it was looking for them in the public\public documents location. But, even if you didn't copy and paste them back, if they weren't in the Public Document location, then 5.1 couldn't find them. I think that's what the NOTE I quoted above is referring to.
In reading the manual, I understand that the patient files under XP are located in the Program Files, but from Vista onward they are in the public documents location, at least for 5.1. I don't know about previous versions.
Since I started with 3.7 on XP and have transitioned to 5.1 on Win7 through several upgrades, I assume that if a change in location was made, it was done through the upgrade process because I don't remember doing it (but who knows?).
Anyway, I think your problem is that when you install 5.1 it is looking for the files in the public documents location and can't find them. If that is the case, then you have to move the files to that location in the proper folder(I think this should work). Before moving the files, you could create a new patient file like "TEST", see where 5.1 puts it and then put your files in the same folder.
Alternatively, if you do not want to move them to the Public Documents location, you should be able to go into the ResScan Patient Manager (under tools) and choose the current location of the files using the browse function. Again, what the NOTE is referring to. To do this, ResScan must be opened by a user with admin privileges.
I don't have a link for the manual to PM, sorry.

NateS

Post by NateS » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:51 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:Nate,
In reading the thread, I got the impression you were trying to place the patient file where you thought it should go, i.e., Program Files (86) where it was previously. I also kind of got the impression you copied and saved the files, updated to 5.1, and then pasted the files back into the Program Files location.
If that was the case, then 5.1 couldn't find them because it was looking for them in the public\public documents location. But, even if you didn't copy and paste them back, if they weren't in the Public Document location, then 5.1 couldn't find them. I think that's what the NOTE I quoted above is referring to.
In reading the manual, I understand that the patient files under XP are located in the Program Files, but from Vista onward they are in the public documents location, at least for 5.1. I don't know about previous versions.
Since I started with 3.7 on XP and have transitioned to 5.1 on Win7 through several upgrades, I assume that if a change in location was made, it was done through the upgrade process because I don't remember doing it (but who knows?).
Anyway, I think your problem is that when you install 5.1 it is looking for the files in the public documents location and can't find them. If that is the case, then you have to move the files to that location in the proper folder(I think this should work). Before moving the files, you could create a new patient file like "TEST", see where 5.1 puts it and then put your files in the same folder.
Alternatively, if you do not want to move them to the Public Documents location, you should be able to go into the ResScan Patient Manager (under tools) and choose the current location of the files using the browse function. Again, what the NOTE is referring to. To do this, ResScan must be opened by a user with admin privileges.
I don't have a link for the manual to PM, sorry.
Jay,

If you are referring to my Nov. 18, 2014 post in this thread, here's what I said about that:
NateS wrote:Well I guess I should have left well-enough alone.

After all was back in place and running and, fortunately, re-backed up, I downloaded and attempted to install ResScan 5.1 and in fact ultimately did so after about 6 unsuccessful attempts running the installer as administrator and then running the Compatibility tests until it decided to select that ResScan was originally installed under XP Service Pack 2 even though I distinctly recall originally installing it under Service Pack 3, way back 2+ years ago and before upgrading to Windows 7 in April.

So ResScan 5.1 got installed and it opened but it couldn't open my Patient File (S, Nate) which was still installed in:
Program Files(x86)\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients\

as the earlier version required, and it also couldn't open my Patient File (S, Nate) when I copied it to:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients\
which is apparently where ResMed 5.1 wants it.

Perhaps there was some conversion of the Patient File which needed to occur somewhere along the way and didn't/wouldn't, so I'm back to restoring from the complete backup which I fortunately made earlier today after all was well and good.

So I guess I'll be sticking with the earlier version of ResMed. But at least I get the cute girl with the long eyelash greeting me every morning instead of that ugly new minimalist powder blue and white motif.

Regards, Nate

PS - The restore from backup worked and ResScan is running the older version with my Patient File showing up fine.
So the lost Patient File happened twice - first after a big Windows 7 automatic upgrade, and again after I installed ResScan 5.1 and neither event moved the Patient File out of its original location as far as Windows Explorer was concerned, but in each case ResScan 4.3 couldn't find it after the Windows 7 update and ResScan 5.1 couldn't find it after the ResScan update to 5.1 which, as you note above, was very problematic, making me very leery of updating back to 5.1.

In addition, after installing ResScan 5.1, I never tried to move it back to Program Files (x86). I only tried to copy and paste the Patient Files folder to the Public Document location where everyone told me it was supposed to be. (Of course, in November I made the mistake of using Windows Explorer's copy and paste instead of ResScan's Patient Manager, so maybe it would have worked if I had used Patient Manager.)

But from what you can see above in the numerous other problems I described in trying to upgrade to 5.1 and then having to go back to 4.3, you can probably understand my reluctance to go that route again when 4.3 seems happy with the way things are, at least for now.

Trying to move ahead in a safer and less risky way, do you think I could install ResScan 4.3 into a different Windows User (or maybe it's already there since I may have originally installed for all users), copy my data files there with Explorer copy-and-paste (assuming the Windows Clipboard is common to all users), then install 5.1 over 4.3 and then try to use Patient Manager to put the Patient Files where it wants them? That would hopefully not screw up my present setup and give me a risk-free, simple way to try to advance to 5.1 and hopefully reduce future incidents of ResScan being unable to see/read my patient file.

But maybe there are pitfalls with that proposed experiment which I do not see.

Regards, Nate

lilyaqha

Post by lilyaqha » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:03 pm

You can see your own sd card data? How do you do this??

NateS

Post by NateS » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:56 pm

lilyaqha wrote:You can see your own sd card data? How do you do this??
Well, we are talking about ResScan, a Windows program which reads, analyzes and graphs and displays and/or prints out xpap data; and also about Windows.

Anyone can see any data on their computer which resides on either the internal hard disk or on any peripheral including an SD card, via Windows Explorer.

In addition, ResScan is supposed to display the data from within the program itself, but at the times described in this thread, it stopped doing so.

I hope that is responsive to your question, lilyaqha.

Best wishes, Nate

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:16 pm

NateS wrote:
lilyaqha wrote:You can see your own sd card data? How do you do this??
Well, we are talking about ResScan, a Windows program which reads, analyzes and graphs and displays and/or prints out xpap data; and also about Windows.
in other words, start your own thread, or, read the first announcement

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:54 pm

NateS wrote:But maybe there are pitfalls with that proposed experiment which I do not see.
Nate, I think it would be tricky to load two different instances of ResScan at the same time, since both, by default, would be loaded into Program Files(86) and both would be available to all users. Typically, if 4.3 were loaded, an install of 5.1 would result in an upgrade of 4.3 to 5.1. Now it should be possible to change the default install location, most installers provide that option, but there still could be conflicts.

I suggest when installing ResScan (and other programs), if possible, to do so from an administrators account, not a standard account using "run as an administrator". For me, it seem to cause fewer problems.

It seems to me your problems began with a failed windows update and an upgrade to Windows 7. It is unclear to me if you had problems installing 4.3 prior to this update and upgrade.

In a normal Win 7 4.3 install, your patient files should have been in Public Documents. However, you said in your post of Nov 18 that, "it started acting screwy when I upgraded my Windows virtual disk in Parallels from XP to Windows 7".

In a normal XP install, patient files would have been in Program Files(86), so the upgrade to Windows 7 with 4.3 could have set the stage for the ResScan Patient File manager to loose the location of the patient files, since I presume they were still in Progam Files, but the default location now with windows 7 is under Public Documents, so any action that would cause ResScan to verify the Windows version it was runing under might cause it to point to the wrong location.

In trying to get 5.1 to run, you said you used the XP compatibility mode which essentially tells ResScan you're running XP. Now, 5.1 doesn't find the files, so you go back to 4.3 and it's happy thinking you're running XP and finds the files in Program Files(86).

I don't know if this is what happened, but it makes a good story and it kind of fits the facts.

I think, at this point, you should try to get the files to the Public Documents location which would reduce upgrade problems in the future.

One of the easiest ways might be to copy the Patients Folder (ResMed\ResScan3\Patients\) currently under Program Files(86) and paste it onto the path, C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\ (you'll have to create the ResMed and ResScan3 folders in this path such that the new path is C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ResMed\ResScan3\Patients ). Then, while using an admistrators account, go to the ResScan Patient Manager and browse to this new location to set it as the new Patient Group location. In the meantime, you could rename the original folder something like OLDPatients to temporarily prevent it from being used. Just to be clear, the ResMed and ResScan3 folders in the pubic path hold nothing but the Patient file. The same named folders in the Program Files(86) hold the ResScan program files and need to stay in place.

If the new location works, you're good. If not, remove the "old" from the front of OLDPatients in the Program Files(86) and point the Patient Manager back there.

If it does work, you can consider upgrading to 5.1 again, although honestly, execpt for the welcoming graphics, I doubt you would see much difference between it and 4.3

Note: If you had no trouble installing 4.3 to begin with, I would consider uninstalling and reinstalling to make sure it's not running under the XP compatibility mode. If 4.3 is reinstalled, the default patient location should be in public documents. If the patient file wasn't moved prior to the reinstall, you would have to move it there manually as above, or point the ResScan Patient Manger to the Program File location.