New cpap user- What to do if I wake up at night?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: New cpap user- What to do if I wake up at night?

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:27 am

Hey Den,
These new machines don't turn off in the presence of large leak like the old machines did. They keep right on blowing as long as they think a human is on the other end and that human is breathing.
Here below is one of my less glorious leak reports. Massive leak on my part (combination of headgear stretched out of shape and not fitting well and nasal pillows that were very tired).
I do use Smart Start (the auto on/off feature in the S9) and it kept right on blowing air during my big leak time.
Also the S9 machines will turn off very quickly once it senses no human is breathing...unlike the Respironics machines even with auto on/off being set to on..where with the Respironics it would blow a full 60 seconds and register massive leak for that period of time and thus skew the leak numbers. The few seconds the S9 (or the new AirSense) might blow before it realizes a human isn't breathing often won't even show on the leak report. If it shows at all it's a very brief spike that ends quickly and the only thing it might affect is the maximum leak number.

That said...I still just turn the machine off manually when I remove the mask either in the middle of the night or in the AM. Old habit from the M series machine where that 60 seconds would mess up the leak numbers.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

msla

Post by msla » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:40 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:... You may leave your mask on or take it off. I do both...

Sheriff

Sheriff,
Now you are bringing Physics into the equation, Schrödinger's Cat?
msla

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:32 am

msla wrote:
Sheriff Buford wrote:... You may leave your mask on or take it off. I do both...

Sheriff

Sheriff,
Now you are bringing Physics into the equation, Schrödinger's Cat?
msla
... I'm a dog-guy...

damburke

Post by damburke » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:10 pm

I've been on the AirSense 10 for about 2 months now. Took me a few days to get comfortable with it. When I get up to use the bathroom, I just take apart my mask hose to when I return I plug it back in. I don't do anything else and this seems to work fine for me.