Going to try to get Provigil.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
codinqueen

Re: Going to try to get Provigil.

Post by codinqueen » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:30 pm

Google Cephalon (the company that makes Nuvigil) to see if there are any coupons on their website. This stuff is expensive and the coupons they had on the website helped me to afford it until my medical insurance changed to $1500 deductible (each) for this year, so I don't use it anymore. It is about $500 a month if you don't have a co=pay on your drug plan until you reach your deductible. It helped me when I used it, now I fall asleep at my desk sometimes, even though I use my CPAP every night. I got the DR to order the highest dosage and then I split each pill 4 ways with a pill-splitter, so I got about 4 months out of 30 pills for $50 a month using the coupon from the manufacturer. Provigil and Nuvigil are basically the same drug, its just that Nuvigil was released after Provigil and they were trying to get their share of the market with the coupons.I would use it again in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Maybe I will go back on it next year, my employer is going back to copays on our prescription plan for and Dr visits next year.

Pressure 6-10 cm

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:06 am

codinqueen wrote:Google Cephalon (the company that makes Nuvigil) to see if there are any coupons on their website. This stuff is expensive and the coupons they had on the website helped me to afford it until my medical insurance changed to $1500 deductible (each) for this year, so I don't use it anymore. It is about $500 a month if you don't have a co=pay on your drug plan until you reach your deductible. It helped me when I used it, now I fall asleep at my desk sometimes, even though I use my CPAP every night. I got the DR to order the highest dosage and then I split each pill 4 ways with a pill-splitter, so I got about 4 months out of 30 pills for $50 a month using the coupon from the manufacturer. Provigil and Nuvigil are basically the same drug, its just that Nuvigil was released after Provigil and they were trying to get their share of the market with the coupons.I would use it again in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Maybe I will go back on it next year, my employer is going back to copays on our prescription plan for and Dr visits next year.

Thank you! I will look for the coupons.

Mask: Flexifit 407

mossytreesprite

Post by mossytreesprite » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Hey Noctuary - I just thought I would check in with you and see how you're doing and if you decided to move forward with the provigil or not. In the last week, I have had a serious change of heart - the reason? My therapy finally started to work. I feel really fortunate that I've adapted so well to the ResMed adapt (no pun intended, but I'll use it anyway ) - I'm actually sleeping and waking up clear headed. I'm now quite glad that I didn't go for provigil, because some of the improvements are quite subtle (although others are dramatic), but I might not have been as perceptive of the improvements if I were using an artificial wakefulness inducer (how about that for a collection of words? )
I definitely would not judge anyone for a second for needing to use a medication like this - lack of sleep is brutal, but I'm now glad that I somehow powered through the months of struggle because it makes me appreciate the improvement that much more. I'm still struggling with feeling depressed, but my neurotransmitters have been bruised & beaten for years, so I'm sure it will take more than a couple of weeks for them to balance out. I've tried just about every anti-depressant out there, but they never really work for me and the side effects are hell.
The main downer I'm struggling with right now is that I blew out a disc in my lumbar spine on Monday, so the whole cycle of Dr's appointments starts again. I'm so frustrated, because I truly just want to be healthy, but my body seems to disagree a lot. Honestly, if I went to the Dr as often as they tell me to, I don't think I'd ever do anything else! Last I checked, there's no living wage available from visiting the Dr, only becoming one... After this last blow out, I've decided to nickname my spine as my personal axis of evil. If they ever come up with a spine replacement surgery, I'm going to be the first one on the sign-up sheet.
Anyway - I just wanted to see what you decided to do and see if you're feeling any better - I really hope you are.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

mossytreesprite

Post by mossytreesprite » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm thinking of trying a full face mask; I had forgotten my obvious mouth leak problem (I talked about it on the SSSSS thread). Maybe I can give that a try before more medication.
I wanted to respond to this point too. I've been using a hybrid ff mask, and although it wasn't working when I initially switched to ASV, all of a sudden, I've adjusted it properly and it's working like a dream. I recently realized that I've been incorrectly identifying it - I am using the respironics brand (I think) hybrid. There are only two to choose from - either the ResMed Liberty or the other one - I'm using the other one . It's less expensive than the Liberty mask - I think I paid $116 for it. It came with a nice carrying case, S M & L mouthpieces and nasal pillows, and instructional CD. It has been a perfect mask for me - the bridge my nose was in such bad shape from trying to use a traditional ff mask. I don't remember exactly which online store I bought it from - I think I just google-shopped and picked the lowest available price. It could be worth a try...
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:00 pm

I've tried 100 mg. and 150 mg. of Provigil; nothing. I think I got a bottle of placebos from the control group; I wish I could return it.

Mask: Flexifit 407