Sleep Apnea and Low T for Men

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
carbonman

Re: Sleep Apnea and Low T for Men

Post by carbonman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:01 pm

tlewis303 wrote:Wow, Did you feel better once the level was up?

Yes.....but it is so gradual.
Like my tag line implies, you have to push yourself.
Years ago when I contemplated my first TripleByPass bike ride,
I formed a question for myself, "How bad do you want it?"
Everyday, I ask this question.

In the past 2yrs, many days, I didn't really care because things
just seemed too dark.....but some how, there were enough days
that I did want it bad enough to fight for it.

I'm getting back to the place where most days I answer,
"I want it, I'm taking it."
That feels good.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

tlewis303

Post by tlewis303 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Oh, sounds like your moving forward, thats great....

BigTex

Post by BigTex » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:19 pm

I am on TRT and has been for years.
I also use more test then prescribed from time to time.
My prescription is inject able, its a preference mostly but I am married to a nurse so getting shot in the butt is easy and quick.

Trt does not lead to prostrate cancer.
its been plenty of studies out there that shows its not the case.
Here is a pretty good article talking about different studies,etc.
http://www.lef.org/magazine/2008/12/des ... er/page-01

TRT does not really cause BHP either as long as you control your hormones.
DHT makes your BHP worse and also leads to hair loss.
Certain medication that contains ephedrine will make your prostate swell too.

Your hemocrit and hemoglobing plus rbc will/can increase.
I have a phlebotomy done every 2 or 3 months and my levels are normal, even with using more test then prescribed.
Your estrogen can increase if you use too much or you are sensitive to it. So you should have blood work do monitor for this.
if it increases then you need something to block it, its a common thing.

I sleep fine on TRT and I am a big guy.
Low body fat but weighs 250+ at 6'.
My AHI is lower then 2 on an average. My biggest problem is the mask leaking.

Getting on TRT was a huge improvement.
Life is just better for me while on. Its like the days are longer and brighter.
My mood is better and I dont feel so "blue".
The cpap was also a great benefit. I bring that thing every where I go.
Its been to 3 different countries and even when I went camping

When it comes to testosterone therapy do not get your info from the news media.
99% of what you read is simply wrong. Even my hematology doc who is a cancer doc too had no problem with me using it.
So much of the assumptions about trt is just that, assumptions.
There are several new studies showing the benefits and debunking the old so called risks.

bv1800

Post by bv1800 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Sleeprider wrote: I should have been clear, that those being treated for OSA should not be significantly affected as they have the option to change pressures, while untreated individuals may experience increased severity of OSA. YMMV.

Perhaps we can agree this thread suggest that men being treated for OSA that do not feel relief in mental alertness, fatigue, and possibly E.D. would be well-served to at least look at their T levels as an underlying problem.
Agreed on your more in depth comment.

We can definitely agree that checking T levels should be done, esp if a month or two of CPAP treatment doesn't improve mental alertness, fatigue and possibly E.D. Heck, I'd even say check them when being checked for OSA. Just be careful if you start T therapy before getting successful CPAP therapy going.

tlewis303

Post by tlewis303 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Does anyone know how T therapy impacts sleep apnea? Whats behind it?

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Don't want to be a wet blanket but in some cases guys have low T simply because they are getting OLDER. Some things change as we age. Trying to artificially feel 25 when you are 50 or 60 something may cause other imbalances. Also there are any number of drug that can knock your virility into a cocked hat.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Carbonman, I've never heard of T levels recovering naturally to that extent. Quite a story, and I'm sure there are many other physical and mental benefits from your hard work.

bv1800

Post by bv1800 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:50 am

zorki1c wrote:Don't want to be a wet blanket but in some cases guys have low T simply because they are getting OLDER. Some things change as we age. Trying to artificially feel 25 when you are 50 or 60 something may cause other imbalances. Also there are any number of drug that can knock your virility into a cocked hat.
While you are correct that T lowers with age, if you'll look at the comments in this thread, NO ONE over 50 who has commented, is looking to "feel 25". This is about have a T level that so low that you can't function properly.

bv1800

Post by bv1800 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:56 am

Sleeprider wrote:Carbonman, I've never heard of T levels recovering naturally to that extent. Quite a story, and I'm sure there are many other physical and mental benefits from your hard work.
Gotta wonder about fat loss. Carrying large amounts of body fat will cause men to produce estrogen, instead of testosterone. It's one of the reasons that it's SO freaking difficult to lose weight if you are obese (I speak from experience on this one). Combine fat loss with anything close to "strength training" (e.g., body weight exercise like squats and push ups) and I could definitely see someone having a large increase in T level.

tlewis303

Post by tlewis303 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:48 am

I wonder if it takes up to a month or 2 to feel better?

Malibu

Post by Malibu » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:00 pm

I saw an immediate difference but didn't feel the full effects until about the two month mark

It was just as the doctor said. It's not an "overnight fix" but more a gradual improvement

TV commercials make it sound like you are going to feel 25 again (and some may but haven't heard of any myself) but mine was more a sense of well being as in brain fog gone, fatigue gone, which made sleeping much better. The compounding pharmacist said that also....don't expect to be 25 again but you will feel a ton better...and he was right

Malibu

Post by Malibu » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Still not sure how it effects sleep apnea. GP doctor was wondering if it was muscular in nature that made it worse.

The pulminologist doc said fatigue not fixed by normal sleep tends to make a person sleep lighter. Feeling good and sleeping well apparently let's you sleep deeper and REM is easier to achieve

Googled it and still don't have a definitive written answer though.

tlewis303

Post by tlewis303 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Did your brain fog get less and less until it was gone or did it just disappear overnight? How many weeks of treatment before you noticed that change?

Malibu

Post by Malibu » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:14 pm

I noticed a 70 percent gone from fatigue and brain fog by day 3. 85 percent by week 3. Near 100 percent by week 7. All subjective of course.

At 232 I had brain fog and muscle fatigue. Been trying to find an answer since fall of 2005. Now I have the answer. Kind of mad that it took almost 9 years to resolve but ecstatically happy I'm feeling great again. In the doctors defense low T has only been in the fore front for the last few years.

tlewis303

Post by tlewis303 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Malibu,
Wow, you sound identical to my situation. I was at work about 4 1/2yrs ago and all the sudden I just felt this strange fuzzy feeling in my head and started having memory issues like almost right away. I at the time could remember everything and in a flash it was gone. Mostly short term. Long term not so much affected. I went to lots of docs and couldn't get to the bottom of it. About a year later (2011) I did have a T test run and it was around 464 not out of range but on the low side. So they didn't treat it.
Now grant it I still have fog right now as I've only been on the gel a week tomorrow. I know everyone if different and I have to test in 4 weeks to see if levels are up.
But I wonder it the 464 was enough me for me to start with symptoms. My numbers now are 233 before treatment and I've been feeling sickly over the last 2-3 months. I'm trying to be patient but everyday is like different levels of feeling tired and sick inside. But last weekend 3 days in the Gel I felt ok but still foggy.
Its so frustrating.... I'm in IT and can't believe I've been able to function well over the years with this issue.
Sorry don't mean to complain...