anyone here regularly use some sort of sleep aid?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Denial Dave

Re: anyone here regularly use some sort of sleep aid?

Post by Denial Dave » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:16 pm

My regular sleep aid is my resmed S9 vpap machine. Can't sleep without it.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Davidwnc

Post by Davidwnc » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:03 pm

ohbrian wrote:A small bite of a special brownie before bed. Works like a charm.
Brownies never worked for me....but vaporizing does the trick (but not to help me sleep)

#MRWA. Make racism wrong again.
#MFWA. Make fascism wrong again.
Remainer/Revoker/Rejoiner

MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:58 pm

I take klonopin at bedtime and I dont beat myself up over it like you sound like.

I will tell you one thing you can take at bedtime that is great for insomnia and is actually good for you. OTC calcium magnesium supplements. Get the good ones, they cost around $20 a bottle. Take the full strength dose near bedtime with water. They are a neuromuscular relaxant and combat insomnia, you will be out like a light. They can worsen the apnea however, so beware of that. I use an APAP that can compensate for increased pressure needs.

cal mag supplements are not physically addictive, they dont cause weight gain, many of us are deficient in either magnesium or calcium.

Solarray makes a good cal mag citrate supplement. Its the one I use sometimes. Before CPAP in the olden days, I used to use them A LOT.

Eric
Id be dead by now if I didn't use my CPAP gear every night.

Not Fade

Post by Not Fade » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:45 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:They are a neuromuscular relaxant and combat insomnia, you will be out like a light.
This is nonsense. You sound like you have been sucked in by Mercola.

Unless you have a deficiency of calcium confirmed by regular lab tests, stay away from calcium supplements. Supplements are associated with increased cardiovascular disease due to deposits in arteries.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:53 am

Not Fade wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:They are a neuromuscular relaxant and combat insomnia, you will be out like a light.
This is nonsense. You sound like you have been sucked in by Mercola.

Unless you have a deficiency of calcium confirmed by regular lab tests, stay away from calcium supplements. Supplements are associated with increased cardiovascular disease due to deposits in arteries.
As one who thinks alot of what Mercola says is BS, many people have found that taking cal/mag supplements does help insomnia. Other folks find that just taking magnesium helps. For me, it is none of the above.

But you're right, you do have to be cautious about taking too much extra calcium. I have been cautioned about this by both my Primary Care Doc and Cardiologist.

49er

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:14 am

I have used a small dose of melatonin for a period of a few years in the past. Thinking of resuming. Also used to take magnesium at bedtime and just never got more when I ran out. Just typing this I'm thinking, no wonder my sleep has deteriorated. Duh. Guilty of thinking since I was sleeping good I probably didn't need them any longer.

Hey, in another thread I had asked some questions I didn't see a response to. Did you get a chance to see them and consider if any of it was applicable to you?

Snufflewrinkle

Post by Snufflewrinkle » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:43 am

[Hi people,

Yes I do use sleep aids.......,I always say comfort and at ease is no.1,But horrible sleeps like yours truly. I sleep with a extra large stuffed toy that I cherished, when was good.......no stress, no responsibly before having look for a job etc. but I often sleep with several stuffed toys every night!

On yes being a person who has passion for thunderstorms and that is hating that is! I wear a headpiece which was made to block the sound!!size]

Davidwnc

Post by Davidwnc » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:53 pm

The Choker wrote:Not to change the subject, but how is the situation in Belgium?
Relatively relaxed. Not relaxed like the Netherlands (i.e. no licensed cafe's or any of that), but relaxed.
A couple of years ago there was some talk of bringing in a Dutch type system here in Belgium....but so far nothing has come of that.
About two years ago the Dutch changed their laws so that in boarder towns it is now forbidden to sell to someone who isn't a Dutch resident (there were traffic jams in the towns bordering Belgium and Germany on the weekends) so now if you want to buy you have to go further in (just a couple of miles more.....)

#MRWA. Make racism wrong again.
#MFWA. Make fascism wrong again.
Remainer/Revoker/Rejoiner