Free from sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rosacer

Re: Free from sleep apnea

Post by rosacer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks for the idea Archangle but the problem is not missing the mask it's the whole thing Also, wearing only the mask makes difficult to breath if the machine is not connected and working, I use the Headrest and it has a long tubing.

Last night I slept only 5 hours I don't know why, I was maybe nervous but I can't say it was the reason. I woke up at 4 a.m with the left nostril blocked (I had gone to bed a 11pm) and I was not able to fall asleep after that. Weird enough because other days I woke up, I toke my antacid (which I need to take at least 30 minutes after eating), I toke the mask off and I felt asleep; go figure out !

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Congrats!!

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:11 pm

archangle wrote:Maybe you could wear the mask with no hose attached.
Like a security "binkie"

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:35 pm

kaiasgram, dont talk about that

My mother told me when I was a baby they needed to have spare pacifiers for me at hand. One day I lost the only one I had, my father needed to go in the middle of the night find an open pharmacy to buy one, other way nobody was going to sleep that night because of me crying without stop They learned the lesson

Thanks freepostg

Question for you folks. Does somebody had tried an ultrasounds humidifier ? The ones without filter and cool mist, not the ones which heat up the water. Does that work well ? Here cold is already arrived and the air is dry because of the electric heating.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:24 pm

rosacer wrote:Question for you folks. Does somebody had tried an ultrasounds humidifier ? The ones without filter and cool mist, not the ones which heat up the water. Does that work well ? Here cold is already arrived and the air is dry because of the electric heating.
A few years back we bought a Vicks brand humidifier (cool, no filter) and it sprayed a white coating all over the walls and ceiling (walls and ceiling are natural wood). It did put out the humidity, but it was a mess to clean up when we got ready to put it away. Then, we got out the old one with the filter and everything's good again (also cool humidity).

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
rosacer wrote:Question for you folks. Does somebody had tried an ultrasounds humidifier ? The ones without filter and cool mist, not the ones which heat up the water. Does that work well ? Here cold is already arrived and the air is dry because of the electric heating.
A few years back we bought a Vicks brand humidifier (cool, no filter) and it sprayed a white coating all over the walls and ceiling (walls and ceiling are natural wood). It did put out the humidity, but it was a mess to clean up when we got ready to put it away. Then, we got out the old one with the filter and everything's good again (also cool humidity).

Den

The white you mention is disolved rock from the water, if you used distilled water, the rock fallout would be gone. Another consideration in heated humidifiers, they work by passing electricity between two electrodes, using distilled water in this type of unit will result in it not working, salt must be added to conduct the electric. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:19 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Den

The white you mention is disolved rock from the water, if you used distilled water, the rock fallout would be gone. Another consideration in heated humidifiers, they work by passing electricity between two electrodes, using distilled water in this type of unit will result in it not working, salt must be added to conduct the electric. Jim
I know........but that would have been way more distilled than I want to buy. Cheaper buying filters.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:39 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Den

I know........but that would have been way more distilled than I want to buy. Cheaper buying filters.

Den

Our water is so hard, running a shower leaves a coating on everything in the bathroom.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:41 pm

Congrats Rosie. Around here we tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to weight loss and OSA. You apparently adopted that mindset - two tests and you're still doubting. I can only imagine how hard it would be to retrain my brain to not fear going to sleep without cpap. But if I had the opportunity you have, I'm pretty sure I'd figure it out. Enjoy!

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:55 pm

rosacer wrote:Thanks for the idea Archangle but the problem is not missing the mask it's the whole thing Also, wearing only the mask makes difficult to breath if the machine is not connected and working, I use the Headrest and it has a long tubing.
You could disconnect the short hose just above your eyebrows, but that only takes care of the air problem.
"Spray" humidifiers create white dust near the humidifier. Ultrasonic humidifiers create microscopically small white dust that ends up absolutely everywhere. Back in the old days before flat panel TV's, it concentrated in and on my TV because of the electric fields and I was afraid it would short it out. "Boiling" type heated humidifiers probably don't do this. The degree of the problem depends on the hardness of the water. My ultrasonic humidifier had an optional filter type thing that was supposed to remove the minerals, but I didn't use it very long, and it had to be replaced every so often. The humidifier did work fairly well except for the dust.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:06 am

Years back I bought a Bionaire which uses two wicks and a fan to blow thru the wicks to pick up the moisture - so Cool Mist - no white dust. I has two 3 gallon tanks and lasts the week. I love the thing but don't think they make this exact model any longer.

Like this but it doesn't give water capacity on the site I saw it
Bionaire Whole House Cool Mist Console
BCM3855C-U

CONGRATS Rosie - good job.

We will miss you and I want you to know your English is much better than my French

ohwhatanight

Post by ohwhatanight » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi - just read your post after I posted about my own weight loss and weaning off CPAP. I am also having bariatric surgery in a week but have already lost enough weight that I've seen drastic improvement and have needed to lower my pressure. So, I imagine I will be in your shoes soon and wondering how I am going to sleep without my nose hose. I really DO want to not have to use it, but after 3 years it is hard to imagine how I will be able to sleep without it. I thought maybe I will try short naps at first (once I know for certain I don't need it) and then build up to a whole night. It will be quite liberating to not have to deal with cleaning everything, packing it up to take on trips, the dry eyes from leaks, the cold air blowing all over the place, the condensation, not to mention the less-than-sexy part. So, I look forward to it and will be following you to see how you say goodbye to your old friend.

Day_Dreamer

Post by Day_Dreamer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:02 pm

Congrats

So how bad was your sleep apnea? AHI? RDI ? from the original sleep test

What else have you changed beside diet and exercise?

90lbs WOW!!!

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi Den. Thanks a lot for the idea of using only the mask it was a really good idea. I can't disconnect the hose from the Headrest.

Last night I went to bed and waited 5 minutes to fall asleep and I say it was not going to happen so I put my mask on. I felt asleep very fast as usual but I woke up in the night with the mouth all dry, the tape unglued from my mouth what a mess and I needed to go work so I toke the mask off and started to try to fall asleep without it. I was feeling something was missing I was not able to fall asleep because I was feeling something miss. Then all the sudden I remembered your suggestion to use only the mask but I was not able without starting the CPAP, eureka I realized what I was feeling was missing was the pressure the Headrest makes around my head, the Headrest has a band around the forehead and the head to support the nasal pillows.

What can I do to solve the problem, what can I do ? Voila, I have the thingy we put over the eyes with an elastic to hide from the light. I had one on the drawer at my night table. I grabbed it, I put it on and it toke nothing to fall asleep. THANKS DEN

Tonight I will try it first instead of the machine it that doesn't work I will put the mask and machine again but I swear that I will fight to get rid of the CPAP because I can't lost this opportunity that a lot would like to have.

Archangle, Den, Guest (?), Goofproof: Thanks very much for the information about the humidifiers, now I don't know which one to buy
by kteague on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:41 am

Congrats Rosie. Around here we tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to weight loss and OSA. You apparently adopted that mindset - two tests and you're still doubting. I can only imagine how hard it would be to retrain my brain to not fear going to sleep without cpap. But if I had the opportunity you have, I'm pretty sure I'd figure it out. Enjoy!
Thanks kteague . Yes I tend to err a lot on the side of caution and I remember how sick I was when I started treatment after months of refusing it because I had no clue what sleep apnea was at the time. I'm also a little afraid because I don't wake up as rested as I did when I use the CPAP, but I need to say I don't sleep as much as I should and my schedule changes all the weeks it doesn't help to a good sleep hygiene. I need to test and see if once I manage to stop using the CPAP all goes well, other way I will start again with it

I have friend who has his heart complexly finished because of sleep apnea, I don't want that to arrives to me or to destroy my brain. I will let you all know the results of my test (I mean not using the CPAP) whichever it will be.

Rosie

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:18 pm

I forgot to tell that I plan to come back to the forum even if it is only for lurking

I wouldn't like to lose all what I learned about OSA, machines, etc because I would like to be able to continue to help the ones I find on my way and have OSA. Presently, there is a colleague at work whom told me he is going to have a machine for in home test in 2 or 3 weeks. He thinks he has OSA. I told him I will help him with it if it happens he is testes positive. He doesn't speaks English.

Rosie