Free from sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Re: Free from sleep apnea

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Following the episodes of your "mini-series" with interest, Rosie.

Yes, we are complicated.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

mecheng

Post by mecheng » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:42 pm

I have just come across your post and am somewhat relieved to see that I am not on my own having trouble coming off these machines.
Back in June I was also told to come off the machine having lost 40lbs from my original weight of 180lb. Not as dramatic as your weight loss and I congratulate you on that. I now have a BMI of 23 and am pleased with that.
I also had a two night sleep test which came back clear. I tried to do without my machine but also could not sleep, after 3 sleep deprived nights I but myself back on it.
On holiday in September I had to do without my machine for four days as we were off grid and our battery power would only supply one machine (my wife is on APAP as well) and needed it more than me. This time I managed to sleep but I still felt the need for it and could not wait to get back on it.
In October at another meeting with my sleep doctor I was ordered to come off it again and my wife was instructed to lock my machine away. This time I made it two weeks before getting back onto my machine. I had also been monitoring my oxygen levels and although I had no major desaturations my levels were down 2% and I felt exhausted on two days. I never did suffer daytime sleepiness just chronic exhaustion.
I do intend to give it another go but on my terms and not the doctors, and if it does not work being on the machine is not the end of the world as far as I am concerned. Feeling better with plenty of energy to exercise wins with me every time.

Wife as above. Respironics Wisp Nasal mask
Using Sleepyhead and Encore Basic software and CMS 50L pulse ox. Withing's pulse O2 and Sleep as Android for sound.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:14 pm

might it help to lower the pressure .5 or 1. each day or eache week ... till you are at 4 cm .
this might make it easier to set it aside.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

RestedRebel

Post by RestedRebel » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:34 pm

I've lost 130 pounds (without bariatric surgery) but still use my machine. First of all, my sinuses need the humidified, filtered air. Secondly, I still get the occasional hypopnea but I am able to use the machine on apap mode with far less pressure. I love breathing the filtered air, and even though I don't snore anymore, my machine has become my security blanket. I have kept my weight off and like feeling good. So happy I was not told to give up my machine and nasal pillows.

Best wishes to you on finding what works best for you. No one can possibly know better than you what works best for you.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Congratulations RestedRebel, wonderful weight loss. The reason why I'm interested on leaving the CPAP is because of the nasty marks on the face each morning, other way I would continue gladly because me too I love the clean and humidified air.

greygost4, my problem to leave the CPAP is the sinus blockage when I don't have humidified air to breath all the night, the pressure is not a problem. I think I will finish buying a humidifier once I will be sure I don't have OSA for real

mecheng, if you like your machine and you don't see an advantage to leave it, continue using it. My doctor told me I could continue using my machine if I wanted to, he said I didn't need to stop if I didn't want to stop. To him it was no harm done if I use it . My doctor is a very good pneumologist, very kind and he is specialized on sleep apnea; he should know what he is telling me.

Again the oxymetry was good last night, although my finger was sore I don,t have frog's fingers

I slept 7 hours 15min without CPAP. I was woke up because of the blocked sinus, yes again. I sleep with the thing over the eyes for the light, I don't know the name of that contraption and it works number one to simulate the mask pressure around my head

I think I'm getting used to sleep without the CPAP, it takes way less time to get ready to bed now that I don't need to put check and add water to the humidifier, put the lansinoh, put the cream around the lips to protect the skin from the micropore tape, put the right amount of tape over the lips, put the mask on and wait the machine to start (start it manually if not), put the ear clogs; what a ritual it was but I slept so well with my CPAP Most of the nights I had no recollection of anything but to have put the mask on and then waking up in the morning after 8 hours, good times

Slowly I'm becoming confident to sleep without the CPAP, if it is not of the dry air all would be better.

Good night.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Tune in tomorrow for another exciting episode of "The Adventures of Rosie"

Sweet Dreams!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Sitting here.......tapping toes, twiddling fingers, clearing throat.......waiting for the next episode to air........

And, I see you're posting in a thread on the front page about buying masks in Canada........ REALLY? Sheesh!

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Den my sweet heart, I need to continue to be informed about the CPAP world other way how can I continue to be of any help to my friends with OSA ? I have a friend whom has a in home sleep test this night YIKES

I thought you was only making fun about my adventures with the CPAP

OK this is how things are doing.

Until now I have bought 2 humidifiers (I returned one ). I wake up each night because of a stuffed sinus . Then unable to fall asleep in that terrible condition

I make function the humidifier full blast before going to bed but each night I wake up around 4:30 am. I have a big patio door and all the water from the humidifier finish there sliding on the glasses isstead of in the air

Some times I turn and toss for 1 hour before falling asleep again or I put the mask and the problem is fixed right away. I have a saline solution bottle on the night table but it does nothing.

Last night it was the same scenario; wake up at 4:30, turn until around 6:00, alarm get off at 6:20 I was tired at work. Today I will use my lovely CPAP (which I have set at 6 cmH2O) because I work tomorrow and I need to have some rest .

I really don't know what I can do to fix this problem with my delicate sinuses, what a boring situation. If the only way to sleep all night without waking up is to continue using the CPAP I will need to do so. For now that is the plan until I can find the solution.

Good night everyone

Rosie

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Sounds like nature is trying to tell you something. I'd listen harder. Otc med's can help but it comes with it's own devils. Using xpap is a small price to pay for the benefits received. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:55 pm

rosacer wrote:Den my sweet heart, I need to continue to be informed about the CPAP world other way how can I continue to be of any help to my friends with OSA ? I have a friend whom has a in home sleep test this night YIKES

Until now I have bought 2 humidifiers (I returned one ). I wake up each night because of a stuffed sinus . Then unable to fall asleep in that terrible condition

I make function the humidifier full blast before going to bed but each night I wake up around 4:30 am. I have a big patio door and all the water from the humidifier finish there sliding on the glasses isstead of in the air

Some times I turn and toss for 1 hour before falling asleep again or I put the mask and the problem is fixed right away. I have a saline solution bottle on the night table but it does nothing.

Last night it was the same scenario; wake up at 4:30, turn until around 6:00, alarm get off at 6:20 I was tired at work. Today I will use my lovely CPAP (which I have set at 6 cmH2O) because I work tomorrow and I need to have some rest .

I really don't know what I can do to fix this problem with my delicate sinuses, what a boring situation. If the only way to sleep all night without waking up is to continue using the CPAP I will need to do so. For now that is the plan until I can find the solution.

Good night everyone

Rosie
Thanks for the latest "episode".
I'm DEFINITELY NOT "making fun" of your endeavors to get off of XPAP therapy. (maybe injecting a little humor along the way to keep things interesting, but that's it.) I'm genuinely interested in your saga and will read your updates as long as you wish to contribute. And, I thank you for doing so.

Best wishes,

Den

User since 05/14/05

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:00 am

Rosie,

Since having good sleep is vital to you maintaining your weight loss, if using the machine is what you need to do, then that is what should happen. No ifs, ands, buts, about it.

49er
rosacer wrote:Den my sweet heart, I need to continue to be informed about the CPAP world other way how can I continue to be of any help to my friends with OSA ? I have a friend whom has a in home sleep test this night YIKES

Good night everyone

Rosie

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:25 am

Mecheng, you need a different sleep doctor--
Or none at all--maybe you don't really need one any more.
Continue to do what works for you and kick the doctor out of your bedroom!

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:45 pm

Heloooooo

Last night I used the CPAP as I told you I was going to. It toke more time to fall asleep than in the past I loosing the habit . It was around 11 pm

I slept until 5 am and I woke up I don't know why I was unable to fall asleep after that. You can imagine I was tired today and I found the day VERY LONG. I work standing, walking, some times I need to climb a ladder, bending, kneeling down; hard to do that 7.5 hours.

This night I will use again my lovely CPAP because I'm TIRED.

I had forgotten to tell you that when I don't use the CPAP I don't wake up any more dizzy. I don't know why it happened in the pas but yeah, I don't have dizziness any more

Good night

Rosie

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:17 pm

I think we all come to rely on the machine.You got used to using and you can get usedto being without it.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:17 pm

Last night was so far the best I have had without CPAP. I feel more confident sleeping without the CPAP, I mean I don't have the little fear I had at the beginning.

Here what I have done.
1) I bought a warm vapor humidifier which I made function at different settings and amount or hours. I think the best is to let it at slow setting working all night starting it 2 hours before going to bed.

2) I installed a small ceiling fan to ensure the humidity from the humidifier is well mixed all around in the room. I let the fan function at slow speed.

3) I set the thermostat in the room at 22 Celsius (yes ) because I don't want the humidifier to heat up the air and be wake up because of that. I have a good cover on my bed I have no cold.

4) I used a Neilmed saline rinse on my sinus before going to bed.

5) I put my ear plugs and my eyes cover. Remember it simulates the mask pressure around the head and helps to hide my sensitive eyes from the light at sun set.

It was not perfect, I still woke up at 4:30 am but my sinuses were not as blocked as other times and I was able to fall asleep in 30 minutes or so which is not bad compared to the other times when I was not able to fall asleep again. My sinuses opened enough once I drank some water. Some times drinking water helps others not.

I'm tired (it is only 6:10 pm ) I think I din't sleep enough and I'm very sensitive to the sleep deprivation.

Maybe this night is CPAP's night again I'll see.

The night before I used the CPAP, I slept well but I woke up with a small teeth sensitivity. Some of you would maybe remember that once I had a very strange teeth pain and it happened to be bruxisme due to my reaction when I noticed I was mouth breathing ( closed very fast and hard the tooth).

Good night and nice sleep to you all (CPAP or not)

Rosie