How the Feds Made the Country Fat

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Re: How the Feds Made the Country Fat

Post by 49er » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:37 am

Far be it from me to defend the government, but the medical community was also very much into the idea that fats are bad and carbohydrates are good
Totally agree. In reading the article, it is clear the federal government has been behind the 8 ball big time nutrition wise and will sadly continue to do so. But it isn't like the medical community wasn't completely innocent either and wasn't capable of finding out the truth if they chose to do so.

On a related note, when I told my PCP about my concerns about having metabolic issues due to low fat sugar loaded oatmeal spiking my blood sugar up to 180, she was absolutely stunned. Can't blame that on the federal government as she was probably believing in the American Diabetes Association crap that a high carb, low fat diet was the way to go to prevent diabetes.

Back to the topic - In reading the article, it is interesting how the federal government folks are in denial about what the research shows. They are doing the "yes but" routine that so many medical professionals do when confronted with facts that show a treatment doesn't work that they have an invested interest in in defending.

Thanks for posting the link Choker.

49er

Davidwnc

Post by Davidwnc » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:40 am

49er wrote:On a related note, when I told my PCP about my concerns about having metabolic issues due to low fat sugar loaded oatmeal spiking my blood sugar up to 180, she was absolutely stunned. Can't blame that on the federal government as she was probably believing in the American Diabetes Association crap that a high carb, low fat diet was the way to go to prevent diabetes.
Oatmeal is sugar loaded?

#MRWA. Make racism wrong again.
#MFWA. Make fascism wrong again.
Remainer/Revoker/Rejoiner

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:51 am

Davidwnc wrote:
49er wrote:On a related note, when I told my PCP about my concerns about having metabolic issues due to low fat sugar loaded oatmeal spiking my blood sugar up to 180, she was absolutely stunned. Can't blame that on the federal government as she was probably believing in the American Diabetes Association crap that a high carb, low fat diet was the way to go to prevent diabetes.
Oatmeal is sugar loaded?
Hi Davidwnc,

I ate the fruit flavored kind in which sugar is added. But many pre diabetics and diabetics have mentioned that eating plain oatmeal without sugar also greatly spikes their blood sugar on many forums.

In thinking back over this conversation, either the PCP didn't realize that fruit flavored oatmeal which I clearly mentioned I had eaten has alot of sugar or she was under the erroneous impression that any low fat food can't possibly cause a spike. No matter what, she was obviously misinformed.

49er

Davidwnc

Post by Davidwnc » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:06 am

Ahh. ..I have the plain oatmeal (well, I do add a bit of cinnamon) with unsweetened almond milk. No sugar spikes.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:07 am

Does this mean I can blame Obama for my weight?

Sheriff

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:10 am

Davidwnc wrote:Ahh. ..I have the plain oatmeal (well, I do add a bit of cinnamon) with unsweetened almond milk. No sugar spikes.
I will have to try it and see what happens. Glad you can eat it without any problems.

49er

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:08 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:Does this mean I can blame Obama for my weight?

Sheriff

Davidwnc

Post by Davidwnc » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:05 am

49er wrote:I will have to try it and see what happens. Glad you can eat it without any problems.
Also, don't use the instant/quick varieties...they are more broken up/crushed. The more 'whole' the oats are, the longer it takes to get into your blood stream....

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:08 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Does this mean I can blame Obama for my weight?

Sheriff

None of our Presidents have examined what our out-of-control Federal departments are doing. Yes, they do a lot of damage to our country.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:24 am

Davidwnc wrote:
49er wrote:I will have to try it and see what happens. Glad you can eat it without any problems.
Also, don't use the instant/quick varieties...they are more broken up/crushed. The more 'whole' the oats are, the longer it takes to get into your blood stream....
Great advice, thanks.

bv1800

Post by bv1800 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:37 am

Janknitz wrote: Fat has an appetite suppressing quality. When I first went on low carbs I just wasn't hungry. I logged my food and found I was only eating about 900 calories a day--way too few as it was causing my thyroid to poop out (and not losing weight as a result!). If I tried to get by on 900 calories of carbs I'd be a starving, raving maniac. Try to eat 900 calories of butter and say you're still hungry--I dare you.
This also applies to issues like cholesterol. Do a Google search for natural ways to control cholesterol (or dietary ways) and you'll see that eggs are still being treated as the spawn of the devil, even though research has demonstrated that 1) there's no relationship between the cholesterol that we eat and cholesterol levels in our blood and 2) the cholesterol in eggs is predominantly the "good" HDL. This doesn't even get into the vitamin D and vitamin B benefits of eating eggs. I suffered from moderately high cholesterol (213 total) and low HDL. I did all of the old recommended dietary things (more grains, no eggs, lean meat, etc) and saw my cholesterol go up to 225. When I gave up on that and went back to eating eggs, etc, my cholesterol dropped below 200.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:41 am

Oatmeal IS sugar. Your body breaks starches down into simple sugars, and your body doesn't distinguish between something that started out as an unsweetened grain cereal and the spoonful of sugar you put in your coffee. Eating a whole grain slows things down, but whole grains still have a glycemic impact along with many other negative effects on your body.

Try a test. You will need a glucometer which you can purchase at any drug store. Walmart brand Relion meters and strips are inexpensive. One morning test your blood sugar before eating anything. Then eat your bowl of unsweetened oatmeal. Don't drink anything with calories or eat anything else. Test your blood sugar at 15 minute intervals from the first bite of oatmeal until it returns to the pre-meal level.

The next morning, do the same test with bacon and eggs.

For a really fun comparison, have your favorite candy bar the third morning for breakfast.

Now, you tell me, is oatmeal sugar?
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:51 am

Janknitz wrote:Oatmeal IS sugar. Your body breaks starches down into simple sugars, and your body doesn't distinguish between something that started out as an unsweetened grain cereal and the spoonful of sugar you put in your coffee. Eating a whole grain slows things down, but whole grains still have a glycemic impact along with many other negative effects on your body.

Try a test. You will need a glucometer which you can purchase at any drug store. Walmart brand Relion meters and strips are inexpensive. One morning test your blood sugar before eating anything. Then eat your bowl of unsweetened oatmeal. Don't drink anything with calories or eat anything else. Test your blood sugar at 15 minute intervals from the first bite of oatmeal until it returns to the pre-meal level.

The next morning, do the same test with bacon and eggs.

For a really fun comparison, have your favorite candy bar the third morning for breakfast.

Now, you tell me, is oatmeal sugar?
Oh, let me do this experiment since candy is involved. It may take a few days for me to get the stuff but I will definitely report back on this.

49er

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:02 am

Just go out trick or treating, someone is sure to give you candy
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Davidwnc

Post by Davidwnc » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:22 am

Janknitz wrote:Now, you tell me, is oatmeal sugar?
I have played around with what oatmeal does to my blood sugar.
If I have wholegrain oatmeal, made with unsweetened almond milk my blood sugar stays low.
If I have the 'fun' kind of oatmeal (the instant kind with all the flavourings and stuff in it) my blood sugar goes high.
So for me, while fun oatmeal = candy bar, it's not true of the way I have mine. YMMV

Or perhaps I have stupid blood that is easily fooled,