Apria and credit cards

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JeffV

Apria and credit cards

Post by JeffV » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:19 am

So I got a call back from Apria working toward my initial setup (a week sooner than expected, actually) - they told me they'd be setting me up with a Respironics DS560 (which if I'm not mistaken is an APAP and one of the machines I was looking at myself - astonishment from me since my order only specifies CPAP). They told me right up front they'd be requiring my credit card on file, though. I told them point-blank that wasn't an option. Am I right in that? I've heard some horror stories on here about Apria abusing credit card information. Am I being too paranoid here? I have a DME offering me a top-of-the-line APAP out of the gate, but requiring a credit card to secure the rental... I don't want to get taken, but at the same time am I being too careful by walking away from that? (Also, not particularly interested in dealing with Apria, but if I can get an APAP run through the insurance with minimal headache...)

BlackSpinner

Re: Apria and credit cards

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:22 am

Don't give that credit card.
You might get a prepaid one specially for them?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:30 am

The 560 is a great machine.
You are correct..it is APAP but also has cpap mode available...2 machines in one.

I think maybe I would get one of those prepaid cards with not much $$ on it and pretend it was my credit card.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JeffV

Post by JeffV » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:48 am

Hm... I do have an old credit card that's only got like a $500 limit that I never use. Maybe I could give them that one. I work for a bank, and I know full well how to dispute credit card charges if it comes to that...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:52 am

There you go...you could use that old card and if Apria tries to pull a fast one on you ...you already know how to deal with them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:59 am

You know, it would help if every time apria abuses a credit card the victim would contest the charge with the credit card company. It costs the credit card companies money to resolve disputes, and they will punish apria with fees and maybe even yank their merchant credentials.

When you have a credit card, the credit guarantee goes in both directions: the cc company is guaranteeing your credit to the merchant, but they are also guaranteeing the merchant's credit to you. Make it cost apria money/time/aggravation when they misbehave.

JeffV

Post by JeffV » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:06 am

Whelp, that was a treat. I called them back and they're ordering the equipment. Expect to hear back in less than a week. 45 minutes on hold for a 2 minute conversation. Hopefully this is worth the aggravation...

@cathyf: I have no problem disputing charges and/or having the card re-issued to stop them from charging me. Nice thing about giving them a card number I don't use for anything else is that I don't have anything at all charging to that card number, so I have absolutely no issues changing it out if needed.

Now to find that card...

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:11 am

JeffV wrote:I have no problem disputing charges and/or having the card re-issued to stop them from charging me. Nice thing about giving them a card number I don't use for anything else is that I don't have anything at all charging to that card number, so I have absolutely no issues changing it out if needed.

Now to find that card...
In the old days when AOL relentlessly advertised for new subscribers it was really easy to sign up, but impossible to cancel. (Like the Hotel California ) An old trick was to get a credit card for only this purpose and then cancel the card in order to cancel the service.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:17 am

I wouldn't give them squat... but that's just me. I have been doing business with Apria for years. When I went in to pick up VPAP, they asked me for a credit card to put "on file". I just laughed and laughed... but that's just me...

Sheriff

JeffV

Post by JeffV » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:20 am

cathyf wrote:
JeffV wrote:I have no problem disputing charges and/or having the card re-issued to stop them from charging me. Nice thing about giving them a card number I don't use for anything else is that I don't have anything at all charging to that card number, so I have absolutely no issues changing it out if needed.

Now to find that card...
In the old days when AOL relentlessly advertised for new subscribers it was really easy to sign up, but impossible to cancel. (Like the Hotel California ) An old trick was to get a credit card for only this purpose and then cancel the card in order to cancel the service.
Yep, I have customers run into the exact same problem these days with payday advance loans. Once they get that number, they will pull payments whenever they want to, no matter what. Fortunately, I'm quite experienced dealing with that - sounds to me like the principle is the same.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:27 am

JeffV wrote:I do have an old credit card that's only got like a $500 limit that I never use.
I think $500 is way too much for Apria, get a prepaid card with $25 on it that will drive em crazy.

It is a shame you have to wait another week.
JeffV wrote:I have a DME offering me a top-of-the-line APAP out of the gate, but requiring a credit card to secure the rental... I don't want to get taken,
I would start working with this other DME (whoever they are) and go with whoever comes thru first. When Apria yanks you around again next week you'll understand.

fwiw - I just told Apria I don't have any credit cards they did get a machine w/o it.

JeffV

Post by JeffV » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:34 am

I think $500 is way too much for Apria, get a prepaid card with $25 on it that will drive em crazy.
There's also nothing saying that I don't call the credit card company the day after they run it and reduce the limit to $50...
When Apria yanks you around again next week you'll understand.
Oh, quite possible. I'm quite ready to walk out the door if/when that happens. But they surprised the hell out of me by offering to supply me the 560 out of the gate without having to argue over a brick... I'm willing to at least give it a shot.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:38 am

I received my PRS1 from Apria about a year ago. They asked for my credit card. I asked what is the maximum charge I might expect to see, They did not know. I asked the price of the machine, they did not know. I asked the amount of the monthly rental and the duration, they did not know. I said I never sign blank checks. After a half dozen more requests for my CC I left with my equipment. On subsequent visits they have asked for my CC a dozen more times. Now they know me at the branch. They smile and just ask is there anything else I can do for you. All this while I stand in front of the notice requiring a CC on file.

Crapria will never get my CC. I will have to figure out how to get money to them in January when my revised insurance plan will require a 20% copay.

Although they are still clumsy, the local office is friendly and eventually seems to get me what I ask for.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:56 am

Did you inquire WHY they needed the card?

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:27 pm

LSAT wrote:Did you inquire WHY they needed the card?
No need to inquire they have a full page posted at the reception window explaining the policy. In case the insurance doesn't pay.