Chocolate & Sleep?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sir NoddinOff

Re: Chocolate & Sleep?

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi Ogeo.
Here's the settings from your signature line:
Additional Comments: Max PS - 11; Max EPAP - 18; min PS - 7; Min EPAP - 14; rate auto; rise x2; pressure averages between 21 and 24.9

I would suggest that it might not be your allergy adjustments that are clearing your head but, to the contrary, those very high ASV pressures (nothing wrong with that, of course). Whatever works. Keep us posted on your allergy testing.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

needzzzzs

Post by needzzzzs » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:05 pm

There is a scientifically proved correlation between eating chocolate and an increase in acid reflux (AKA GERD). The awakenings may be due to an increase in acid reflux. Same with coffee, alcohol, and a few other foods.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/opini ... night.html

Just my $.02.

Debbie
MyJanine wrote:I know this has zero foundation on any Google search or medical support, but...
I have a pet theory that I've been working or for a few years. On days when I eat a serving of dark chocolate (especially in the PM) I always wake up many times during the night. This has a distinct feeling which is different from a caffeine rush. Theobromide?
Note: This is not "myjanine" I'm her husband watching her daily afternoon intake of dark chocolate. Sleepyhead is showing multiple wake-up in her APAP data.

MyJanine

Post by MyJanine » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:20 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Warning, Janine's husband! For your own safety, do NOT get between a woman and her dark chocolate.
If the worst happens, you have only yourself to blame.

HA!! LIKE.
Froggy, I will take your sound advice to heart.
Last edited by MyJanine on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:25 am

needzzzzs wrote:There is a scientifically proved correlation between eating chocolate and an increase in acid reflux (AKA GERD). The awakenings may be due to an increase in acid reflux. Same with coffee, alcohol, and a few other foods.

If I eat chocolate within a few hours before bed AND forget to take my medication, I am guaranteed to wake up a couple hours later with gerd, and possibly bad enough to get sick. This includes chocolate syrup in milk or on ice cream. But as long as I took my medication, then it doesn't bother me.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:29 am

RogerSC wrote:Whole cockroachs would be a problem, but I already know that I get rat hairs, miscellaneous insect parts, and so on, in my food, so what's a few cockroach parts compared to the pleasure of good chocolate?
And there's this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/us/a- ... emory.html

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:25 am

With my chronic sleep deprivation due to pap therapy intolerance issues, I can't say for sure that eating chocolate late in the day causes insomnia. On a related note, out of desperation not to fall asleep prematurely after dinner, I have tried drinking weak coffee in the late afternoon. Still didn't prevent me from dosing off.

So in my case, it would be next to impossible to establish any correlation with whether chocolate causes insomnia or not because there are too many other issues going on. But I can see why it would cause problems in certain people do to it having caffeine even though it isn't terribly high if I remember correctly.

49er

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:20 am

Hmm, I've wondered why premium chocolate is so much better than the cheap stuff.
I imagine the 'spensive stuff has less cucuracha.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:09 am

kaiasgram wrote:
RogerSC wrote:Whole cockroachs would be a problem, but I already know that I get rat hairs, miscellaneous insect parts, and so on, in my food, so what's a few cockroach parts compared to the pleasure of good chocolate?
And there's this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/us/a- ... emory.html
Got to make sure to keep the chocolate away from the snails...they're a million of 'em around here during the winter, all I need is for them to be smarter than me *smile*. There's probably a movie there somewhere *smile*.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:02 am

Ogeo, I have a friend who is allergic to poultry. About 20 years ago she got exposed to it somehow (probably chicken broth in something) and had a severe reaction with anaphylaptic shock and seizures. She then ended up with epilepsy from the brain damage caused by the anaphylaxis.

So chicken is a don't-fool-around allergy. Every so often I come across someone who is trying to do an elimination diet to track down a food sensitivity, and they always seem to be eliminating everything BUT chicken and rice. I always warn them that either the chicken or the rice could be their problem!

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:41 am

People don't get it (and not having gone to med school, it's not surprising ), but an allergist told me long ago (since backed up by others doctors) that ANYone can develop an allergy to ANYthing at any time in their lives. Period. It doesn't matter how much you ate of something (or wore something) in the past, or what something is made of, etc. etc., allergies are just weird.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:10 pm

Julie wrote:People don't get it (and not having gone to med school, it's not surprising ), but an allergist told me long ago (since backed up by others doctors) that ANYone can develop an allergy to ANYthing at any time in their lives. Period. It doesn't matter how much you ate of something (or wore something) in the past, or what something is made of, etc. etc., allergies are just weird.
Yep, I developed an allergy to amoxicillin when I was 47. I've taken it a bunch of times over the years for this and that and never had a problem. Then I got pneumonia and on the 9th day of the 10-day course I broke out in a rash. It's a really characteristic rash -- I went over to my kid's school and the school nurse let me in the door. She took one look at me and frowned and said, "Are you on antibiotics?" I went to the doctor that day and got a formal diagnosis. Good thing that by the 9th day I was totally cured of the pneumonia!