Fed up with Bait and Switch

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MtnguyNC

Fed up with Bait and Switch

Post by MtnguyNC » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:27 am

After many years on CPAP I found a mask that works perfect for me but I have run into "Bait and switch" in getting supplies ordering the Hybrid and being supplied a cheaper knockoff. The mask I love is called "The Hybrid" by Innomed but even after stating the mask, company, replacement numbers in my order they try to switch me to a Resmed product called "The Liberty"?...nothing against Resmed but the mouth cushion has no integrity and will not keep my mouth shut at night because of weak chin support. Is this standard practice, do the suppliers make more off of another company verses the one you request?.. Thanks all, just ordered supplies again and went through a parent company of my supplier to get my order correct but found out today the order got hung up because my local supplier "made some side deal" ...since the parent company has the Hybrid in stock I have forced the order and they have evidently processed the order ...will let you know how it turns out...thanks..

JDS74

Re: Fed up with Bait and Switch

Post by JDS74 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:29 am

Separate comment. Have you tried a cervical collar to help with jaw drop?

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:44 am

Yes...suppliers often have special "deals" with mask manufacturers....if they sell ResMed machines they get to buy ResMed masks (the Liberty in this situation) probably at a reduced price than what they normally pay for the Innomed Hybrid.
Since most insurance companies pay a fixed amount for a mask (whatever kind) they make more money on the mask they paid less for. So they will push what they make the most money on..

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:46 am

When a business, any business, orders products for resale they run into a couple of issues.
First there is minimum order requirements from suppliers.
Then there are volume discounts.
If your provider does not stock the brand you want and has to special order, they will have internal costs associated with doing things different. There will be shipping costs for a small order, in addition to the issues I mentioned above.
So rather than going out of there way to make a customer happy for a reduced profit they might do what you experienced.

MtnguyNC

Post by MtnguyNC » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 pm

I ordered my Hybrid from American Home Patient who have my mask in stock but can not ship it because a local supplier forced a cancelation of the order?...the guy is taking it to his manager because something is rotten in denmark..will update when the manager calls me back..thanks.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:33 pm

If all else fails, you can get it from the company that hosts this forum.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/RespCa ... -Mask.html
Out of network for insurance, but if you are OOP, you may not need to dig so deep.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 pm

MtnguyNC wrote:I ordered my Hybrid from American Home Patient who have my mask in stock but can not ship it because a local supplier forced a cancelation of the order?...the guy is taking it to his manager because something is rotten in denmark..will update when the manager calls me back..thanks.
Not many here have heard of AHP. There is a thread titled "Apria or American Homepatient? " where someone is looking for feedback on service etc.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:39 pm

I would suggest that instead of ordering "The Hybrid Mask" for which they can substitute A hybrid mask of any model, ask specifically for the "Innomed Hybrid HYB500" and tell them "no substitutions". They should tell you up front if they don't provide that brand.

You can even ask your doctor to write your prescription specifically for the "Innomed Hybrid HYB500, DISPENSE AS WRITTEN".
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:15 am

My first several experiences with my DME (Crapria) were horrible.

In spite of a very explicit Rx from my Sleep Doc indicating a very specific CPAP machine, Crapria sent me whatever they made the most money on.

I had to argue and fight with them in order to finally get them to give a credit for the crappy machine I sent back to them. It tool very close to a year to get that done.

I ended up buying the prescribed machine from our Host and sending in for reimbursement from CIGNA. It cost me out of pocket, but at least I got the machine that the Sleep Doc thought would give me the best therapy.

I have been on CPAP Therapy since 2006 and have never received a call from, no seen, an RT (Respiratory Therapist) from Crapria.

They refused to provide me with any support for the machine, including how to clean it etc., because I didn't get the machine from them.

I found that odd, because they bill the insurance company a separate charge for the RT to work with the customer.

I learned everything I needed to know from the great people on this forum.

But be prepared to fight back at the DME if they don't supply you with what was prescribed by your Doc.

naturalisbest

Post by naturalisbest » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:12 pm

I'll bet if you call the manufacturer to help you they will tell you who sells honestly in your area. Resmed has a lot of pull because they have machines and can force the dealers to carry only their line. Tell your doctor to give you a prescription that says the Hybrid is medically necessary. The Liberty is no more a Hybrid than the Respironics Go Life is a Swift or Aloha mask. They just look alike but are vastly different masks. Good luck.

MtnguyNC

Post by MtnguyNC » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:18 am

The issue has been settled with my local supplier(Blue Ridge Home Care). A big thank you to Ron in the Hendersonville, NC office in keeping me informed and American Home Health for helping get the problem resolved. My mask is now in stock and available in Western NC and will ship out today. After being agitated in the beginning I have to admit that these 2 companies have settled the matter quickly and I look forward to now being able to get my supplies when needed.

Sincerely...Dave Brown

MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:25 pm

The only solution is to just buy your own off the Internet. I buy a lot of my CPAP stuff direct, I cut out the insurance companies and the brick and mortar DMEs...they tend to just screw things up around half the time.

You want...sometimes you just got to pay $$$$ yourself. Its just the way it is.

Eric
MtnguyNC wrote:After many years on CPAP I found a mask that works perfect for me but I have run into "Bait and switch" in getting supplies ordering the Hybrid and being supplied a cheaper knockoff. The mask I love is called "The Hybrid" by Innomed but even after stating the mask, company, replacement numbers in my order they try to switch me to a Resmed product called "The Liberty"?...nothing against Resmed but the mouth cushion has no integrity and will not keep my mouth shut at night because of weak chin support. Is this standard practice, do the suppliers make more off of another company verses the one you request?.. Thanks all, just ordered supplies again and went through a parent company of my supplier to get my order correct but found out today the order got hung up because my local supplier "made some side deal" ...since the parent company has the Hybrid in stock I have forced the order and they have evidently processed the order ...will let you know how it turns out...thanks..
Id be dead by now if I didn't use my CPAP gear every night.

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:25 pm

MtnguyNC wrote: in getting supplies ordering the Hybrid and being supplied a cheaper knockoff. ..

The last time I checked the ResMed Liberty was much more expensive than the Innomed Hybrid. $207 vs. $116.

But I agree with you, the Innomed is a much better mask and it was the original "hybrid style" mask.

ResMed did a few things to get around the Innomed patent.

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:27 pm

BTW, I have been in that Hendersonville area a few times and it is one beautiful area with a great climate.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Midnight Strangler wrote: . . . ResMed did a few things to get around the Innomed patent.
--and most of those things were not improvements.